What's new

Kenwood Audio?video Department Is Dead!!! Read!! (1 Viewer)

Johnson_R

Auditioning
From the Audio Revolution website:

Rumors surfaced today that Kenwood USA is closing their home electronics business. Contacts at Kenwood and their PR firm were not available for comment at the time of publishing.

Email correspondence confirmed by sources inside the AV industry imply that the brand manager for Kenwood’s home audio division, Dean Hutto, was let go by the company today. Kenwood is likely to stay the course in its car audio business where the company owns a much larger portion of the electronics market.

Kenwood is a legendary Japanese audio brand with tremendous brand equity. They were first to the market with many technologies. Most recently, they were one of the first home theater brands to incorporate Faroudja’s internal video processing chips inside a DVD player at a reasonable price. Unfortunately, their Sovereign line was never the success the company had hoped for. With $49 DVD players lining the shelves of Costco, it is easy to see how an added-value brand like Kenwood could get lost in the din of consumer electronics in 2005.

Other sources have suggested Kenwood Home Electronics could be sold to other international companies. With a brand that most consumers know and respect, don’t be surprised to see Kenwood make a comeback someday soon.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Damn! I just bought a Kenwood A/V receiver! Or maybe I should consider myself lucky. Rarely pays to own an orphan, though.

Jan

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Still have two, one for the wife's set up 206 and 106 for the garage. My guess there will be some serious clearance sales to get it off the shelves.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I hate to sound cold, but they have been doing a whole lot of nothing in the last few years, so I am not at all surprised.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
This rumour again?!! Maybe it'll hold water this time...maybe not. If it's true, it might make a good lower-end consumer line for D&M.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I liked where Kenwood was going with the Entre, and I think we'll see more of that kind of connectivity down the road, but perhaps it was just a little before its time. I think they had some reliability issues, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks