What's new

Sam Peckinpah Westerns Collection is Here, But! See Post #81 (1 Viewer)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There are two versions in the set; the 1988 122 minute version (the original theatrical cut was 106 minutes) and a brand new 115 minute version which is, as the press release says, 'based on the director’s notes and insights from his colleagues.'

Nick Redman has said at the Sam Peckinpah web board:

"In fact, for the PAT GARRETT disc we did two commentaries, one on the old so-called "director's cut," and one on the new cut which Paul Seydor and I supervised, which specifically charts the differences between the two, and why the director's cut wasn't the director's cut at all...

"...I think I posted earlier this year in one of the threads on this board, the wife scene, as well as the Ruthie Lee scene, the Bob Dylan song and an extended sequence with the prostitutes have all been reinstated in the new cut of PG and BTK."

...as well as seven minutes being excised! Fascinating stuff.

Jing_B

Stunt Coordinator
The Beauty and the Beast DVD had three versions of the same film on one disc; The Special Edition, Original Theatrical Release and the Work in Progress Edition.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Don't forget Dawn of the Dead -- didn't its "Ultimate Edition" include *four* different cuts?

I am very, very, very much looking forward to the Peckinpah set.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
It does, 3 cuts of the film + 1 disc of extras in the 4 disc box.

Excited about this as The Wild Bunch is the only one of the 4 I've seen.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
box art is nothing special, but as usual the individual case covers look fantastic!

This is already box-set of the year for me without question!!

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Wow, I love both the box artwork and the cover art for each movie -- I usually slip the DVD cases out the box and shelve them alphabetically though.

I've never seen any of these movies but I definitely want to pick up The Wild Bunch, would you say the set was worth a blind buy? I'm a big fan of Westerns...

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Excellent, I'll probably go for the entire set even though it means I'll get stung with a pesky customs charge.

I love Warner Brothers ;) :emoji_thumbsup:

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
wow just found out about this.

Guess I'll be saving my pennies to buy this.

Apart from WB, have never seen the others

:emoji_thumbsup:

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I am expecting to acquire this set for around $45 / £25 from DVD Import (a Canadian site) or CD-WOW, Oscar. Although, I am a bit worried, now that Warner has decided to use bi-lingual packaging.

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
Re customs charges to the UK for dvd's sent together totalling £18+...if you buy from caiman usa, via Amazon UK's alternate buying options, whatever the cost of the item, within reason, they "mistakenly" put it as under £18 - so no customs or vat charges :)

Note that you can't pre-order titles from this supplier - they are only listed from day of release onward, but to compensate p&p is only £1.24 per title too, irrespective if it's a boxset or single disc.

Their service, speed and packaging seem excellent...on the other hand for dvd's under £18 or unavailable from caiman I can recommend dvd pacific, again a great supplier - both use only US disc's, so no bilingual packaging problems.

M

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I have used caiman usa in the past. For books. Good vendor. Wasn't aware that they fudged the CN22 sticker for DVD packages. Naughty, naughty! £1.24 for shipping, too? Not bad, not bad, at all.

Cheers, Mark. I shall bear this information in mind.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

HUH??

Where did you hear this Gordon?

I've yet to experience it so far, but I've got to say that if WB would dare be ignorant enough to bastardize their beautifuly designed box sets with bilingual text... that will severely cut down on my purchases!

90% of my DVD buying consist of Warner Bros. product, and I am extremely anal when it comes to packaging and design. I am the same way about ordering box sets and digipaks online due to receiving damaged or dented packages.

To this day, I drive to the States to purchase all my Disney Platinum Editions and will otherwise wait to travel to the US for any other similar release which is marred by bilingual packaging, including those I would have otherwise bought on street date.

I really hope this is not true, and if it is... I have to ask WHY?

I can't imagine that WB would have received any complaints from the French market. Where are you getting this info from if you don't mind?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Hi, Marco. Check this thread out:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...02#post2826102

Do all territories have bi-lingual covers only for Fox, Paramount, Universal DVDs or is it just Quebec? It's a law in Quebec, right? Very silly, I feel. Maybe, in Scotland, we should have bi-ling covers, that also have Gaelic text on them. And in Wales, have traditional Welsh!

Why can't their just be a non-messy sticker or seperate glossy sheet in French? Or reversable slipcover? Why does it have to be an integrated bilingual cover? Do they do this for CDs, books - cornflakes boxes?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks