Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Reliable DVD player for under $100?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Donald_S

Donald_S

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted August 24 2005 - 05:58 AM

I have a friend who has had horrible problems with a Toshiba DVD player. She wants to get a basic progressive scan DVD player that will play everything she gets from Netflix. Speed and features are not that important, reliable playing of disks is. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Donald

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,915 posts

Posted August 24 2005 - 12:17 PM

It’s no problem finding them under $100. A reliable one – that’s another question. If it lasts more than a couple of years, you’re ahead of the game.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   DerekCV

DerekCV

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted August 25 2005 - 02:04 AM

I bought a cheap DVD player at Sams club about 6 months ago... it is tiny, no display screen.. very basic, has component and S-video out. It was like $40 and I've had about 100 of my sons DVD through it with no issues... I'd get another one.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted August 25 2005 - 03:53 AM

Like Wayne notes, spending less than a hundred bucks is chancy when trying to locate a reliable DVD player. Up your budget by about $30-$40 and you're in better territory.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Leroy

Leroy

Second Unit

• 306 posts

Posted August 25 2005 - 07:03 AM

Well,

My $70 Pioneer DV-270s holds up very well next to my $300 JVC 723GD. And plays any and every type of media I throw at it, unlike the JVC, which I only keep around for SACD playback.

So, there are some good quality, relieable players on the cheap.
I rule all that I survey...and that ain't much.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Donald_S

Donald_S

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted August 25 2005 - 04:45 PM

First, thanks for the feedback.

Second, I wasn't very clear. The unit works fine, hasn't broken down or anything like that. But it has trouble playing about 20% of the disks, especially if they are rentals like Netflix or Blockbuster ones that have been around for awhile. It's not the disks though, because she took them to a friend's house and they played fine. I'll look into the Pioneer, Leroy.

Any other suggestions would be *much* appreciated.

Donald

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Leroy

Leroy

Second Unit

• 306 posts

Posted August 26 2005 - 01:35 AM

Donald,

If you can't locate the DV-270s, the newest version is the DV-275s and is still $100 or less depending on where you look. I too had problems with some discs in my JVC, and as I said before, the Pioneer handles everything I've put in it.
I rule all that I survey...and that ain't much.