-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

two important pre-Monty Python shows due for release...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,912 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted April 19 2005 - 01:04 AM

TVSonDVD hasn't mentioned this yet, so thought I would.

According to British website Action TV , there will be a Region 1 DVD release of two important pre-Monty Python TV Shows:

At Last the 1948 Show, starring John Cleese, Graham Champan, Tim Brooke-Taylor (of The Goodies), Marty Feldman and Aimi MacDonald. Eric Idle and Bill Oddie (another Goodie), also appeared in bit parts.

Do Not Adjust Your Set, starring Michael Palin, Terry Jones, Eric Idle, David Jason (of Only Fools and Horses) and Denise Coffey, along with some of Terry Gilliam's animation.

Both of these sketch shows (and the radio series "Im Sorry, I'll Read That Again") were important in the formation of both Monty Python and The Goodies. Several sketches (including "Four Yorkshiremen") will be familiary to Python fans.

The release date (give in "Region 1 Releases" about 3/4 down the page) is given as 26 July.

One thing that is strange, though, is that 1948 Show is listed as a 2-dics set (only six of the 13 episodes still exist in complete form. Only a few film extracts remain from the missing episodes, so it seems odd that this would be a two-disc set).

Also, the release says Do Not Adjust… is, apparently, the "complete" Series 2, but from what I've been able to ascertain, only the first episode of series 2 still exists, along with most (9 out of 13) episodes of series 1, and both Christmas specials (so, 12 out of 28 editions of DNAYS show survive).

I imagine both of these releases are simply a "what's left of". I'm certain if any missing episodes had been discovered, we fans of missing TV would've heard something before now (that "sixth" episode of 1948 show, incidentally, was only recently reconstructed to its complete form, in 2003).

#2 of 10 Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,602 posts

Posted April 19 2005 - 03:15 AM

Wow, that's great (and unexpected) news! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I never thought I'd get the chance to see DO NOT ADJUST YOUR SET, in particular. I'll definitely be buying those collections.

Thanks much for posting the info & link.

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#3 of 10 Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted April 19 2005 - 05:16 AM

Thanks for the link and the info!

I've never seen the show so these look like great sets.

Also on the page, in the rumor control section, there is mention of a R2 release of DEMPSEY AND MAKEPEACE. That is pretty good news as well. Haven't seen the show since it aired.

#4 of 10 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 19 2005 - 08:42 AM

*Sigh* Now if only someone would discover a forgotten copy of The Complete and Utter History of Britain is an attic somewhere we'd be in great shape. Posted Image

Regards,

Joe

#5 of 10 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,912 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted April 19 2005 - 10:22 AM

Quote:
*Sigh* Now if only someone would discover a forgotten copy of The Complete and Utter History of Britain is an attic somewhere we'd be in great shape.

Wasn't part of this found in recent years?

Now, I wish someone would bring Rutland Weekend Television our way...

#6 of 10 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 19 2005 - 12:07 PM

Quote:
Wasn't part of this found in recent years?

I think they found a single episode that had been misfiled by the BBC and which therefore didn't end up in the pile of stuff they deliberately destroyed because they were "out of storage space".

Regards,

Joe

#7 of 10 Matt Stieg

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator

• 228 posts

Posted April 19 2005 - 12:18 PM

Freakin' fantastic news!!!!!!! It'll be so great to finally see these shows. It would be nice, as Andy pointed out, to some day get Rutland Weekend Television.

And maybe...just MAYBE...we could possibly get the complete surviving episodes of Peter Cook and Dudley Moore's Not Only...But Also... some day?

#8 of 10 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted April 19 2005 - 03:27 PM

Quote:
TVSonDVD hasn't mentioned this yet, so thought I would.
We'll get it posted, Andy, there's just been a lot of other stuff to report that we're behind on!
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#9 of 10 Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,058 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted April 19 2005 - 08:37 PM

Another must-see pre-Python item featuring Cleese, Chapman, Palin, and Connie Booth, is How To Irritate People.

#10 of 10 MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted April 19 2005 - 08:41 PM

Exciting news.
It's very easy to become depressed about all the great and important material, essential elements of television history, that have been lost to time (as a Doctor Who fan in particular, with 108 episodes missing, I'm keenly aware of this issue).
And as a Python fan, it is exciting to see at least some of these shows. The Pythons were some of the most influential comedians in the past 30 or 40 years, and to get a chance to see them in their formative years is an exciting prospect.
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

Forum Nav Content I Follow