What's new

That's my Mama (1 Viewer)

Antonio_G

Stunt Coordinator
I heard over at sitcomsonline message board that That's my Mama: Season 1 & 2 will be coming out late summer/ early fall and I hope this is not true because their are shows that need to be on tv box set before this one...

Dorrie_W

Stunt Coordinator
Well dont hate on "That's My Mama" because there are other shows that you feel need to be out before that show. I can think of a dozen shows I personally think could have waited that are on DVD while my favorites ("The Facts of Life" "Mr. Belvidere" "Growing Pains," "Family Ties," ) still have hit the streets. I personally would purchase "That's My Mama" because I liked that show. I guess there is something for everyone in the TV on DVD market.

StacyV

Second Unit

Why hope that it's not true just because there are other shows you think should be on dvd first? If anything, this should be looked at as a positive sign that titles generally perceived as less popular will eventually be released to go along with all the expected ones.

Antonio_G

Stunt Coordinator
I wasn't born about that time and I feel that their are tv box set should come out before this one...

JeffCNY

Agent
"That's My Momma" on DVD??

Don't worry yet...

However, when complete season boxed sets of "Small Wonder," "She's the Sheriff" and "Mr. Belvedere" are announced, it'll be a sure sign that the apocalypse is right around the corner!

Duck and Cover...

Jeff

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator

...so anything broadcast before you were born isn't worthy of being released ahead of shows that you have deemed to be more recent and deserving? Interesting modern-day perspective.

Antonio_G

Stunt Coordinator
I think any show before my time is worthy of being released but I don't know nothing about this show but I know the black men is also on Amen which I would also like to see that on box set but time will tell...

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
Perhaps you shouldn't be commenting in this post then if you don't have anything positive to contribute. We don't take a hankerin' to negativity around these here parts, pardner.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Well, this show was officially announced today. It got me to thinking that there have actually been a lot of 70s and 80s sitcoms featuring black casts released. And a lot of them (Sanford and Son, Good Times, What's Happening) have seen all or most of their seasons released. I think it may be because these are shows that attract both white and black buyers which perhaps gives them an edge over shows like Facts of Life, Family Ties, and Who's the Boss?

In any case, every show has its fans, so I don't begrudge any release.

StacyV

Second Unit

I sort of understand what you mean with that statement, but that's not to suggest that Facts, Family and Boss didn't garner a fair share of Black viewers who'd also be willing to purchase those shows too.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
That black man was Clifton Davis, who was good on That's My Mama (a sitcom that was within my time since I was 7 when it first aired in 1975). It wasn't that good a show, however, and on THAT basis it doesn't have much value for sale on DVD.

Amen should be released. In 1986, one year after The Jeffersons ended after 11 seasons, Sherman Hemsley played a very similar role as the scheming and underhanded Ernie Frye, the deacon of a Philadelphia church on Amen! The show lasted about 5 years and had nearly 90 year-old Jester Hairston as quick-witted and very likeable Rollie -- one of the parishoners of the church. Hairston's TV career went back to the early 1950s in Amos & Andy, and by the time Amen was cancelled in 1991 he was the oldest actor on American television.

Clifton Davis, who was the Reverend on Amen retired from show business and actually became a preacher in real life after the series was cancelled.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
After "What's Happening" was sucessfully revived in syndication with new episodes, they tried to sell the idea of "That's My Mama Now!". I remember the ads in the trade papers at the time.

I've read a pilot show was produced but nothing ever came of it. That would have been a nice extra.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Preacher or Pastor. Reverend or Father. Same meanings -- different denominations perhaps. Most people who are not religious like myself use the terms interchangeably. :)

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Jeff#, I think you missed the point of my clarification, which apparently didn't clarify anything for you at all. ;) I'll try again. Clifton Davis did not retire to become a pastor. First, he didn't retire at all. Second, he was a paster while he was doing the show.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

It would, but Sony seems not to know of the existence of many of these unaired pilots, and even if they do, they don't bother to include them (All in the Family and Married with Children both have unaired pilots which still exist and are MIA on DVD).

FYI, as I mentioned before in another thread, the show would have had Ted Lange playing Clifton Davis's part, as he was committed to "Amen."

Jeff#

Screenwriter
For the most part Clifton Davis did retire from show biz, but he made an acting comeback in 1999 as the Mayor in "Any Given Sunday" and was seen in other movies as recently as last year.

I noticed from his IMDB bio that Davis also composed music for such films as Spike Lee's "Crooklyn" and the Ben Stiller / Owen Wilson comedy remake of "Starsky & Hutch".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks