Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Netflix

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Chris Huber

Chris Huber

Second Unit

• 416 posts

Posted June 13 2005 - 07:58 AM

How can you tell if netflix has older DVDs in widescreen?

Like this one:
http://www.netflix.c....35&trkid=10474

It says Anamorphic widescreen, but it was still squished when I watched it. It sucked.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted June 13 2005 - 08:08 AM

You have to bring a little knowledge with you, or do a bit of research. DVD-Basen is probably the best resource.
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Chris Huber

Chris Huber

Second Unit

• 416 posts

Posted June 13 2005 - 08:25 AM

Oh, I didn't see the "more" link. So anything in 2.35:1 will not be in proper format?

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight

Screenwriter

• 2,515 posts

Posted June 13 2005 - 10:51 AM

huh?
Kyle McKnight

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Chris Huber

Chris Huber

Second Unit

• 416 posts

Posted July 28 2005 - 07:46 AM

I know that this movie came out:
http://www.amazon.co....v=glance&s=dvd

Does netflix get the "updated" DVDs? Will this be available on netflix? Right now it shows the old one.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   danak

danak

Second Unit

• 334 posts

Posted July 28 2005 - 12:08 PM

Chris,
From what I can tell, if they get the special edition, then they will include that in the title; otherwise it's the old title. However, you may have to research the title because it may come out the first time, usually a while ago, as a special edition or special collector's edition (or Criterion) and Netflix will list the movie without saying it's a special edition in the title (like Out of Africa whose only release is a Collector's Edition). The only Criterion movie they have with Criterion in the title is The Killers. The rest of the Criterions you have to know it's a Criterion (sometimes Netflix will state it in the description). Lately though, they have been labeling new titles to include special edition in the title if appropriate (like 2004's Phantom of the Opera). The really weird thing they do is if a 2-disc special edition comes out (after the title has already been out), Netflix will sometimes just add the bonus disc to the title without updating the first disc (see The English Patient for example); other times, like with Heat, they will update both discs If you want to know what's a special edition, just type 'edition' in the search field and click on "Search". Right now there's 155 matches with 'edition' in the title (not all of them are really special editions) or the title has a special edition bonus disc associated with it. Dana in MD

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Chris Huber

Chris Huber

Second Unit

• 416 posts

Posted July 28 2005 - 12:39 PM

I just had "Heat: Special Edition". It looked way scratched up like it had been around for a long time. I did not recieve 2 discs, nor was it better audio/video quality like the special should be... Is the new version re-mastered?

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   danak

danak

Second Unit

• 334 posts

Posted July 28 2005 - 10:35 PM

Chris, In regards to Heat and other 2-disc titles, you have to request the 2nd disc separately, unless the movie is spread over 2 discs (like Gangs of New York), whereby both discs will get sent to you automatically. Dana in MD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users