Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Race With the Devil

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   FrancisP

FrancisP

Screenwriter

• 1,115 posts

Posted July 02 2005 - 01:46 PM

I had fond memories of this movie when I bought the Anchor Bay disc. It didn't disappoint. This is an obscure but very well made film with a first rate cast.

I also give kudos to Anchor Bay. The picture is in good shape. The extras include a interview with Peter Fonda, a
commentary with the executive producer and Lara Parker, trailers and a still gallery. All this for $14.95 SRP that
I bought for 11.95. An excellent value.

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted July 04 2005 - 10:34 PM

Apparently, it is the PG version with the blurred-out nudity and not the R cut. This would have been the ideal time to use the uncut version.

Not a great film, but its got Warren Oates in it. And that didn't happen enough in movies.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted July 04 2005 - 11:13 PM

TBH, I've never seen an 'R' cut of the film and personally speaking it's not that big a deal. What is a bummer is the fact that it's not quite as good as I remembered it, which is a pity.

It's so very nearly a really good movie, but sadly Oates is restricted to knitting his eyebrows, looking fairly concerned, saying 'Nnnnn-yah!' alot, and having fun with a ski-pole and a rubber snake. Peter Fonda - who wasn't missing working with Sam Peckinpah - tells us he had a blast. What the hell; considering the production problems it's a wonder they came up with a film this decent, and there are worse ways to spend an evening...
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted July 05 2005 - 12:42 AM

Yeah, not exactly a great role for Oates, but his face is up there on the screen. Gimme that face over any of the sissy boys we got today in Hollywood. That man was what American is really about. I love Cockfighter. One of the greatest American films ever made. Most American films, paradoxically are not about America. As Werner Herzog once said, American is one of the most "exotic" places on Earth. Hellman's films, particularly, Two-Lane Blacktop, also with Oates, seem to give an idea to me what he is refering to. Peckinpah's, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (once again with Oates!) is a prime example of a key 70s film that shows a side of the American psyche that I find fascinating. Race With the Devil is a cheesier, unrefined take on this aspect of Modern American Life, but is still interesting and fascinating and Satanism has its strongest followings in America and God knows it has more than its fair share of absurd violence.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted July 05 2005 - 02:36 AM

I so looked forward to this movie on DVD...and was not disappointed! I saw this movie as a kid and it still puts a smile on my face all these years later. For me, nothing beats that end!Posted Image
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,568 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 05 2005 - 06:22 AM

Guys,

I am working on an official review of this release. It's been held up because my central air has been down for several days and my free time has been spent trying to fix it (couldn't get anyone out due to the holiday; I live in South Florida, and my wife is 8 months pregnant -- priorities!!!).

Fortunately, I got it fixed this morning (finally got a service call), so the review should be up in the next day or two.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Richard_D_Ramirez

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit

• 439 posts

Posted July 05 2005 - 07:27 AM

Is this the flick where...

...two couples in a Winnebago are chased down by devil worshipping bikers? If it is...

I was about eight or nine and barely remember anything from the film. The title of the film just made me remember clearly that I had decided to rearrange my bedroom earlier the same day I saw the movie on TV. I moved my twin bed from alongside the wall to the headboard against the wall. After watching the movie that night, I DID NOT sleep the entire evening. I remember being constantly terrified peering over the edges of my bed...

If this is the same film I remember, the title sure did bring out a suppressed memory from me! Posted Image

8^B

**EDIT** I'll have to check out this DVD to see if it is the same, and if it it will still keep me from sleeping at night!
A Casualty of Casual Causality: My casual blog on the 'net.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,455 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted July 05 2005 - 08:47 AM

Quote:
Is this the flick where...

Yes it is, and while it does not have the impact we all remember long ago, I found it was still quite creepy and sustained a nice atmosphere. It was great to revisit the flick. The opening credits are also incredibly cool!

The transfer looked damn good for the most part - kudos to Anchor Bay for their effort!

I thought the blurring mentioned in a previous post was always present in the theatrical release - which IIRC was always PG...? Maybe I'm wrong. The TV version I think trimmed a bit more of the violence during that particular scene.

Another quick observation: as is the case with many good horror films (and I do consider this a good one, conceptually), there are some nice, resonating ideas: Oates' comment early on that they don't need anything or anyone - that they are "self-contained," and then the group is ironically forced to confront the folks on the outside - who may or may not be malevolent. Just a great, creepy concept!

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   ScottLloyd

ScottLloyd

Stunt Coordinator

• 115 posts

Posted October 06 2007 - 04:16 PM

I agree-more Warren Oates is a good thing.

I enjoyed this flick but it didn't quite grab me enough for a purchase and extra viewing at this time.

Aaron said:

Guys,

I am working on an official review of this release. It's been held up because my central air has been down for several days and my free time has been spent trying to fix it (couldn't get anyone out due to the holiday; I live in South Florida, and my wife is 8 months pregnant -- priorities!!!).

Fortunately, I got it fixed this morning (finally got a service call), so the review should be up in the next day or two.

Being lazy I'll ask now: link?

Posted Image

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,568 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 08 2007 - 05:16 AM

You had me worried that it'd disappeared or something! Posted Image

Old DVD reviews get moved to the "DVD Reviews Archive" folder down at the bottom of the folder list.

http://www.hometheat....with the devil

Enjoy!

(BTW, my A/C is acting up again. . . Posted Image)
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted October 08 2007 - 09:46 AM

When this came out I was living in San Mateo CA and took some young thing who loved horses.
I remember the movie, not the girl. Posted Image
It was more fun to see it again a few years ago because it was filmed in the Hill Country of Tejas, where I live now
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-