Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The War At Home

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   Rob P S

Rob P S

Screenwriter

• 1,996 posts

Posted September 12 2005 - 02:27 PM

Ugh. This was terrible, apart from a couple of good lines. Michael Rapaport may be a good film actor, but is woefully miscast as a sitcom lead. And Kyle Sullivan is as annoying as he was on Malcolm in the Middle, maybe more. But if you like racist and homophobic jokes, have at it.

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 15,421 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 12 2005 - 03:22 PM

I was expecting much worse. It'll never rank among the greats, but for a show that has absolutely no qualms about slumming it, I had a pretty good time. Fox has aired far worse.

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,732 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted September 12 2005 - 05:18 PM

I was thinking to myself, "It's 2005 and they're still doing watered-down All in the Family?" Or, if you will, watered-down Married with Children, or any other dysfunctional family series of the post-Cosby era. Does anyone else consider the "TV dysfunctional family" a cliché?

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,732 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted September 12 2005 - 05:20 PM

Edited to remove double post

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   MikeFR

MikeFR

Supporting Actor

• 595 posts

Posted September 13 2005 - 03:39 AM

I changed the channel as soon as I heard the laugh track.

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,954 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted September 13 2005 - 03:58 AM

I just had the channel tuned to Fox and had read a negative pre-premiere review, but that laugh track was a killer, especially tied to a bad joke.

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted September 13 2005 - 06:47 AM

I thought I flipped on one of those cheesey coffee commercials that was making fun of sitcoms. I don't drink coffee so switched the channel. Posted Image

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted September 13 2005 - 07:20 AM

The only reason I watched it was precisely because of its strategic position between "The Simpsons" and "The Family Guy". Horrible show. I wonder how long it will be before the slot is filled with "The Simpsons" repeats.

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,732 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted September 13 2005 - 08:23 AM

I give it until January. BTW, what's on TV Land between 8:30 and 9:00 EST?

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted September 13 2005 - 08:57 AM

That's optimistic. I say it doesn't see the other side of baseball.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,954 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted September 13 2005 - 09:21 AM

I caught a bit of Rappaport plugging the show on a talk show. He didn't sound too convincing. I guess we know why.

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted September 13 2005 - 12:40 PM

How long did Princes of Malibu last? They should bring back Futurama and put it in that time slot.

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   Rob P S

Rob P S

Screenwriter

• 1,996 posts

Posted September 13 2005 - 02:19 PM

Little House on the Prairie

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,732 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted September 13 2005 - 03:31 PM

No, that's not optimistic. Optimistic is hoping it doesn't see the other side of this month!

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor

• 593 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted September 14 2005 - 07:11 AM

new plan: tape King of the Hill at 7:30 Start Sunday viewing at 8:00 with The Simpsons watch tape of King of the Hill at 8:30 Watch Family Guy at 9:00 American Dad at 9:30 Six Feet Under at 10:00
40% Ben Katz + 30% Bobby Hill (Texas) + 20% Monica Geller + 10% William Dent. (Wardrobe by George Costanza)

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   Todd Stout

Todd Stout

Screenwriter

• 1,038 posts

Posted September 15 2005 - 04:59 PM

I just caught a few minutes of this on Fox tonight. It was like a car accident... I didn't want to look but it was hard to look away. I really got the impression that it was trying to be like Titus but Titus actually kept me rolling through each episode. I must say that the actress who plays the daughter was pretty attractive at least. The rest of the show was pretty bad so I switched over to a rerun of Scrubs. Man I miss Titus...

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,732 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted September 15 2005 - 05:44 PM

I think we're going to go back to the days of not being able to launch a hit show inbetween The Simpsons and whatever's at 9:00, which used to be Married with Children, then X-Files; until King of the Hill premiered a long, unbroken string of flop shows occupied the 8:30 time slot.

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   Sheldon C

Sheldon C

Second Unit

• 379 posts

Posted January 31 2007 - 01:34 AM

Wow, this show has either changed a lot or I have completely different taste from all the posters on this thread! I have been watching this show for the past few months and I think it's hilarious! The episode where Kenny the neighbor comes out of the closet was very funny. Am I crazy? Surely others must like the show because it's been on longer than all the posters here predicted.

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Executive Producer

• 10,109 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 31 2007 - 06:03 AM

I don't have any illusions about there being an ounce of originality in this show, but I find it watchably funny. It's certainly not the worst sitcom around these days. Missed the one where Kenny comes out. His secret crush on Larry was a good running gag.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   Sheldon C

Sheldon C

Second Unit

• 379 posts

Posted February 01 2007 - 03:26 AM

Yeah, I never saw it in it's first season, so I wonder if it's improved a lot. All 3 kids are funny to me, and the wife isn't bad to look at. The dad grew on me and the rare times when he shows some heart works for me. I guess I don't analyze if a show is original or not. If that were the case then I wouldn't watch hardly any hour long shows since they are almost all about crime or a hospital - or better yet, crime in a hospital.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users