Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

If you had a million dollars...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#1 of 48 Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted October 24 2005 - 07:38 PM

ok the Office Space question. If money wasn't a problem what would you like to make a career out of?

I'd like to be a chef Posted Image I'm sick of using my microwave and I have fun making eggs, even though that's the most complicated food I know how to cook.

How bout you?

#2 of 48 Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted October 24 2005 - 08:34 PM

I would donate it to charity.........BWAAA HAAA HAAAA HAAAAAAAA!!!! Oh, man.....whew...

Seriously, I would donate it to charity....myself being the most needy charity I personally know of, I would gladly accept the donation on behalf of myself.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#3 of 48 Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted October 24 2005 - 08:54 PM

Well yea Posted Image but what would you do with your time? Nothing doesn't count because everyone gets bored of nothing sooner or later.

#4 of 48 Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman

Producer

• 3,817 posts

Posted October 25 2005 - 01:25 AM

Quote:
Nothing doesn't count because everyone gets bored of nothing sooner or later.
But, I bet I could do nothing for quite a long time. Posted Image

I'd probably travel. Alot.

Then, I'd try to go to Hollywood and become an action hero.

#5 of 48 ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait

Screenwriter

• 2,187 posts

Posted October 25 2005 - 01:39 AM

If I had a million dollars? Two chicks at the same time. Posted Image

Seriously, I would pay off my debts, buy a house, new car, finish school, and then open up my own video store.

#6 of 48 Julian Reville

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

• 1,197 posts

Posted October 25 2005 - 01:47 AM

I'd continue to work as a veterinarian as long as the money held out. Posted Image

Seriously, I'd work, but only half days, so I could get in a round of golf every afternoon.

#7 of 48 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted October 25 2005 - 01:55 AM

I get a job I actually might enjoy.

#8 of 48 Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted October 25 2005 - 02:11 AM

Cook, I love to cook so I might consider opening a restaurant but the dilemma would be that doing so might cause me to not like cooking.....it's easy to love cooking if you don't have a time schedule to keep to.
I also love machining & opening up a machine shop is probably less risky than a restaurant.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#9 of 48 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,173 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted October 25 2005 - 02:24 AM

I'd buy you a monkey. Haven't you always wanted a monkey? Posted Image

Being literal: if I won $1M, taxes would eat, say 40% leaving me $600k. Pay off the house, car, and school debts from siblings and I'd have maybe $100k left. Take a great vacation, and I've got about $90k. That would be put into savings, and I'd keep doing what I'm doing.

Now, if I had $10M free and clear, the world is wide open. I could retire and be the idle-wealthy. A true landed man! I'd probably give a bunch to family and some friends, to give them a further leg up. I'd carve off a major savings plan for myself. And for the immediate future, keep my current job. At least for now. I'm not sure what else I'm interested in that I could (sanely) spend all my time on.

#10 of 48 Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor

• 851 posts

Posted October 25 2005 - 03:15 AM

As Dave points out, one million just does not go very far. Well, up here in Canada, we would get the whole million (no tax on lottery winnings) so it would be a bit better.

With one million, I would retire and move to Vancouver or Toronto to pursue my acting gig.

With TEN million, I would start up my own production studio and make movies. (Starring ME of course!)
Scott A. McGillivray
Vancouver, B.C.

Struggling Actor and Movie Nut!
(Check out my profile on IMDB!)http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1425496/

#11 of 48 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,271 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted October 25 2005 - 03:24 AM

1) Pay off house or move to a nicer area
2) Travel overseas for a few months - Europe, China to see my family village, Hong Kong, SE Asia
3) Come home and buy the local art house theater; maybe run it into the ground Posted Image
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#12 of 48 Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted October 25 2005 - 03:27 AM

"If I had a million dollars, I'd buy you a K-car, a nice Reliant automobile."

Now thats thats out of the way...... $1M would buy a house, 2 new cars, and pay all my debts. It wouldn't leave too much else.

If I didn't need a paycheck to live on, some career options...

*Tattoo artist
*Treasure hunter
*Martial Arts teacher
*Professional eBay trader
*Film critic
*Music reviewer
*Restaurant critic
*Film/Movie director (and I'll give the good roles to Scott).
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#13 of 48 Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper

Screenwriter

• 1,235 posts

Posted October 25 2005 - 03:38 AM

If I had a million dollars....

I might be able to put down a down payment on a two bedroom house...
-Jeff Cooper

"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

#14 of 48 Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted October 25 2005 - 03:43 AM

I agree with the "million just ain't so big anymore" theory. It isn't.

HOWEVER, I wouldn't turn it down, taxes or no taxes. Posted Image

With ten million, I'd buy a nice piece of property out in the country, and have a house custom built on that land - kind of a four plex, so that my folks and brother would each have our own little personal space. I'd include studios for mom and me - mom's a porcelain doll artist, I am learning silversmithing - and a workshop for my brother, who is a computer geek.

I'd also like to travel, and the two main places I am really interested in are Ireland and the Czech Republic.

As for the rest, I think I'd set up some sort of trust fund for myself so that I could have something that would grow, instead of pissing it all away in one fell swoop.

The shape I'm in you could donate my body to science fiction! - Rodney Dangerfield, "Back to School"

#15 of 48 Colton

Colton

Supporting Actor

• 795 posts

Posted October 25 2005 - 04:04 AM

After taxes, I'd put the rest into savings and live off the interest each year. Easy living!

- Colton

#16 of 48 Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted October 25 2005 - 04:09 AM

I think I'd end up writing a lot.

1. Novelist
2. Movie reviewer
3. Travel reviewer
4. Concert reviewer

Of course, I can do all of those now but I am not making any money from my unpublished novels! And I don't really have any special qualifications for the reviewer positions.
"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink

#17 of 48 ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,450 posts

Posted October 25 2005 - 04:14 AM

This is the game I play with myself everyday to keep from wandering into on-coming traffic!

"One Million Dollars!" (said with Dr Evil Pinky in mouth), sadly, does not buy much fantasy these days.

On the practical side I would pay off all current debt and then set aside enough to completely take care of college for the youngin's. Oh and remodel that one space in the basement that has "Chris's Home Bar" penciled in.

On the side that struggles with reality on an everyday basis - I would buy a really kick ass boat for summer's on the Chesapeake!
It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink: 

#18 of 48 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,544 posts

Posted October 25 2005 - 04:26 AM

Musician and writer.

#19 of 48 andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted October 25 2005 - 05:14 AM

Let's see ... that's about £560,000. In the UK, this could buy me about ten decent meals in a London restaurant. Posted Image

Seriously, I've already paid off my mortgage and I like my job and house. I'd put £100k into each of my two kids' college funds, keep £160k for retirement and use the rest for charitable works. What I'd like to do is to watch local TV news, find people who seem to be having a rough time or alternatively someone who is doing work for the community wihtout seeking reward and send them anonymous sums of money.

#20 of 48 Robbie R

Robbie R

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted October 25 2005 - 05:50 AM

I would have a few good nights in Scores President's Club Posted Image

Link for anyone who missed the story.