What's new

Need help with progressive DVD on LCD HDTV please (1 Viewer)

GauravL

Auditioning
I have a Sony DVP-NS725P (a couple years old but able to play DVDs in progresive scan) hooked up to a Sharp Aquos LCD HDTV that I just got (LC-37D4U) via componet cables.

I play a DVD in progressive scan mode and the tv confirms that the signal is 480p. The picture looks good but sometimes there is a horizontal line that runs across the screen usually somewhere in the bottom half of the picture that looks like some of the image is getting lost.

It is not a line of static. It seems like a horizontal line of pixels is just dropped and the rest of the image below it is just moved up. This causes a line across the screen.

Does anyone know if this is the fault of the DVD player or of the TV? Has anyone encountered this? Is there something i am doing wrong? A setting that i may have wrong?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Dean_S

Second Unit
I have an LC-37HV6U (older LCD then yours) and I've used two progressive scan DVD players on component inputs and not had any problems, so I would guess your problem is either the player or the cables. You might try to borrow another player and set of component cables and try that out.

GauravL

Auditioning
I have figured out what was wrong ... thanks all for helping. Here's what it was (in case someone encounters the same problem).

There was a setting on my DVD player for 4:3 televisions and 16:9 television. The problem is that i was setting the display for 4:3 televisions. As a result the TV was altering the image for every frame and couldnt quite handle the load. Setting the output on the DVD player for 16:9 televisions gets rid of the problem as the TV doesnt have to do as much work to show the image.

The customer support at Sharpusa put me on the right track. Surprisingly helpful they are.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I would have never gotten that from the description given.

Was it obviously not correct in aspect ratio? Like circles were not circles? ect?

It is important to have your DVD player set correctly for sure though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks