Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need help with progressive DVD on LCD HDTV please

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   GauravL

GauravL

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted September 26 2005 - 08:28 AM

I have a Sony DVP-NS725P (a couple years old but able to play DVDs in progresive scan) hooked up to a Sharp Aquos LCD HDTV that I just got (LC-37D4U) via componet cables.

I play a DVD in progressive scan mode and the tv confirms that the signal is 480p. The picture looks good but sometimes there is a horizontal line that runs across the screen usually somewhere in the bottom half of the picture that looks like some of the image is getting lost.

It is not a line of static. It seems like a horizontal line of pixels is just dropped and the rest of the image below it is just moved up. This causes a line across the screen.

Does anyone know if this is the fault of the DVD player or of the TV? Has anyone encountered this? Is there something i am doing wrong? A setting that i may have wrong?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Dean_S

Dean_S

Second Unit

• 261 posts

Posted September 26 2005 - 09:05 AM

I have an LC-37HV6U (older LCD then yours) and I've used two progressive scan DVD players on component inputs and not had any problems, so I would guess your problem is either the player or the cables. You might try to borrow another player and set of component cables and try that out.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   GauravL

GauravL

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted September 27 2005 - 08:29 AM

I have figured out what was wrong ... thanks all for helping. Here's what it was (in case someone encounters the same problem).

There was a setting on my DVD player for 4:3 televisions and 16:9 television. The problem is that i was setting the display for 4:3 televisions. As a result the TV was altering the image for every frame and couldnt quite handle the load. Setting the output on the DVD player for 16:9 televisions gets rid of the problem as the TV doesnt have to do as much work to show the image.

The customer support at Sharpusa put me on the right track. Surprisingly helpful they are.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   John S

John S

Producer

• 5,460 posts

Posted September 27 2005 - 08:41 AM

I would have never gotten that from the description given.

Was it obviously not correct in aspect ratio? Like circles were not circles? ect?

It is important to have your DVD player set correctly for sure though.