Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

A Study in Terror - Region 2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Richard Stammer

Richard Stammer

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts
  • LocationSarasota, Florida

Posted March 27 2005 - 03:42 PM

Big news for Sherlock Holmes' fans of this great 60's Sherlock Holmes/Jack the Ripper movie with John Neville as Sherlock Holmes. Based on a story by Ellery Queen. Much to my surprise it is out in Region 2. Amazom.com UK has it listed, but doesn't indicate if it is widescreen??? EZYDVD in Australia lists it with a differenct cover and as in widescreen??? What gives? Does anybody know? Help!

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,463 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted March 27 2005 - 09:22 PM

From Roobarbs Forum:

"What a cheap and nasty looking thing it is too-full of dirt, flecks and scrapes...and it's fullscreen.....

Give it a miss folks!"

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Richard Stammer

Richard Stammer

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted March 27 2005 - 10:45 PM

Thanks for the post John. So am I to assume that the Australian Pal 2 from EZYDVD is superior? Sounds like it. Alo, if there is a Region 4 where is it available amd is it NTSC? I hate convrsion to NTSCand PAL speedup if I canvoid it. Thanks.

Richard

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Richard Stammer

Richard Stammer

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted March 27 2005 - 10:46 PM

Thanks for the post John. So am I to assume that the Australian Pal 2 from EZYDVD is superior? Sounds like it. Also, if there is a Region 4 where is it available and is it NTSC? I hate conversion to NTSC and PAL speedup if I can avoid them. Thanks.

Richard

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   ArthurMy

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor

• 590 posts

Posted April 11 2005 - 09:00 AM

Just got the Australian DVD of A Study in Terror. It's better than the full frame UK in that it's letterboxed (but not enhanced for widescreen TVs), but the color is Eastman drab, and it's from a print that has several splices. I suppose at some point someone will do a good DVD off the original elements, should they survive somewhere.