Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Why we might get "The Equalizer" on dvd...A movie is coming....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 of 39 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,859 posts

Posted December 02 2005 - 07:10 AM

The following was posted at www.cinescape.com

Quote:
The Weinstein Co. has acquired the rights to develop and produce a movie based on the TV show THE EQUALIZER.

The CBS series centered on a well-connected private detective, Robert McCall, with a history as a government operative. Having become disillusioned by all the rigamarole that comes with secret agenting, McCall starts to look out for the little guy. Calling himself "The Equalizer," McCall puts ads in the paper marketing to desperate people in desperate situations. He takes on the cases for little or no money.

Mace Neufeld, Tony Eldridge and Michael Sloan will produce.

Hopefully, this will push the studio to release the show on dvd.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#2 of 39 MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,475 posts

Posted December 02 2005 - 09:29 AM

The show should already be on DVD. But if remakes are "required" by the studios to market old shows on DVD, I say bring on the remakes. I'll simply ignore the remakes while enjoying the originals.

#3 of 39 David Lawrence

David Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted December 10 2005 - 11:19 PM

Whilst I have virtually no interest in the movie re-imagining, at least at the moment, this is my most wanted TV show not yet on DVD.
"Harry thinks that if you call him Harry one more time, he's going to make you eat that cat"
WANTED: Night Moves on DVD
---WANTED: Classic Westerns on DVD--- No OAR = No Sale

#4 of 39 Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted December 11 2005 - 12:28 AM

The "original" version of this is already available.
The first two seasons of "Have Gun - Will Travel" are on DVD for about $35.00 each.

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#5 of 39 Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted December 18 2005 - 06:35 PM

I've been in the mood for this show and I've watched a few over the last couple of nights. This is a great show, one of the top 5 shows of the 80s. Hopefully this is on Universal's radar.

#6 of 39 LizH

LizH

Second Unit

• 348 posts

Posted December 18 2005 - 08:53 PM

I LOVE that sweet Stewart Copeland theme song! Posted Image

#7 of 39 Ed Francisco

Ed Francisco

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted January 01 2006 - 05:38 PM

Just watched a rerun of the first episode of the Equalizer on Universal HD, and surprisingly it was in 16x9! Just wondering if anybody knows if this is the way it was originally shot or are we seeing a "rematted" version?
My Rapidly Expanding DVD Collection

#8 of 39 David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts

Posted January 01 2006 - 05:50 PM

Probably rematted version.
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

#9 of 39 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,859 posts

Posted January 02 2006 - 01:18 PM

Does anyone think that the show being aired on Universal HD is a good omen for the show coming to dvd?

Dave or Gord? Posted Image

ps-On a side not. Someone on another forum came up with a good choice to play McCall in the new movie...Victor Garber.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#10 of 39 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,859 posts

Posted January 09 2006 - 07:47 AM

I have been watching the show again on UHD. What a great show...still holds up. I really hope we might finally get this on dvd.

#11 of 39 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,859 posts

Posted January 17 2006 - 12:11 PM

Equalizer is now airing on the new NBC/Universal "Sleuth" channel. Along with other ready dvd released shows "Miami Vice", "A-Team" and "Knight Rider". So hopefully, whis means it has to be on Universals radar.

#12 of 39 Esten

Esten

Supporting Actor

• 588 posts

Posted June 13 2006 - 03:31 AM

Only seen a few episodes so far, but this is right up there with Matlock on shows I'd definitely buy.

#13 of 39 Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted January 11 2007 - 04:51 AM

Some movement on the Feature Film Today:

According to Variety, the Weinstein Company has signed crime novelist Michael Connelly ("Blood Work") and Terrill Lee Lankford to pen the screenplay for The Equalizer, their feature remake of the popular '80s TV series.

Connelly is best known for his series of novels starring police detective Harry Bosch, while Lankford, a regular collaborator of Connelly, is also an author, who has worked on severla indie films. The remake will be directed by Lucky Number Slevin helmer Paul McGuigan, but no cast has been attached as of yet.

The original show starred British actor Edward Woodward as Robert McCall, and the dark, character-driven crime show was a CBS hit in the late '80s. Each episode would see Woodward's former intelligence officer helping his client settle a score.

Connelly acknowledged in a statement that "times have certainly changed since the days of the television show" but said he and his co-scribe "plan to build a character that is of these times but to also keep the heart and soul of the show intact."

Come on Universal it is time to Release the TV-Series!!!!!

#14 of 39 Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted January 12 2007 - 03:46 AM

I've gone ahead and started to transfer over my CBS masters to DVD. Universal is so clueless with this stuff that I have no faith in them to do it, let alone to follow through with all 4 seasons.

#15 of 39 Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted February 07 2007 - 03:05 PM

Take this with a grain of salt as i can't vouch for it's authenticity. But according to a big equalizer fan he has the following to say:

"I've heard that they have pushed the production of the Equalizer Movie into 2009 from 2007 to give them enough time to complete remastering the last two seasons in order to have them ready for a retail release of the series beginning in 2008. The first two seasons were started back in 2005 but were out-sourced so they were not done by Universal, however, Universal will be handling the remastering of the last two seasons but they also need to complete negotiations on royalities with two of the music composers they are in legal contact with to cement a deal.

"The official DVD set will be "compressed" and they are saying it is to be 4 episodes a DVD and will be released a season at a time with the first season coming in two options: one in a normal fold out and the other with a complete case to hold all 4 seasons--and they will release a season every three months with the 4th season co-insiding with the release of the movie. Due to the series only being popular in the US and Europe there wil be no Blu-Ray release only HD-DVD which will also contain four episodes per HD-DVD but all will be uncompressed.

"I've just no idea as to when Universal will complete remastering the 3rd and 4th seasons. Apparently they are "unhappy" for some reason and switched the process in house--I don't know why."

#16 of 39 DaveRU

DaveRU

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted February 08 2007 - 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Leroux
they also need to complete negotiations on royalities with two of the music composers they are in legal contact with to cement a deal.

Good news if they release it with no music edits. This is a must buy for me, love the gritty 80s New York feel, and the excellent theme tune Posted Image

#17 of 39 Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted February 08 2007 - 04:58 AM

That sounds encouraging. Other than the theme I don't really think there should be too much in the way of music issues. I'm going to suspend my transferring of my CBS VHS masters, pending further word.

#18 of 39 Ben King

Ben King

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted May 10 2007 - 11:41 PM

Season 1 of The Equalizer will be released on DVD *in the UK* at the end of December.

#19 of 39 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,859 posts

Posted May 11 2007 - 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben King
Season 1 of The Equalizer will be released on DVD *in the UK* at the end of December.

Well hopefully, a R1 set will be released here as well.

#20 of 39 Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted October 30 2007 - 03:06 AM

Dave L (TSoD) posted the news this morning! Feb 12 '08

http://www.tvshowson....-Season-1/8357

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

Forum Nav Content I Follow