What's new

Bilko - 50th Anniversary DVD on 5/9 (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Paramount has apparently set a May 9th date to release a 50th anniversary DVD of one of the all time greats - Sgt Bilko.

Pre-order listing for DVD Planet found here.

Steve

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Great low-budget sitcom with the multi-talented Phil Silvers, this funny show wouldn't have worked without him. :emoji_thumbsup:

Actually it's the 51st anniversay of the series, because it started in 1955.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
With 3 discs, it looks like it's going to be more than the
Warner tv favorites but not season sets. It probably will the same as the Best of Mr Ed sets.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
If it is indeed a best of instead of seasons then that is upsetting news. Because as we all know, "best of" doesn't mean anything of the sort. It just means "guest stars most familiar to today's audience" as opposed to the actual best or funniest episodes. Time and again this has been proved to be true. When they put out Man from UNCLE on VHS, they released almost half the series and yet the episode that most fans acknowledge to be the best wasn't included. Mr. Ed had an episode that made a Top 50 funniest shows of all-time list that wasn't included. So here's hoping it's a listing error.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
When I first saw this thread I thought that I would be happy with a "Best of The Phil Silvers Show" but now that I've studied the cast list and the guest cast list, I want them all.
My 9 year old self loved the show but 50 years later I also want to see all those first appearances of people like a 22 year old Alan Alda and so many more.

dave wright

Agent
Real Name
Dave Wright
If the news is true about a "best of" set that will be a major bummer.
VERY disapointing news.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Hmmmn . . . I see a trend here from Paramount . . . they recently went the "Best of" route with another 50+ year old series, "Gunsmoke."

Jeff#

Screenwriter
If this is a Best Of compilation, they'll definitely include the episode that got Dick Van Dyke his start in television.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I wouldn't read anything into the title yet nor do I think there is a trend. We'll have to wait until the official announcement to see what's going on.

Perry Mason, a show that's almost 50 years old, will be released in season sets (actually half season) according to preliminary reports posted at TVSODVD.com. Lucy and Griffith are vintage series getting season set treatments.

Gunsmoke had 20 seasons which makes season sets a bit more challenging. My speculation is that if the sales of the compilation were impressive, season sets may be considered.

Steve

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well Look at the Rifleman Sets MPI did'nt neccesarily put out the Best eps but the one's with the Biggest names also it was disconcerting to Have Mcain's Son be a Tike in one ep and needing a Shave in the next. Best of's Often are'nt.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
20 years of Gunsmoke is a lot to release in season sets. The only series which could pull off releasing that many seasons and do well is the Simpsons.

Paul

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
I hate modern TV more than almost anyone I can think of but if you think The Simpsons is crap then you are
(insert disparaging term here).

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
Simpsons crap? You are definitely in the minority.

I'll buy the Phil Silvers set no matter what. If the sales are good, it could always mean season sets down the road.

Jeff#

Screenwriter

That wasn't very nice, Michael. If I opine that a show is crap, I'm not insulting you simply because we disagree.

As for modern shows, there are some good ones if you look around. Cases in point: "24", "My Name is Earl", and "Monk". All of these shows are destined to become classics.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
Didn't mean to insult you but The Simpsons? Come on. As much as I hate to say it, that could be the best show of all time.

I watched the 24 pilot but while the story was interesting, I was turned off by the camera trickery and I don't really enjoy continuing stories like a soap opera. Never saw the other two.

Carmine D.

Auditioning
Real Name
Carmine
Just found out this baby is mispriced at Overstock.com for $12.17 !! Took a shot and ordered it !!

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
So, I see this being posted but still no list of episodes? Do they really think it's more important to load these things up with extras as opposed to putting out full seasons of episodes? I don't give a hoot about extras. Just give me the complete shows. Extras are gravy but mean nothing without the main course.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks