What's new

That's my Mama (1 Viewer)

Antonio_G

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking about getting That's my Mama I have never seen it but I would like to try my luck and see if I would enjoy this. I brought What's Happening and never seen it but after I watched it I enjoy it very much and I watched it over and over again and I never get bored watching it but I might not get it on August 23th because What's Happening: Final Season comes out the same day but we will see what happens and also Good Times: Season 5 but only time will tell when that day comes...

Jeff#

Screenwriter
That's My Mama was a sitcom about a barber and his mother. The barbershop was in their home.

Yet the most famous barber in American TV history was Floyd in The Andy Griffith Show. Then again, there were those occasional guest appearances by host Steve Martin on Saturday Night Live in the 1970s when in a popular sketch he portrayed "Theodoric of York -- Medeval Barber"! :D

Then there are the Barbershop feature films with Ice Cube.

Antonio_G

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for telling me that and I'm looking forward to this tv box set so I can see something new and different...

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Fuck you Sony

I remember this show from when I was 5 and the local Fox affiliate would run it at 8 PM (long before Fox was a 7-night-a-week network). I'd like to see it again, but not in a screwed-up form. This one is OFF MY LIST.

All the episodes are on deposit at the Library of Congress. They could have at least compared what they have to what the LoC has. It seems they put no thought whatsoever to this set and just slapped it out without regard to doing it right. And I was beginning to ease up on Sony. Not anymore.

Once again,

Fuck you Sony

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Hey, watch it guys. I work for a company that deals with SONY and they don't make mistakes. :D

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator

The masters exist...on 2" videotape...which explains why Sony was too lazy to do the job properly.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
On a (slightly) different topic: What's with the complaints for the slim cases used for Sony's DVD products? I haven't had a problem with those slim cases; the discs have stayed secure. The cases used by Fox for MTM S2, on the other hand...

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Phe! I know of a guy in California who transfers antique videotapes to modern formats. And Vidipax probably does it, too. When Pioneer did The Judy Garland Show, they went back to the original 2" tapes.

That's probably where the cut episodes for Sanford and Son, Diff'rent Strokes, and Soap still exist in their entirety. Time is of the essence in preserving these old shows IN THEIR ENTIRETY, because tape will not wait for the Torch Lady to get off her butt and do what they should have done in the first place.

So they got whatever happened to be on a non-obsolete format, and didn't . I've been sick of their shoot-first-ask-questions-later approach to TV releases (and, for that matter, film releases). And the worst part of it, they refuse to listen to customer service complaints.

And furthermore, why does season 2, with 2 discs (the show was cancelled in December 1975, hence the shorter season), cost the same as the 3-disc season 1 set?

John*P

Second Unit
I was thinking of checking this out on DVD, but since the sets are full of edits, that is not going to happen...

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
This releasing syndicated versions of TV shows is getting out of hand. While I have boycoted Alf and now Roseanne because of this, That's My Mama is a little harder for me to just write off. This was such a short lived 70s show and because I do mainly collect 70s TV, I am going to go ahead and get this one. It's been so long since I've even seen the show. I think that last time I saw an episode was in 75 while it was still on the air. It's one of those shows that I thought would never see the light of day on DVD. I really don't want to send the message that syndicated cuts are ok, but since we'll more than likely never see uncut episodes of this show I have to get it. This is a show that probably only real die hard 70s TV people will buy anyway so I'll take what I can get. I'm not going to be as upset as I was with SOAP season 1. Especially considering that SOAP was released unedited on VHS from Columbia House so I know the master tapes for the unedited episodes that appeared on DVD in syndicated form, do exist.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

I'm sending that message by NOT buying these sets. Unfortunately, they won't get any of these messages because:

1. They keep stumbling and bumbling with so many sets.

2. They have no customer service line. Even Disney has one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks