Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What is a plasma TV's response time?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Randall Wetmore

Randall Wetmore

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted February 27 2006 - 10:31 AM

I have been getting conflicting information all over the place regarding this. Can anyone shed some light or provide some authoritative sources??

Thanks.

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted February 27 2006 - 12:06 PM

I presume it depends slightly on the plasma. Why do you ask? They are relatively on the slower side of things.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Randall Wetmore

Randall Wetmore

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted February 27 2006 - 12:19 PM

I would like to know, since I know someone who is considering purchasing one. It is important that I find out.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Robert Hoffman

Robert Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted February 28 2006 - 01:11 AM

I can't find the link, but someone asked the same question on AVS forum the other day. The response is that it's a non-issue with Plasma....less than 1ms.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Randall Wetmore

Randall Wetmore

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted February 28 2006 - 10:53 AM

I appreciate everyone's responses; however, you now see the conflicting information I'm getting. <1ms would not be "relatively on the slower side of things." <1ms would be virtually instantaneous.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted February 28 2006 - 11:00 AM

They are PWM, so you can't directly identify the response time, sort of like DLP. What I was getting at is that there is a phosphor decay time, so there are temporal hangs that occur.

The reason I asked why you asked is because what prompted this question? What kind of content are you going to be viewing, what will you be doing with the plasma? There's the immediate response time, and there's also the decay time, and they are different with different kinds of displays. Depending on the use of the display, these things may ore may not be significant obstacles.

So, it would be best if you just explained why you're asking this question, so we can give a meaningful response.

For example, you can think of a CRT as having pretty much instantaneous rise time, but there is a significant decay depending on the phosphor type. If you were doing 3d stuff, this is a big problem. If you were doing stuff like gaming, this isn't a problem.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted February 28 2006 - 12:14 PM

Plasma should behave similarly to CRT but with the following caveots:

1. continuously addressed: no delay waiting for the scanning electron beam to illuminate the pixel.

2. Because of continuous addressing, can use shorter decay-time phosphors.

Plasma screens are much faster than the best LCD screens.

Leo Kerr

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Randall Wetmore

Randall Wetmore

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted February 28 2006 - 02:59 PM

I would be using the plasma set for movies, sports and TV watching. I'm concerned about there being any motion blur.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Randall Wetmore

Randall Wetmore

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted February 28 2006 - 03:11 PM

I'm a little fuzzy on this "rise" vs. "decay" time. Is "decay" time only an issue when dealing with a fast moving object on a dark or black backround? Would "decay" time be eliminated with a color change of say green to red because the "rise" time of red is nearly instantaneous?

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted February 28 2006 - 04:44 PM

I wouldn't be concerned about the plasma for that use. I mean, I suppose if you were a picky gamer or something. Go look at plasmas and see what you think for yourself.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Robert Hoffman

Robert Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted March 01 2006 - 06:07 AM

I don't think any plasma from one of the respected manufacturers suffers from motion blur.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Randall Wetmore

Randall Wetmore

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted March 01 2006 - 07:14 AM

Thanks for everyone's responses. I looked at some models in the stores and couldn't detect the slightest amount of motion blur.