Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Considering Speaker Kits

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   KenLars

KenLars

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted March 10 2005 - 03:41 AM

I'm looking for a HT/audio design speaker to go on the wall (not within a couple of feet but on it) and wanted to stay within $1000/pair. There are lots of speaker designs that are good within a couple feet of a wall but not so many meant to go right up against one. I also don't want to buy some software and components and figure out a design. I want either finished speakers or a very complete kit so I just do the woodwork. I'm seriously looking at the North Creek MTM Okara II-C upgrade speakers and the North Thunder Subwoofer. There aren't so many up against the wall speaker kits (that I've found anyway) but there's probably a lot more choices of subs that would do a good job. What do you think? I also looked hard at the BESL Series 2.5 LCR speakers as they look great and seem to fit the bill and the builder has a good rep....but I think that they just blow my budget too much. Sigh... I would post links to make it easy to look but this site won't allow me to do that because I don't have 15 posts.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   KenLars

KenLars

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted March 10 2005 - 04:03 PM

Anyone have any thoughts?

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Jason Dalton

Jason Dalton

Stunt Coordinator

• 174 posts

Posted March 11 2005 - 02:13 AM

Well, I haven't heard either of the speakers you mentioned, but I don't think you could go wrong with either one. Have you considered inwalls?

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   KenLars

KenLars

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted March 11 2005 - 04:44 AM

I've thought about inwalls but not too seriously...there's just not a lot of flexibility with them...not that you CAN'T repair walls and put a new hole somewhere else if the placement isn't what you wanted/change your mind...but it's not easy to do either like moving a speaker off this shelf and onto the next one.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Darren_T

Darren_T

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted March 11 2005 - 09:06 AM

Well, I doubt you'll find a speaker that performs excellently against a wall but you may find some that peform acceptably against a wall. I'd concentrate on sealed or front ported designs and just find a pair you like or that are rated well if you trust that. If it is mostly home theater then it won't make a ton of difference, if it's critical music listening you are mostly concerned about then you'll have to make sacrifices.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   KenLars

KenLars

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted March 12 2005 - 05:17 AM

It's hard to say how much or if I'll lose by the speakers being against the wall since these speakers (and I'm sure some others that I didn't find) were designed with that in mind. I guess there's always trades to be made but these speakers will be primarily for HT. Since these guys - North Creek and BESL - are both kit makers, I was hoping that someone had made a kit by them...even if they hadn't made the exact same speakers. I did find the LDSG site and they recommended both of these makers.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   BrianAe

BrianAe

Second Unit

• 441 posts

Posted March 12 2005 - 05:49 AM

Well, they are not a kit but the ACI emerald on-walls are in your price range and I think they are exactly what you are looking for. I've heard the normal emeralds and they are incredible. I understand that the on-wall versions give up little.

http://www.audioc.co....emeraldonw.htm

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   ThomasW

ThomasW

Screenwriter

• 2,282 posts

Posted March 12 2005 - 10:43 AM

North Creek certainly designs some nice speakers. There's no magic to having speakers near to or in-wall. The only thing necessary is to have little or no baffle step compensation in the crossover. Note that virtually any speaker can be modified to function this way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users