What's new

Windows Vista: Fear Thread... (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
OK folks,

I've been reading alot of bad things about vista, so maby it's time for a thread on what you can, and can't do with it..

The ONLY reason I'd consider upgrading to Vista is for HD DVD/Blue Ray and Cablecard support....but if my fair rights are being taken away, what's the point?

Is there any chance Cablecard or Next Gen DVD support would come to a system like Linux? It might be time to learn a new OS..

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I'll bite. What bad things have you been hearing?

If it is about HD & BR, I don't think the OS has anything to do with it. That is controlled by the studios, and whatever restrictions they plan to use in the new drives.

Linux won't help, unless some hacker hacks it for Linux, but I'm not sure if any Linux program will be approved by the studios, and if it is, it will probably have the same restrictions as the Vista version.

Glenn

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I haven't heard bad things about Vista, though I'll admit to not hearing much at all about it. My ear's not that close to the ground.

Doesn't matter much to me either way because I usually adhere to the local IT department's policy of upgrading to the newest version of Windows...not until SP1 :D

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
It's just another way to make you want to buy new hardware. I've not heard of any cutting-edge features in Vista that'll make it worth buying. The improved security will be interesting but I doubt it'll be as strong as they say.

I doubt Linux will get the hi-def DVD formats. I don't think it 'officially' has regular DVD support does it?

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
eh, as long as I can watch the movie I bought as many times as I want I'll be a happy camper.

Only thing that scares me about Vista is I might actually have to start buying Adobe/Macromedia suites. :eek:

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
The thing of it is that you won't be able to watch a HD movie from Vista in full HD except if you have all approved hardware and screen; it will automatically scale down to a much lower resolution.

See this for example: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060214-6177.html

AACS is also a lot of fun... they can for instance revoke your players rights to play HD materials if they want, turning it into a useless hunk of metal and plastic. Juust the level of control I want the studios to have over my hardware... NOT.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Big thing that's making me second guess vista is that its looking to just be xp with the popular third party software prepackage. Like the dosktop search thing and a few other niceties that really don't improve the actual performance of the OS.

I do admit that the new 3d desktop stuff is really sweet looking but I'm not sure if it'll justify the cost of upgrading for me right now. I have yet to see any other reason to upgrade aside from that.

But I too am considering linux, I have a desktop set up with it and it just always surprises me how much smoother it runs than my relatively superior desktop replacement laptop (which is my main system).

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
My big worries about Windows Vista is the potential hardware requirements for the operating system.

Let's just hope the minimum for Vista is an 800 MHz Intel or AMD CPU, 1 GB of RAM, and a 60 GB hard drive, all over which I have on my system now. :D

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I can see it now Ray. You load up Vista, and it looks around at your hardware, and thinks, "Crap, he's got everything I need! This isn't any good." Then a message pops up that you need a new motherboard! Gates is laughing all the way to the bank. :)

Glenn

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor

Vista supports the capability for certain content to behave in this manner, but the actual policy is up to the content provider rather than Vista. I'd rather have it work like this than not work at all (which is what you will most likely get on other OSes).

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Or, if he's that paranoid, bill Gates himself logs into your computer each time you try to install it :0

CRyan

Screenwriter
Wait. Vista will be required for BlueRay or HD-DVD? Or are you all talking WMP HD?

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I'm waiting for it first it was the OS, then the console, next comes the personal computer? :)

Diallo B

Screenwriter
windows vista is one early adoption that i will not be participating in.

i don't see any reason to upgrade in the near future considering that much of what it claims to offer can be realized with the proper equipment and the proper tweaking of xp.

any potential early adopters here???

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
If the PS3 wasn't coming out I'd probably go with Vista, just for hi-def media playback.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, probably. I'm curious how things like Aero actually play out in practical use. Sure you can do all of it on XP, but I figure I'll want to upgrade my machine by then anyway, so why not go DX10/Vista? It's not like early adopting hardware when you'll still want to replace in a year or so-Vista will probably be around for a good, long while. maybe not the 5 years we had XP for, but probably at least 3 or 4.

Then again, I don't think I'd pay full retail for it. OEM deal perhaps, MS Company store more likely. It's good to have friends on the "inside" :)

If nothing else though, I'll be firing up a vista test machine at work with the MSDN version. I've been sorely tempted by the CTP that's out there now, but I don't have a free computer at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks