-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Sam Peckinpah Westerns Collection is Here, But! See Post #81

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
194 replies to this topic

#1 of 195 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,439 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted October 07 2005 - 02:44 AM

Yee-har! Great news to brighten an otherwise dull day! From the DVD Talk forums:

Taken From this morning's USA Today:

Devotees of the late director Sam Peckinpah will revel in the upcoming "Sam Peckinpah Legendary Westerns Collection (from Warner Bros $59.92, out January 10th). Most coveted rarities in the box set: two disc special editions of The Wild Bunch, enhanced for widescreen TVs for the first time, and Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid with a version restored to the late director's original intention. The other two films are Ride the High Country (Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea) and The Ballad of Cable Hogue (Jason Robards and Stella Stevens).

Also stated that several documentries will be included.

Gets the New Year off to a flying start...
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#2 of 195 Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 02:57 AM

Great News, I've been waiting for this for quite some time!

#3 of 195 Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 02:57 AM

Outstanding! Various sources have said that the familiar Peckinpah Posse from other commmentary tracks--Redman, Seydor, Simmons, and Weddle--have already done commentaries for other discs, so should we expect those on all four of these new ones?

#4 of 195 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,439 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 03:01 AM

Yes, I think you should! Plus the extras will include this doco Posted Image

Over at the Peckinpah web board Nick Redman has said:

Glad to see that our audio commentaries have at least one supporter....thanks D.W. Garner, Paul, David and I have done commentaries on all the Warner Peckinpahs, as well as the about-to-be released Major Dundee,and I have to say they are a lot of fun to do, and I hope they are fun and informative for the listeners. In fact, for the PAT GARRETT disc we did two commentaries, one on the old so-called "director's cut," and one on the new cut which Paul Seydor and I supervised, which specifically charts the differences between the two, and why the director's cut wasn't the director's cut at all.
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#5 of 195 Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 03:26 AM

Ah, very cool. Yeah, their commentaries are pretty great.

#6 of 195 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 03:30 AM

Yeah finally!!!

This was among my most anticipated releases of last year prior to it's delay. Can't wait to finally own my favorite movie of all time on DVD in a fitting collector's set - The Wild Bunch!!!

Plus the other films are all noteworthy too, I'm very excited!

#7 of 195 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,439 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 03:40 AM

Manged to track down the 'USA Today' release in full:

Peckinpah's restored films ride again on home DVD

Devotees of the late director Sam Peckinpah will revel in the upcoming Sam Peckinpah Legendary Westerns Collection (from Warner Home Video, $59.92, out Jan. 10, 2006). Most coveted rarities in the box set: two-disc special editions of The Wild Bunch, enhanced for widescreen TVs for the first time, and Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid with a version restored to the late director's original intention.

"The film was a victim of the Kirk Kerkorian-James Aubrey era (at MGM), where they took films and hacked them," says Warner's George Feltenstein. "Peckinpah's version was amazing." Several scholars used Peckinpah's notes and five different negatives to reconstruct the film, which stars Kris Kristofferson, James Coburn and Bob Dylan.

Commentaries accompany Garrett and the other two films*, Ride the High Country (Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea) and The Ballad of Cable Hogue (Jason Robards, Stella Stevens), which was a comedic departure from the director's usual brutal handiwork. Several documentaries detail the life of Peckinpah, who died in 1984 at age 59. "He was an almost mythic figure among directors," Feltenstein says. "Our collection represents him really at the height of his skill."

Page probably won't be up long but it's currently here FWIW.

*EDIT - I wouldn't panic at that; Redman has already stated there will be a commentary for The Wild Bunch - I'll eat my 10 gallon hat if there isn't!
Film Journal Blog

#8 of 195 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,395 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 07 2005 - 04:13 AM

I wouldn't panic at that; Redman has already stated there will be a commentary for The Wild Bunch - I'll eat my 10 gallon hat if there isn't!

I bought a USA Today paper this morning like I do every Friday and was wondering the same thing after reading the article.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#9 of 195 Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 05:29 AM

My favorite Peckinpah film--and one of my favorite films of all times-- is THE BALLAD OF CABLE HOGUE. I'm glad to see that it's finally going to get the respect that it deserves. It's a tragicomic western that beautifully integrates animation and musical numbers (Jason Robards and Stella Stevens actually sing a duet of "Butterfly Morning") into an anthropological fable about the encroachment of technology on the Old West. It's unlike any movie that Peckinpah...or for that matter, anyone...ever made. Great Jerry Goldsmith score too!!
Charles Hoyt

#10 of 195 Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,088 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 05:55 AM

What about the Peckinpah documentary that's excerpted in the MAJOR DUNDEE DVD?

Passion And Poetry: The Ballad Of Sam Peckinpah

I thought it was great and would love to see the whole thing.

#11 of 195 Paul Borges

Paul Borges

Stunt Coordinator

• 141 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 05:58 AM

Yes! Yes! Let's Go.

#12 of 195 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,592 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 06:22 AM

One double dip - but definitely a better version - and three eagerly wanted films! Posted Image

Consider this pre-ordered already, Digital Eyes!

Cees

#13 of 195 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,467 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted October 07 2005 - 07:11 AM

No problem for me with the double-dip on The Wild Bunch, since we're getting an anamorphic upgrade and an SE. This set is mine!!

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#14 of 195 PaulaJ

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor

• 578 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 07:16 AM

This is THRILLING news!!!

Maybe someday hell will really freeze over and we'll get an anamorphic transfer of Junior Bonner, too. Posted Image (One of my favorite Peckinpahs.) Posted Image

Wow, between this and the restored Major Dundee (which was such a treat to see in the theater)... I'm a happy little cowgirl. Posted Image
PaulaJ

#15 of 195 Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 07:50 AM

Can I get a "Fuck yeah!"?

Particularly happy to see the great Pat Garrett on DVD. So my "Director's Cut" LD wasn't a director's cut after all? Can't wait to see the new version.

--Jefferson Morris
"If fakes, they were masterpieces."

--The New York Times commenting on Willis O'Brien's dinosaurs in The Lost World (1925).

"From the two trailers I've seen, the movie looks like AIDS."--Recent thread post on AICN

#16 of 195 Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 07:59 AM

A "Fuck yeah!" emoticon would be useful in this situation. Posted Image

#17 of 195 Jing_B

Jing_B

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 08:36 AM

OMG!!! Finally "The Wild Bunch" Special Edition!!! A few questions though. Is this goin to be released individually? And is this goin to be a 2-Disc Edition?

#18 of 195 Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 08:40 AM

The USA Today article indicates that Wild Bunch will be a 2-disc SE. I don't think Warners has ever made any of their 2-disc SEs boxset-only, so it seems pretty safe to assume that it'll be available separately.

#19 of 195 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 08:44 AM

I'm really looking forward to artwork.

#20 of 195 Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted October 07 2005 - 03:08 PM

Hope that they also use actor commentaries: RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY (Mariette Hartley, L.Q. Jones, James Drury), THE WILD BUNCH (Ernest Borgnine, Bo Hopkins), THE BALLAD OF CABLE HOGUE (Stella Stevens, David Warner...and "Noon Wine" as an addition), PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID (Kris Kristofferson, Bob Dylan, Rita Coolidge, and Harry Dean Stanton). Awesome stuff!
Charles Hoyt