What's new

Is it imasculating for a grown man to ride a bicycle? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Okay, i'm 33 years old and I don't drive (don't want to get into why right now), my primary modes of transportation are public transit, my feet and now a bike. I've never complained and I usually used to walk to and from work everyday, it was a 45 minute walk and about 4 and half miles each way.

In my eyes walking is good for you, anyway, so I didn't mind it at all.

Anyway, for a couple of years i've been meaning to buy a bicycle to get back and forth to work on and finally two weeks ago I pulled the trigger and bought a nice men's bicycle from Wal Mart.

I've been riding it ever since and i'm loving it, it only takes me 18-20 minutes to get to work as opposed to 45, so that's great. But, here's my problem, I feel really self-concious on it, maybe it's because up until I bought it the last time I rode a bike was almost 17 years ago and i'm not used to being on it just yet.

What really compounded this feeling was I was watching an episode of VH1's I Love Toys and one of their features was the bicycle, they made it sound as if bicycles were toys only to be ridden by children, that really made me feel wierd about owning and riding one.

I see adults riding bikes all the time but they are usually big ten speeds, mine is a modest but very nice XR-75 Mongoose 21 speed with 26" wheels, i've made some additions to it by buying a new seat (the one it came with was too small and too hard) with a flashing tail light built-in, a headlamp for the handlebars, a water bottle for the Summer that mounts to the frame and an on-board computer with an Odometer, Speedometer and distance timer display that mounts on the handlebar as well.

To me, riding a bike will be great for both my cardio vascular and resperatory systems in the long run and also gives my legs a nice workout everyday.

Anyway, i'm rambling, my main question is is it considered imasculating for a 33 year old guy to ride a bicycle? Maybe i'm just being silly, but you tell me. ;)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Is the Tour de France a children's event?

Riding a bike is not emasculating and furthermore why would you care what other people think?

Enjoy the bike and stopping worrying what other people think.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Well, I don't care what people think, really, but the bike I bought doesn't necessarily look like an adults bike, even though it is a men's bike.

I'm sure i'll get used to it.

BTW, I totally forgot about the Tour De France, that does make me feel better. :)

DougR

Second Unit
Hell... I'm 59 and I ride my Bike every chance I can get !!\

Never Lost my "Package" between my legs !!:D

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Get a banana seat and some chopper handlebars. You'll be the baddest hombre on your block. :D

Here's the questions you need to answer:

1. Do you ride with your knees swung way out to the side?
2. "You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?"
3. Were you expecting to look like Lance Armstrong with a bike from Wal-Mart? Seriously? Is it a Huffy?

Brad

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I know what your problem is. You need to put some baseball cards in the spokes. :)

Seriously, though, enjoy the bike.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Q: Is it imasculating for a grown man to ride a bicycle?
A: No.

Q: Is it imasculating for a grown man to ride a pink bicycle with a basket on the front which has a large daisy embroidered into it?
A: Yes.

Joe S

Second Unit
Noooooo. I'm 54 and have been ridiing in the Summer months for over 20 years. Like you said, it's a great workout, about the only exercise I really get.

Be careful with that bike seat, though. If you get one of those thin ones or sit on it wrong they say it may cut off blood flow to the vital regions and produce emasculating effects!

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Do you wear one of those goofy helmets they got now? Make you look like a penis? Never had to wear silly helmets when we were kids. Bicycle helmets are emasculating.

And it's probably emasculating to spell "emasculating" wrong. I wouldn't know. :D

Where's Jay?

MC

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
LOL, alright, so i'm being silly, we've established that pretty well I think. ;)

To answer some of your questions, no, I don't ride with my knees swung out, I do have shocks but I have no clue what a peg is and Wal Mart had a lot of nice bikes, the better one's were out of my price range at that time, though. I just wanted something nice, but also simple.

And I wouldn't be caught dead wearing one of those helmets lol, if the universe intends me to take a dive onto my head, so be it. ;) I stick to sidewalks mostly and no police have said anything to me yet about any helmet law for bicycler's in my area, and i've ridden by a few so they had the opprotunity to.

That's a nice bike, Doug, like I said I have a Mongoose XR-75, I guess Mongoose is the name brand? I actually don't know but I see nothing else on the bike anywhere.

Off to find some baseball cards...

:D

Jim_F

Screenwriter

True or not (I say NOT) I wouldn't be without one. I've had crashes resulting from another rider's error and from equipment failure (on a high-end bike designed for loaded touring) and my helmet saved my neurons both times. I'm sure I avoided a concussion from the former and probably worse from the latter.

DougR

Second Unit
John....

after seeing your Bike.............that Bike is for Sissy's !!!!

Nah............ Just Kidding !! :D

I don't see nothing wrong with that Bike you have !!

Just Enjoy it !!

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
What Pat said. If you don't feel confident enough to drive on the streets, you need to get it. Sidewalks are for pedestrians.

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Buy a helmet and wear it! All it takes is one stupid move by another vehicle operator and your melon will be mush.

Yes, you can be seriously injured and it looks stupid to me when I see someone not wearing a helmet. As my son always says when he spots a biker (pedal or motor) without a helmet. Dad - there goes another "donorcycle".

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks