What's new

Would you refuse to buy the winning format if "your" format loses? (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Reading some of the more partisan comments on here prompts me to ask. I remember laserdisc diehards saying they would never buy into dvd. Me, I won't have a problem with whichever format proves itself the most desireable in the marketplace.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Interesting question, Robert. I, too, remember the "I-won't-buy-into-DVD" screams from the late 1990s. Same thing here, to some extent.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek

Idiots. Morons. Delusional crackpots who call themselves AV enthusiasts. And I plead guilty to all of them. I will go with the winner (go, Blu Ray!) because in the end it is about the PQ, and either format will be vastly superior to standard definition. I am more concerned with bugs getting worked out, so I will be waiting for 2nd generation, anyway (first generation releases being limited to single layer, possible 1st gen player problems with eventual dual layer, that sort of thing). While HD will not (completely) replace SD for me, it will live right alongside of it (I still love my LDs)....:D

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I plan to jump right in a pick a first gen HD-DVD player off the shelf. If the format dies, it dies, not much I can do, but I'm not going to wait it out. We could have both formats for years.

I will, when the prices fall to those of HD-DVD, buy into Blu-Ray. If that means 2 players in my rack, I've got the space.

I figure I'll buy a first gen HD-DVD player, if there are too many problems (bugs) with it I'll return it and wait for the 2nd gen. After all BB has a 30 day return policy, too me, that's a free month trial period.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
My first jump in will be a BD player at the end of the year. If it looks like both formats are going to survive longer than expected and there are HD-DVD titles out that I really want and it appears they won't ever make it to BD I would probably end up getting both. But I don't see BD going anywhere, especially when looking at who is behind it, and I'm not just talking Sony. If the worst case scenario comes about and BD goes under and new releases are only on HD-DVD, of course I'll end up with an HD-DVD player. But we are talking years down the road before something like that happens.

I'm most interested in seeing what titles don't and do have ICT enabled. If it doesn't look good I'm staying out until I upgrade my equipment which won't be for a couple years.

Greg T

Stunt Coordinator
Only Blu Ray for me....and if Toshiba pulls off a miracle(not likely at all), I would buy an hd dvd player down the road if it were an Onkyo, Pioneer Elite, Denon, Sony es, Marantz ect...because Toshiba builds crap...other than the one good player they built about 7 years ago.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Well, I am sure many would say they won't switch. But, in reality most (99%) would be lying. I am sure many said they would never buy VHS after BETA failed. Besides my uncle and Al Bundy, I don't know of anyone who followed through. Actually, Al Bundy did end up with VHS. He stoled the VCR from Marcy's. So, that only leaves my uncle who refused to switch. A copy of "Annie" can only go so far before it loses entertainment value.

Waste years of High Def just to prove a point when I have an HDTV? Naaa.

I will be honest. I do tend to prefer one format over the other. I won't say which (don't want to be labeled a "fanboy.") Seems anytime I make a suggestion of any kind or ask a question with a video game console; I am automatically labeled a fanboy. In reality, I am just asking or sharing my thoughts. So, I won't start that with other technologies.

Imagine that person out there who refuses to change from DIVX. Someone out there like this likely exists.

So, yes. I do have a preferred option. But, it won't keep me from adapting to the other if my choice loses.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek

What model# was that? All I remember is that Tosh players in general dominated the "Glitch List" over at DVDFile by a margin of at least 3 to 1....

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
Laserdisc aficionados had valid reasons why not to buy into dvd in the begining. The audio sucked, 16x9 discs were sparse, and a lot of dvds had hideous compression problems. Fortunately all of those things were cleared up and were never a problem again. ;)

mylan

Screenwriter
I bought the Toshiba 2107 in Nov.97. It was the second generation player and I still have it upstairs on my "non-critical tv". It gets used mainly for kids movies for when we babysit. It has never required service of any kind and only now refuses to play certain discs due to excess scratching nor will it play a DVD-R.
I usually wait until at least the second generation of anything new to give them time to work out the kinks. By that time, we'll see how the format wars are going but yeah, i'll buy whatever wins..eventually.

Antonio S

Stunt Coordinator
I will wait this one out.
When the "clear" winner is decided and I go out to make my purchase, I will have one of my standard DVDs with me to insure that I'm getting a superior image, with BOTH formats.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Well, I have a DVI input, not HDMI, on my TV. Oddly, whenever I hook up the DVI (using a HDMI to DVI cable) it adds a dark horizontal bar to all of the component inputs. So, I will have to purchase a new TV before I can jump into either format. By the time I can afford the TV I want, I think that the format war will be over (a comment more on my finances than anything). So, although I want Blu-ray, I'll buy the winner based on that.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I'll wait for the clear winner. Given Sony's track record at trying to create new standards, HD-DVD may do better than expected.

John Milton

Second Unit
I'm strongly pro-BD but I have already preordered both BD and HD DVD movies so it looks like I'll be supporting both formats. :)

Stan Rozenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
I am currently pro hd dvd, though not rabid about it in any way, just my preference considering the information that is out there. I also think that either hd dvd will win, or both formats will thrive via universal players.

However, if I am wrong, I'll buy a blu-ray player when I can afford one, maybe even by the end of this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks