Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

American Idol - Season 5

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1485 replies to this topic

#41 of 1486 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,987 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted January 20 2006 - 04:44 PM

I said this was coming:

GLAAD Criticizes Idol for being Homophobic

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#42 of 1486 David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted January 20 2006 - 06:18 PM

What I think is interesting is the poll that TMZ.com is running. A slight majority of visitors to the site found Cowell's comments (shave the beard, wear a dress) to be homophobic, a clear majority didn't find Jackson's comments (are you a guy?) to be.

I don't understand why anyone would think Randy's comments could be taken as homophobic. His question was one any one of us would ask the guy were we in the same situation. Especially if the first words out of his mouth were "People confuse me for a girl a lot of the time."
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#43 of 1486 Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted January 21 2006 - 01:44 AM

I was so convinced I was looking at a girl that I thought the guy was joking even after he said people confuse him for a girl.

Hopefully I won't give it too much more thought as it doesn't deserve too much more thought. Just another circus act on AI. What they really need is siamese twins singing in harmony to really flush this puppy out.
Studios, caption your internet streams.

#44 of 1486 Lucia Duran

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter

• 1,089 posts

Posted January 21 2006 - 11:42 AM

The funniest one..... the Ashely Simpson wanna be with teh cheeto tan. I swear I really thought is was ashely for a moment.
NO SHIRT

NO SHOES

NO SHELDON

#45 of 1486 Dave Miller

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor

• 853 posts

Posted January 21 2006 - 01:45 PM

Quote:
the Ashely Simpson wanna be with teh cheeto tan.

The reason that was gold was because they brought her mom in. Posted Image

That caused me to wonder, do moms and dads sign waivers too for this competition?

Peace,

DM
"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."

#46 of 1486 Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted January 22 2006 - 03:08 AM

If not before, they surely did after being filmed, but before it aired.

#47 of 1486 Vlad D

Vlad D

Screenwriter

• 1,078 posts

Posted January 22 2006 - 03:23 AM

Quote:
The funniest one..... the Ashely Simpson wanna be with teh cheeto tan.

I actually thought she was a Paris Hilton wanna be. Either way it was funny as hell. And even funnier once they brought out her mom. Posted Image

Now, I thought that Lisa Tucker girl was amazing! Great voice, and very cute! I read on some other site that she was on Star Search some years ago. Link (I haven't read through this whole thread so apologies if this has already been mentioned.)

#48 of 1486 Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted January 22 2006 - 08:07 AM

that Lisa Tucker girl was amazing!

My example of hearing some decent singing admidst the bash fest. I know the horse is dead and there's no sense beating it, but watching 10 terrible singers get bashed doesn't give me a fraction of the enjoyment watching 1 decent singer does.

It just feels so sad to me because I've seen too many bar bands, sat in on too many auditions, etc. to think what we're in these first few weeks is reflective of what America has to offer. I love music, but it's normally difficult for me to hear overproduced singers over music due to my hearing. Hearing these AI singers sing acapella is a blessing for me. At least it could be if they spent more time on the decent singers.

I do think a few bash sessions are valuable just so the people out there who are deluded give things a second thought. If you've never performed in front of an audience and/or never heard your voice recorded, you're deluded. Step away from the mike and do something else.

#49 of 1486 Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted January 23 2006 - 02:28 PM

David Brown from Naw'lins (1st singer) is still the best performance I've heard on that show. He sang "A Change is Gonna Come." I just wish I could hear him sing the whole song. Posted Image

#50 of 1486 Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted January 24 2006 - 04:19 AM

> a rather mean way of humiliating people

If people can't sing & they audition for this show anyway, they deserve what they get. Especially when it's season 5 & the format is well-known.

If someone is terrible, & is told "that was terrible", that's not humiliation, but honesty.

I think at least half the bad singers are just there to get on TV, not because they think they have a shot at winning.

#51 of 1486 Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted January 24 2006 - 04:24 AM

> He was wearing female attire and you found him to be CLEARLY male?!?

Yeah, when he first walked out I thought "Wow, I didn't know Carrot Top had a sex change operation."

#52 of 1486 danak

danak

Second Unit

• 334 posts

Posted January 24 2006 - 10:44 PM

I can't believe no one else has commented yet on Tuesday's show.

Paris Bennett(?): Wow. Just simply WOW!! She initially comes across as rather delicate, but she sure can sing. And singing a country song followed by a Billie Holiday song seems to show some range to me. I predict that she'll end up in the top 4 at least, though it's really too soon to tell. Assuming she doesn't get tripped up in Hollywood, I think possibly the only thing that can hurt her is that viewers might feel that she doesn't need AI given her family's connections.

There were others that were fairly good but I'll have to rewatch my recording to give some names.

The funniest part was the guy who sang "She's Out of My Life" and held the notes endlessly. Then revealed that he has purchased Randy and Paula's DVD. Simon had so much fun with that.

Dana in MD

#53 of 1486 David Galindo

David Galindo

Screenwriter

• 1,264 posts

Posted January 25 2006 - 12:08 AM

Yeah, and the first girl (Picket I think?) was great also. Some high contenders this year...its gonna get real interesting.

#54 of 1486 BrianV

BrianV

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted January 25 2006 - 01:10 AM

How many more audition shows are there? Those are the only ones I find entertaining.

#55 of 1486 Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted January 25 2006 - 02:20 AM

There was someone at the HTF last year that works in the music industry and I'd be interested if (s)he hears anything good. Not to say "right" or "wrong" but just to see how it stacks up against what I've been hearing.

I knew Simon would like the thin blonde girl that had a bit of Carrie Underwood in her.

I was hoping the young black girl didn't embarass her family after all the buildup from Randy about her family, especially after what Fantasia's relative did. She was so happy that I actually had a sappy moment sharing in her enjoyment. On the other hand, I hope she's emotionally strong enough to take it when she doesn't bring her "A" game and gets that harsh feedback.

We have a crew of young people this year. It'll be interesting to see how far they go. I only remember Mikalah from last year being so young. I know Diana DeGarmo was runner up in Season 3, though I only watched the final that year (as in most past years).

#56 of 1486 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,842 posts

Posted January 25 2006 - 02:21 AM

I don't watch the show often. But, do the judges see everyone that comes to audition? I thought I saw a bunch of applicants in a stadium and their is no way they can see them all. Also, if they are screened first..how do they decide who gets to go on? Because some of the ones they see suck horribly...Yes, I know thats what makes the show entertaining.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#57 of 1486 Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted January 25 2006 - 02:51 AM

I know thats what makes the show entertaining.

Only to some people.

I think the producers hear the masses sing and only pass on some of them to the Big 3 judges. They also go and film back story for people they find interesting TV.

#58 of 1486 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,987 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted January 25 2006 - 02:54 AM

What is with all the children of celebrities auditioning? I mean, the girl last night was a daughter of a singer in "Sounds of Blackness" (yes, she got a ticket to Hollywood) but I would think her mom would have some connections to get her heard rather then link her up with AI...

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#59 of 1486 Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted January 25 2006 - 04:18 AM

I think she was the granddaughter.

> I was hoping the young black girl didn't embarass her family after all the buildup from Randy about her family

Uh, any time you see background stuff on someone before they show the audition, that's a pretty good clue they're going to be accepted (not counting the "stay tuned to see what this weirdo does" types). Like the girl whose father was in prison- if she had failed the audition, they wouldn't have aired that little background piece on her, since why give us more info on someone who won't be on future episodes?

#60 of 1486 Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor

• 561 posts

Posted January 25 2006 - 04:25 AM

Quote:
Like the girl whose father was in prison- if she had failed the audition, they wouldn't have aired that little background piece on her, since why give us more info on someone who won't be on future episodes?

How far in advance do they shoot the audition episodes? It must be far enought that they can see who makes it, go back to that person's hometown, shoot the bio (in high-def) and edit it into the show.

Forum Nav Content I Follow