Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Classic TV/DVD Wish List for '06

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
63 replies to this topic

#1 of 64 Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted December 26 2005 - 07:38 AM

Hey, all...

Anyone else want more of the classics in '06? In this case, I'd say "classics" are any series that were originally aired between the mid 50's thru the '80's. Mine are in my signature.

[editorial] I'm constantly amazed that there are some of the youngsters out there that like some of the same series that we ('Boomers) grew up with...an example is my nephew (born in '80 which makes him a "Millenium" kid, I think that's the correct phrase for the '77-2000 kids). He likes the original "Dick Van Dyke" show....amazing!

Can't wait for TSoD's '06 prediction list. Keep that batting average awesome, Gord/Dave Posted Image

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#2 of 64 Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,217 posts

Posted December 26 2005 - 08:57 AM

I would like to see Perry Mason and Get Smart get fast-tracked.

Also wanted: My Three Sons, Ironside, and the various crime dramas of the 70s (Cannon, Barnaby Jones, Mannix).

I would also like Universal to start putting out problem free DVDs so I can start buying their products with confidence. I've passed over several releases that I normally would have purchased because I just don't have time to watch an entire set soon after purchase to check for defects.

Steve
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#3 of 64 ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,486 posts

Posted December 26 2005 - 09:53 AM

Let's see. I hope Warner Bros. releases "Valerie/Valerie's Family/The Hogan Family" in season sets in '06. I also would like to see the 80s Canadian drama "Danger Bay". Fox, I hope, will finally bring "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis" to DVD (in season sets). Then there's that tie-in with "I Dream of Jeannie"...

Speaking of Sony, they need to bring out "Father Knows Best". My mom loves that show. "Gidget", "The Flying Nun", and "The Donna Reed Show" would be nice too. Those are also her favorites that Sony owns.

#4 of 64 James Landau

James Landau

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted December 26 2005 - 11:44 AM

Three of my biggest wants are Mission: Impossible, The Wild Wild West and Rawhide--all of which have been announced as strong rumors for 2006--so I guess I'm in luck!

Outside of that, I would really like to see the studios finish a few classics that they already started and have subsequently abandoned. Baretta and SWAT immediately come to mind.

Quote:
I'm constantly amazed that there are some of the youngsters out there that like some of the same series that we ('Boomers) grew up with...an example is my nephew (born in '80 which makes him a "Millenium" kid, I think that's the correct phrase for the '77-2000 kids). He likes the original "Dick Van Dyke" show....amazing!
I know what you mean. I was equally shocked when my 17-year-old nephew announced how much he loves Sanford and Son. I was also describing the Patrick McGoohan series The Prisoner to him once and he said it sounded like something he would really like.

Quote:
Speaking of Sony, they need to bring out "Father Knows Best". My mom loves that show.
Since your mom loves the show, is this currently airing somewhere or are you just referring to her memories of the show? I haven't seen hide nor hair of it since it aired on a local station way back in the '70s.

#5 of 64 Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted December 26 2005 - 11:51 AM

Quote:
Three of my biggest wants are Mission: Impossible, The Wild Wild West and Rawhide--all of which have been announced as strong rumors for 2006--so I guess I'm in luck!

Same for me, especially M.I. Anything related to your last name and your wish for M.I.? Posted Image (remember one of the main stars in that show? Last name was "Landau")

#6 of 64 ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,486 posts

Posted December 26 2005 - 12:12 PM

Quote:
Since your mom loves the show, is this currently airing somewhere or are you just referring to her memories of the show? I haven't seen hide nor hair of it since it aired on a local station way back in the '70s.

It had a limited run on TV Land for a certain amount of episodes. Their contract expired.

It used to be on The Family Channel. They also aired the reunion TV-movie.

#7 of 64 Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted December 26 2005 - 12:36 PM

I'd like to see the Many Loves of Dobie Gillis, season sets of Welcome Back Kotter, The Adams Family, Get Smart, and continuations of shows started already such as Dragnet 1967.

I'm 24 years old, 25 in a couple of weeks. For those of you that are surprised what younger generations like, such as the Dick Van Dyke Show, keep in mind that a lot of us grew up with Nick at Nite, old episodes of Andy Griffith, the Jeffersons and Sanford and Son in Sindication and on superstation TBS among others...so with the amount of channels and the fact that sindication allows for older shows to be introduced to a new audience it shouldn't be that big of a shock.

Another classic I'd love to see get released is Fernwood Tonight/America Tonight.

#8 of 64 alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted December 26 2005 - 02:44 PM

I really, really, really want The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis and - especially - Amos 'n Andy, probably the funniest show ever after The Honeymooners. I know the typical reasons for keeping this series under wraps, but they're all B.S. - get it out!
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

#9 of 64 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted December 26 2005 - 02:50 PM

Though I hold out little to no hope for most of these:

WKRP in Cincinnati
CPO Sharkey
The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet
My Three Sons

"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#10 of 64 Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 966 posts

Posted December 26 2005 - 03:13 PM

Within the time period specified, my biggest wants would be (in no particular order after WKRP):

WKRP
The High Chaparral
Larado
It's Garry Shandling's Show (if you include the whole '80s decade)
BJ and the Bear
Then Came Bronson (anybody else remember this one?!?)
Lou Grant
Medical Center
Get Smart
David Cassidy - Man Undercover
Newhart

#11 of 64 Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted December 26 2005 - 03:19 PM

Quote:
Then Came Bronson (anybody else remember this one?!?)

Yep, I remember that one Posted Image

"My Three Sons" is one I'd like but only the later seasons. Same with "Leave it to Beaver". Not sure why, but with these two, I liked the later seasons best.

I see that USC signature line, George. All I can say is...Hook 'em, Horns Posted Image Sorry, I'm a 'Horns fan. Should be a good game though.

#12 of 64 James Landau

James Landau

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted December 26 2005 - 06:30 PM

Quote:
Anything related to your last name and your wish for M.I.? (remember one of the main stars in that show? Last name was "Landau")
No, not really. I would want the series even if Martin wasn't in it which, indeed, he isn't after season 3. I got hooked on the series as a child in the early to mid '70s. A local station aired repeats of Star Trek weeknights at 6:00 and for about half the year, they would replace it with M: I. Thus, my fondness for the former lead to an equal fondness for the latter.

Martin Landau has been my favorite actor for years, and while the fact that we happen to share a last name may have something to do with it, it's not the main reason. It's because he happened to star in my all-time favorite TV series, Space: 1999. I was a real science fiction junkie as a kid and that series just happened to air at the right time during my formative years. For the same reason, I also have a fondness for Barbara Bain (another M: I costar.)

I often get asked if Martin and I are related. I wish we were but, alas, no. Growing up, I used to think it would be kind of neat if he were my uncle or something.

Quote:
"My Three Sons" is one I'd like but only the later seasons. Same with "Leave it to Beaver".
Same here. I always thought My Three Sons was much more interesting after Katie (Tina Cole), Barbara (Beverly Garland) and Dodie (Dawn Lyn) were added to the cast and have always preferred the problems the teenage Cleaver brothers got into over the little kid troubles. For the same reason, I always preferred the last season or two of The Brady Bunch. They're just more interesting as teenagers. And while a lot of people hate cousin Oliver, I never had a problem with him.

#13 of 64 Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted December 26 2005 - 11:57 PM

More and more classic/vintage TV is making it to DVD but still "missing in action" are THE FUGITIVE and ROUTE 66, two great dramas from the Sixties that I'd love to see again.

#14 of 64 michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted December 27 2005 - 01:56 AM

Watching the "Naked City" sets makes me pine that much more for "Route 66. It was a sister show of sorts to the former in that Stirling Silliphant and Howard Rodman contributed excellent scripts to the series (as well as being produced by Herbert B. Leonard?). Silliphant in particular was a superb writer, on par with Serling and Reginald Rose and while not omnipresent in NC, scripted at least 70 episodes for R-66. Like NC (and TZ), the series featured the greatest character actors of the medium.

As for my 2006 wish list--those shows that appear to be on the horizon or just beyond:

Time Tunnel (complete)
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (Seasons 1 and 2 at least)
Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.
Night Gallery (S2)
Daniel Boone (S1)
Naked City (expecting at least one more box set in '06)
Superman (S2 and S3?)

Releases I'd be thrilled by if announced:

The Green Hornet
Route 66
The Untouchables
12 O'Clock High
The Fugitive
The Invaders
Sea Hunt
The Loner
M-Squad
The Rebel
The Defenders

#15 of 64 Jim Saunders

Jim Saunders

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted December 27 2005 - 07:07 AM

I'd like the Chiefs minseries from the early 80s and LA Law.

#16 of 64 pitchman

pitchman

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted December 27 2005 - 09:25 AM

Batman
The Green Hornet
The Addams Family
He and She
Car 54 Where Are You?
The Patty Duke Show

...to name just a few.
Gary

#17 of 64 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted December 27 2005 - 09:50 AM

There are so many good ones finally coming that it's hard to even think about ones that haven't been named. I guess I'll say that I would like to see the other Warner westerns that aired alongside Cheyenne. But, I'm so amazed that that show is actually coming, that I'll be happy with it alone if the others don't make it out.

Another one I really want is Gomer, and I'm pretty sure that's coming next year.

#18 of 64 Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Supporting Actor

• 957 posts

Posted December 27 2005 - 11:36 AM

Well, I have several.

Rhoda (74-79)
Room 222 (69-74)
Love American Style (69-74)
The Rookies (72-76)
Mod Squad (68-73)
Maude (72-79)
Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman (76-77)
Cher (75-76)
Police Woman (74-78)
Welcome Back, Kotter (75-79)
The Six Million Dollar Man (73-78)
Vegas (78-81)
The Odd Couple (70-75)
The Bionic Woman (76-78)
Police Story (73-79)
The Hot L Baltimore (75)
One Day At A Time (75-84)
The Courtship of Eddie’s Father (69-72)
Eight Is Enough (77-81)
Marcus Welby, M.D. (69-76)
Lou Grant (77-82)
Chico & The Man (74-78)
Phyllis (75-77)
CHiPs (77-83)

I realize that a couple of these have been announced but it doesn't hurt to list them anyway.

I'd also like to see Charlies Angels, Starsky & Hutch, SWAT, and Baretta get finished in '06.

#19 of 64 Paul Miller

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor

• 567 posts

Posted December 27 2005 - 04:18 PM

The Phil Silvers Show
Car 54
McHale's Navy
Get Smart

Paul

#20 of 64 Roger_S

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator

• 200 posts

Posted December 27 2005 - 04:21 PM

I'm a huge fan of westerns and many of mine are of that genre...

Death Valley Days
The Deputy
How The West Was Won
Laredo
Lawman
The Rebel
Wagon Train (The Ward Bond years mainly, of course)

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow