-

Photo
- - - - -

Ghost Whisperer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
131 replies to this topic

#1 of 132 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,505 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted September 24 2005 - 05:10 PM

Okay, I guess I'll be the brave one to start this thread. I've never seen an episode of Medium so don't know if it's a complete ripoff. My take is it's a cross between Tru Calling and Touched by An Angel. I didn't think there was anything spectacular about the show and some of it was cheesy. I did get a kick out of seeing the Prison Break guy playing the ghost soldier and the love interest from Miss Match playing her husband.
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#2 of 132 OFFLINE   Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted September 24 2005 - 05:44 PM

Medium is mainly a crime show and much grittier, this looks more like one of those "uplifting, heartwarming" shows but not as treacly as Touched by an Angel was. I actually liked it and I generally really hate "heartwarming" shows. It makes one feel good without being sickly sweet, sorta like Joan of Arcadia.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#3 of 132 OFFLINE   Don Black

Don Black

Screenwriter

• 1,485 posts

Posted September 24 2005 - 07:47 PM

Wasn't my cup of tea at all. Perhaps I'm just used to seeing JLH in shows that target a younger audience though...

#4 of 132 OFFLINE   David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted September 24 2005 - 08:32 PM

The tone of the show was all over the place, like the creators couldn't decide on what kind of show they wanted it to be, either heartwarming or cynical. I liked Melinda best when she tried to pretend she hadn's seen the VFW manager's wife. I was all set to drop the show by about 50 minutes in and then it became a whole 'nother, more cleverly plotted show when Melinda clued the audience in to the fact that her brother-in-law was deceased. The way the TPTB played that moment made me re-evaluate the brains of the people scripting this show for the better.

I like the premise and the actors, so I'm going to give it a few more weeks to establish itself. Besides, with the Stargate series at mideseason hiatus, there really isn't anything better to watch on Friday nights.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#5 of 132 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,754 posts

Posted September 25 2005 - 12:00 AM

I was more like, "they cancelled Joan of Arcadia to script ways to show off JLH's cleavage?"
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#6 of 132 OFFLINE   Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted September 25 2005 - 02:25 AM

If it wasn't for JHL I wouldn't have lasted the full hour. I haven't written it off yet but it didn't win me over either.

#7 of 132 OFFLINE   Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor

• 808 posts

Posted September 25 2005 - 03:59 AM

I thought a similar thing,"They cancelled Joan of Arcadia for this crap?" Now My wife loved 'Joan' and I groaned while watching it at first but it turned out to be a very good show with a strong cast, Chick show? Yes. But I could get into it.

Now I never judge a show on Pilot alone so I will check out the next one, But that being said this show is not as good as any of the shows that it is similar to. Medium, Joan, Touched by an Angel(lol i never watched it but bare with me)Dead Like me and they're gonna need alot to make this show worth watching.

Sooo many shows have dead people who talk to the living in a much better way where this just looks week, Rescue me, Six Feet Under and Medium and Dead Like Me that this show needs to make it not seem like we are watching a stale rip.

The opening Titles were horrendous what the hell was that all about. As for JLH I dig the JLH but if she's gonna cry while mediating to an invisible person each episode you can count me out.
Nowhere In Mulberry~The Weekly Podcast Commentary of Film, Television and Pop Culture! iTunes

#8 of 132 OFFLINE   Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,032 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted September 25 2005 - 04:19 AM

I only watched it because there was nothing else on before Threshold and Numbers.

I had absolutely no interest in this sort of show.

I have to admit though, I liked it. I didn't want to like it, but I did.

I will be interested to see how (or if) they can keep it interesting.
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#9 of 132 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,505 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted September 25 2005 - 05:12 AM

When she was relaying the information from the ghost to his son I was wondering how long they could keep that up. To hear the ghost say it and then her actually repeat it word for word got old really fast. Like when you're on the phone with someone and you wind up talking to someone else in the room with the person on the phone doing the talking for you. Posted Image

#10 of 132 OFFLINE   Luis Esp

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor

• 585 posts

Posted September 25 2005 - 01:20 PM

I liked the show, hopefully the network will give it a chance to grow some legs.

It reminds of Charmed from the early years, but I'm really tired of seeing Wentworth Miller in almost every show.

I'm currently watching "Popular" season 1 and he was on that show. Not to mention his own show, the finale of "Joan of Arcadia" and the horrid videos by Mariah Carey.

Crikey, he's becoming the Jude Law of tv.
I'm not nice...people just make that assumption of me.

#11 of 132 OFFLINE   Natalie F

Natalie F

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted September 25 2005 - 03:27 PM

Quote:
I'm really tired of seeing Wentworth Miller in almost every show.

I'm not. Yum. My. Between him and David Conrad (shirtless I might add) this wasn't as horrible as I thought it was going to be. Not to say it was spectacular either. The countless close-ups of JLH's face just made me think she has a really pointy nose.

They're going to have to mix it up a bit next week otherwise this is going to get really boring.

Quote:
I was more like, "they cancelled Joan of Arcadia to script ways to show off JLH's cleavage?"

There actually weren't as many cleavage-y shots as I was expecting but still quite a few. Ah well, as long as they keep her husband shirtless they can feature her chest as much as they want Posted Image

#12 of 132 OFFLINE   MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted September 26 2005 - 02:10 AM

Let me know when they start putting JLH in bikinis. I'll tune in then.
"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

#13 of 132 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,505 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted September 26 2005 - 03:36 AM

Well, seeing that in the last scene of the pilot it was snowing I think there's going to be a lot of sweaters and turtlenecks for awhile. Posted Image

#14 of 132 OFFLINE   MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted September 26 2005 - 06:57 AM

Quote:
seeing that in the last scene of the pilot it was snowing

Well then, I'll tune in when she moves to southern cali in the summertime. Posted Image
"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

#15 of 132 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted September 30 2005 - 01:23 PM

Tonight was the first ep that I watched, not bad at all. Posted Image

Also, tonight's ep made me tear up quite a bit, that little boy just got to me. Posted Image
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#16 of 132 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,505 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted October 01 2005 - 04:32 AM

Quote:
Well then, I'll tune in when she moves to southern cali in the summertime.
Well, the weather has changed but she's still wearing long flowing dresses. Posted Image

It's always fun to see Christine Baranski.

I'm not sure if this show will stick with me over the season. I was sort of interested in Cold Case for a few weeks but I eventually lost interest.

#17 of 132 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,604 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted October 01 2005 - 12:11 PM

I thought the kid did a really good job in this week's episode.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#18 of 132 OFFLINE   Jim Douglas

Jim Douglas

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted October 03 2005 - 09:33 AM

I've watched the first two shows and I think they had a better show with "Joan of Arcadia". I just can't see staying with it week after week.

Jim

#19 of 132 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted October 03 2005 - 09:42 AM

Yeah, but on the plus side, JLH does have two, big, huge, enormous pluses going for her, she's beautiful and she makes the show watchable.
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#20 of 132 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,505 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted October 03 2005 - 09:47 AM

Yeah, her ears are awesome!!! Posted Image

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow