What's new

X-Box vs. PS2 (1 Viewer)

RichardK

Second Unit
Rob, here are some answers.

1) Burn in? My bro has a 57" Tosh and has been playing XBOX on it since 2002. No problems for him. I have been playing on my 65" mits rptv since Nov04, no issues.
2) XBOX. many games are native 16:9, many more than on the PS2 at least % wise. Otherwise run in 'stretch' mode.
3) XBOX is the only console with DD 5.1 support.
4) I own and prefer the XBOX because of 16:9 480p support on games. DD5.1 support. XBOX Live. Halo 2.

The PS2 has been out longer and has many more titles. Some titles cross over between platforms, and it does have God of War which is the hot title now also GTA San Andreas and Gran Turismo 4.

If you want to take the most advantage of your Home Theater Set Up while playing games, the XBOX is the only way to go in my opinion...If you have a buddy who can demo a decent HT an XBOX and Halo 2, you will be amazed, both aurally and visually .

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Burn in will only be a problem if you play VERY extensively AND/OR don't have a properly tuned set (ie. the contrast should be nowhere near cranked). This will be common for any videogame console.

Great summary above. Take a look at the games you want to play and consider some of the technical needs. Pay particular attention to first party exclusive titles (ex. GT4 for Sony, Halo for Xbox, etc). Multi-platform titles will be a wash, although in general they tend to have the edge on the Xbox. If you are stoked for online gaming then Xbox Live is the only way to go.

Great, thanks for the ideas. I'm definitely leaning toward the x-box as it seems to really use the whole HT set-up.

Is there any Gran Tourismo-like game for the x-box?

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Forza Motorsport is supposed to be the Gran Turismo for the Xbox, but there are also some other great racing titles as well. Rallisport Challenge 2 and Project Gotham Racing 2 are absolutely fantastic (and less than $20.00 each, no less)!

BrionL

Stunt Coordinator
I've got both an Xbox and a PS2. I would have to say that I enjoy playing my Xbox a lot more than the PS2. My PS2 really only gets used if there are games that are released that won't be released on Xbox.

Brion

Brian E

Screenwriter
Hope you don't mind me asking in your thread Robert.

I've had an XBox, which I love, for 3 years & a GC for about as long. Never did get a PS2. I'm thinking I probably need one though. Seems there are lots of RPG's I'd like to try & the new God of War looks killer. I've never owned any Sony hardware until I bought my PSP.

Is there any chance PS2 will drop at all during/after E3? I'd hate to buy now & have it drop right away.

Anyone heard of problems with the redesigned PS2? I'd read something somewhere, but now can't find it.

Am I crazy for thinking about a PS2 when it'll probably be replaced next year?

Does the PS2 have any high rez games like XBox? 480P, 720P, 1080i???

Thanks

I picked up my X-Box yesterday. Damn, I'm hooked already. I only have NCAA Follege Football 2005, but I'm an addict. God help me.

Thanks for the help. One and all.

PS: any "Must have" suggestions for the new gamer?

PerryD

Supporting Actor
My favorite Xbox game is Burnout 3. If you have kids, think about getting DDR Ultramix with a couple Ignition-quality dance pads.

RichardK

Second Unit
Burnout 3. Halo 2. Mercenaries. NBA Ballers. NBA Street Vol 3.
ESPN NFL 2K5. Many more to choose from...ENJOY!

The Platinum hits list is excellent and only $19.99 or less, just added original Halo to that list from what I saw in the paper this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks