-

Photo
- - - - -

Time to change my shave: advice wanted!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,954 posts

Posted January 07 2006 - 04:23 AM

What kind of shaver am I?

A Gillette Mach 3 Turbo razor and a can
of EDGE gel.

Not a bad experience and rarely do I nick
myself.

I always wanted to know what it would be like
to move up the shaving ladder to something more
sophisticated. I have always admired people
who shave using the brushes to spread the lather
across their face.

Thing is, I know very little about shaving
in this manner (though it seems elementary),
and I am wondering if the expense of buying a
nice shave kit will really add to a more
comfortable and enjoyable shave.

I hear great things about Casswell-Massey
so I started there.

I figured $100 was more than enough to get
started with something like this shaving set

Now, what about shaving cream? I figured what
I needed was shaving soap. I *guessed* that
is what the brush gets dipped into and then
across the face to produce lather. What about
this item here?

I don't want to go crazy with all of this, but
if you gentlemen have something in particular you
would recommend -- and really feel that the
added expense adds to a more gratifying shaving
experience, I'd like to know about it.

Feel free to provide links to specific recommendations.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted January 07 2006 - 04:42 AM

Not a bad experience and rarely do I nick

This is not a good reason to change. Posted Image

But, If you are going to do this, Find a safety razor, some blades and give a shot. That's what I used when I started shaving all those years ago (age 14).

You'll have to use a bare blade to get in around the tight areas (under the nose, up against the ear).

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   Marko Berg

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

• 856 posts

Posted January 07 2006 - 04:46 AM

A suggestion, stay with Gillette and upgrade to the electric Mach 3 model. It considerably improves your shaving experience.

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   CRyan

CRyan

Screenwriter

• 1,244 posts

Posted January 07 2006 - 04:59 AM

Go with the soap and keep your current razor. The soap is nice, but I would keep with a modern style razor. Thats what I do.

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,954 posts

Posted January 07 2006 - 05:28 AM

This shaving set mentioned above does retain
the Mach 3 blade capability, so in essence I
would still be using a Mach 3 Turbo razor.

I suppose it just comes down to whether the
soap and brush adds anything substantial over
using EDGE gel out of a can.

I'll also look into the Mach 3 electric - and
look forward to hearing any additional comments
on that.

Thanks, guys!

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted January 07 2006 - 06:51 AM

I can't get anywhere with anything more than single blade disposable Bics. Anything more than one blade and I spend most of my shaving time cleaning the damn thing.

I have a brush/soap option, and it's okay, but I think the gel will allow a smoother shave, with less irritation.

I'm wondering whether going electric (and by that I mean the old kind, not a bladed razor)would increase my enthusiasm for shaving, which I now find highly unappealing.

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted January 07 2006 - 07:14 AM

I don't appreciate the electric Mack 3, it really just doesn't do much and the green is ugly. Gillette will be releasing their new 5 bladed razor soon, I'd recommend trying that instead (I know I will).
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,213 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 07 2006 - 08:47 AM

I tried moving to the Schick Quattro and the thing got clogged up too much, so now I'm back to the Mach 3 Turbo. I usually just shave in the shower with the Mach 3 and forgo the creams, soaps and gels without any nicks or irritation. The only thing with shower shaving is that I have to occassinally neaten it up in front of the mirror afterward. But at this point, I know where to shave pretty much by feel.

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City

Posted January 07 2006 - 09:16 AM

I switched to the Electric Mach 3 a few weeks ago. After a few days getting used to it I like it better than the non-electric version. It is able to get the under nose hair better than the non-electric version and seems to do better in the other difficult to shave areas as well.

If for some reason you don't like the vibrating electric Mach 3 you may use it without turning on the vibrator and to me it is a superior handle compared to the non-electric Mach 3.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   Phil_L

Phil_L

Second Unit

• 377 posts

Posted January 07 2006 - 11:59 AM

For shaving cream, try Kiehl's shaving cream. It doesn't lather, which is weird at first, but it gives a very smooth shave. You can get it at Keihl's stores or Nordstrom. I am sure there are other places as well. I also use their Men's Herbal Toner after I shave.

Art of Shaving is whole line of shaving products. They make a Pre-Shave Oil that is great and an After Shave Balm that is is quite soothing.

I would try either of these to get a great shave. Try shaving in the shower if you aren't already. Make sure you use a good face wash that softens your beard. I use the Lab Series Power Lift Off Face Wash.

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   Carl Miller

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

• 1,461 posts

Posted January 07 2006 - 03:32 PM

I second the Art of Shaving recommendation. Good stuff which I got as a gift, but expensive. Only product of theirs I do refill on is their after shave balm which is great.

I enjoy using a brush but don't use it often. Seems more time consuming in my zombie-like morning state.

King of Shaves is my favorite product from the cream/gel category. It's a gel that doesn't lather, and like Phil said, I agree that not getting the lather is weird at first. But it's very good, a reasonable $7 or so from any CVS or Duane Reade and it lasts forever.
Carl

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted January 07 2006 - 03:46 PM

[c]Posted Image[/c]

[c]Ron, do you really want a badger brush? Posted Image[/c]

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted January 07 2006 - 04:00 PM

It's winter - time to grow that beard out for warmth!
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC

Producer

• 3,729 posts

Posted January 07 2006 - 04:19 PM

I use a brush, with mug and soap-cake, because I found that shaving cream does not suit me. Hot lather and cold water on the razor work quite well for me, but I don't know that this is good advice for anybody else. I come from a heavily-bearded family, and would have to shave twice a day in order to appear cleanshaven, so I don't ordinarily make the effort. In fact I'm currently growing out my moustache and sideburns, for convenience's sake. I use a Gillette Mach 3, because I go it in the mail and am too lazy to go and get something else -- may go to a straight-razor one of these days, like my cousin.

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,345 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted January 07 2006 - 05:57 PM

Quote:
I always wanted to know what it would be like to move up the shaving ladder to something more sophisticated.

http://www.theartofs...ling-silver.php

Posted Image

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   SethH

SethH

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted January 07 2006 - 11:14 PM

Badger hair brushes are great.

For me, the biggest thing is shaving in the shower. That's honestly the only reason I don't keep a beard all the time. I hated shaving before, because I have a pretty heavy beard, but my sister told me I should start shaving in the shower. To start out I bought a cheap $7 fog-free mirror at Wal-Mart to try things out.

After realizing how much I like it, I plan to purchase a better fog-free mirror from Sharper Image. This mirror actually hooks into the water line and uses hot water inside the mirror to keep it from fogging up. The $7 Wal-Mart mirrors last about 6 weeks before the chemical disappears and they are no longer fog-free.

Also, which direction do you shave - with the grain or against it? I also learned that shaving with the grain is much more comfortable for every-day use. For special occasions I first shave lightly with the grain and then re-lather and shave against the grain. It makes the overall shave smoother and much more comfortable.

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

• 1,055 posts

Posted January 08 2006 - 02:37 AM

Ronald,

The shaving method you're using now isn't going to be much improved by going to a more expensive hand shaver or a shaving soap. You might get some improvements with the M3 Power vibrating shaver, but it's not worth the money, in my humble opinion. Posted Image

I myself use Schick's Xtreme 3 razor and Edge shaving gel; I like the Xtreme 3 razor because the blades physically bend slightly to better follow the contour of your face, which really improves the closeness of the shave, especially shaving "against the grain." Posted Image
Raymond in Sacramento, CA USA

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   Spencer M

Spencer M

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted January 08 2006 - 05:25 PM

M3 Power and Avalon Organics moisturizing cream shave (peppermint) can't beat it though the shave cream is hard to find. Whole Foods or any organic grocery store would probably carry the Avalon line.

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter

• 1,222 posts

Posted January 09 2006 - 03:39 AM

I always shave with the grain with a Mach 3 Turbo. If I shave against I will pay for it later.