What's new

Is it imasculating for a grown man to ride a bicycle? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Kevin,
I had a childhood, had toys, love nostalgia, hence I watched I Love Toys.

Really, I feel so sorry for all of you "adult and mature" people who turn their backs on their childhood and cast it aside so easily. :D

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
While on the subject of love of toys...last night my little 4 year old girl found my chest full of LEGO's I have collected from the 70's...tons of blocks, train stuff, electric motors etc...last night we had a good time building all kinds of stuff...brought back lots of fun memories.

:)

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
I have the same bike. It is OK. I used to be in the same situation. No car. But that was never a problem. I do have one suggestion. Get a better bike. With the amount of riding you do, you will notice the difference. And, you deserve it. Another benefit I found is that there is a certain type of woman (some call granolas) that really LIKE the idea of a person without a car. Just tell them that you are trying to help the environment. It worked great (no, it worked GREAT!!!!) for me.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

In the US, it seems that bikes are primarily used a) by adults for exercise and b) by kids for fun. When I used to ride a bike, it was for neither of those things, it was to get from point A to point B. It was often both faster and easier to use a bike than to use a car.

I think because of a) and b), it is often seen as weird to just wear regular clothes and ride a good bike to the grocery store or to the bank. I think the norm is to use a car, and if you don't, and if you don't ride for exercise, then you must either be poor or be some kind of treehugging fruit! :D

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Allow me to deflect some of the dork vibes you are receiving, John. I've just ordered one of these:

And, yes, I have every expectation of feeling just like this whenever I ride it:

My main concern is that I'll probably have to sport one of those goofy orange flags so people don't run over me. I doubt they'll hear me making Vroom Vroom noises with my mouth while they're driving around... :D

Brad

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I can't top Brad, but I do have one of these in a suitcase in my closet:

'cept mine looks better than the one in the picture.

'cuz it's blue.

DougR

Second Unit
Brad...
the few of those I've seen around my area have the Orange Flags on them....... ! Such a Low Profile to them, they are hard to see at times.
Unless your going to ride in a Unpopulated area....for your Safety,it would be the Right thing to have on it.........even though your friends will call you a "Sissy" for have one on your Recumbant Bike !:D

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

Only if its an OCC/WCC "chopper" bicycle from K*Mart and you ride it while wearing your baseball cap backwards and chewing Skoal at the same time, because you're, you know..., a badass. :rolleyes

Brad Porter

Screenwriter

Fortunately my trek to work can be done entirely on dedicated bike paths with the exception of crossing through two streets at a pedestrian sign controlled intersection. Anyone choosing to run me over won't be able to argue right of way.

Maybe I'll install a roll cage... :)

Brad

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Saw lots of cyclists out today on my short hike to the Sterling Forest Firetower.

Jim F, you have a BikeFriday pocketRocket.. how do you like it? I must disagree with you, I think I like the red one better!

Did you compare the BikeFriday with any other of the compact folding bikes? Like say a Moulton?

Jay

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Jay, the Pocket Rocket is a lot of fun. I had it built to the same riding position as my Ultimate. At the time that I got it, it was still a pretty new model. The frame is a little hefty after getting used to the Litespeed and even my Basso Loto (SLX version) The 20" wheels have such a low rotating mass that it accelerates really quickly. By the same token, they don't acquire a lot of momentum, so it's more of a continuous effort to hold a steady speed. It always draws second looks and sparks conversations.

I never tried any other folding bikes.

All due respect but blue bikes are just sooo much cooler than red bikes. :D

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I wish they'd install showers at work so I could bike to work. It's 18 miles one way... I don't mind the distance.. it's the road grit and sweat I'm not too keen on wearing at the office.

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
Riding a bike is most certainly not emasculating. No one can deny that what riding is is kick-ass fun.

I ride to the Metrolink station, take the train to Anaheim, and then ride from that station to work. I only drive in inclement weather, when I am sick, or when I have evening events that require I get home earlier.

My wife gave me a helmet for Christmas. I do think that they are emasculating, but, understandable, my wife worries more about me and our son since our other son's accident. I wear it to ease her fretful mind.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
FYI: Friday, May 19th is bike to work day:

http://www.bikeleague.org/programs/bikemonth/

Of course, I happen to be off on May 19th, so I guess I'll just bike every other day. ;)

Right now, I am loving it as this is the best time of year to be out there in the morning. I hit sunrise just as I'm about to crest the ridge and it is sooo beautiful, I love going to work and getting those miles in. It's a perfect mid 40s ride so I stay perfectly cool while doing a nice brisk pace. I wish I had like a helmet cam so I can record how nice it is. Surprisingly that my allergies hasn't hit, I'm usually bad but even though it is supposedly a bad year, I haven't been affected too much at all yet.

Jay

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I've gotten over my irrational anxiety since buying the bike, plus, I can feel my legs getting harder and tighter by the day and I don't get winded as easily as I used to.

One of the reasons for buying a bike that I neglected to mention is that I have had asthma since I was 9 and I was hoping that riding a bike would help build up my resperatory tolerance level.

In short, it's working! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks