-

Photo

MGM/Warner October Horror; Midnite Movies, Val Lewton, Demon Seed and more

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
165 replies to this topic

#161 of 166 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,000 posts

Posted September 08 2006 - 10:17 PM

Agreed, Mattias. I remain convinced that these DVDs were a rare disappointment from Warner (sorry, WB). Just because the Val Lewton films themselves are dark and shadowy doesn't mean that it isn't also possible that the DVD transfers themselves can't be overly dark like any other shoddy rendition of any other black and white film. Still, the main offender for me was THE BODY SNATCHER. The main problem I had with I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE was that it was riddled with stains and scratches. And there were already better prints which people have seen of that title.

Since I last wrote about THE BODY SNATCHER being far too dark and murky, I had attended a Boris Karloff festival in Manhattan back in February 2006. They were playing THE BODY SNATCHER on the big screen and sure enough, it looked much better than the Warner DVD does, with better contrast and a tad brighter and not at all as dingy and dark as the Lewton Collection. The theater's print was beautiful, and better matched most copies of the film I've seen throughout my life, prior to the WB set's

#162 of 166 OFFLINE   Mattias_ka

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor

• 567 posts

Posted September 09 2006 - 11:49 PM

So what LD of Body Snatchers are also better?

#163 of 166 OFFLINE   GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor

• 538 posts

Posted September 20 2007 - 11:58 AM

Just noticed on Amazon, Martin Scorsese produced documentary about Val Lewton is being released on January 8 by itself. It's listed as "Martin Scorsese Presents: Val Lewton"

#164 of 166 OFFLINE   Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted October 08 2007 - 05:43 PM

Also looks like that Scorsese documentary is being packed in to a new collection.

http://www.amazon.co....1908497&sr=8-9

Any idea if there's gonna be any changes made other than the addition of the documentary? (Saw both the docu and new collection on the DVDBeaver main page)

#165 of 166 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,153 posts

Posted October 10 2007 - 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy Mike
Also looks like that Scorsese documentary is being packed in to a new collection.

http://www.amazon.co....1908497&sr=8-9

Any idea if there's gonna be any changes made other than the addition of the documentary? (Saw both the docu and new collection on the DVDBeaver main page)

I will be 100%, absolutely and irrevocably pissed if this Scocese doc isn't released independently. No one should have to re-buy an entire box set for one added feature, however good it might be.

#166 of 166 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,452 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted October 10 2007 - 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
I will be 100%, absolutely and irrevocably pissed if this Scocese doc isn't released independently. No one should have to re-buy an entire box set for one added feature, however good it might be.

They are releasing it; see here.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

Forum Nav Content I Follow