What's new

The Stanley Kubrick Archives... (1 Viewer)

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member

Hi all,

I didn't know of another place to post this, and as the booket set includes a CD it is somewhat appropriate.

In March 2005 - the first book to explore Stanley Kubrick’s archives (also the most comprehensive study of the filmmaker to date) will be released for purchase. It is written by Alison Castle.

$200 US/£100 GBP/150 EUR.

Made in cooperation with Jan Harlan, Christiane Kubrick, and the Stanley Kubrick Estate.

**BONUS**
• books in the first print run will each include a twelve-frame film strip from a 70mm print of 2001: A Space Odyssey owned by Stanley Kubrick!

I've pieced together some more details HERE if anyone is interested. I've pre-ordered mine and hoping for the Star Child sequence !!! :)

Best,

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Interesting, Gary. Though the copy in the intro states that Mr. Kubrick made only twelve features, it should be noted that the correct number is thirteen -- Fear and Desire (which I've actually seen).

What is "DVD Beaver"?

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Hi Jack!,

Thanks for the correction...

Our fan-based DVD review/comparison site. We update this THREAD.

Of all people I was sure you knew about this upcoming book... It looks like the "Holy Grail" for Kubrick fans...

Best,

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
I saw "Fear and Desire" at the Film Forum in New York City, right before Kubrick and his lawyers put a gag order on it and stopped it from being shown anywhere. The sophisticated and witty New York audience spent almost the entire time laughing at the movie. But I, big Kubrick fan that I am, was fascinated by it, especially for historical reasons.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

Bill, when was that, sometime in the '80s? The Film Forum has been around since the '70s, I think, right?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

At a university screening in 1975. As to how "good" it is, well, one can sort of tell it is a film by Stanley Kubrick. Sort of. We all have to start somewhere.

Michael Boyd

Second Unit
Taschen makes some great film books. I have about half of their output including the oversized Some Like It Hot book. Looks like the Kubrick book will be even longer than that one. My pre-order is in as well.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Film Forum attempted to again play FEAR AND DESIRE in the mid-90's, after the George Eastman House prepared a print for them. It managed to play a couple days before Kubrick (through Warner Bros. and their lawyers) successfully coerced them into ending the screenings.

Technically, FEAR AND DESIRE has lapsed into the public domain, which is why Eastman House took on preserving it, and it was not illegal for Film Forum to run it. But during his life Kubrick was able to put enormous pressure on theatres not to play it, lest they be denied his (and, quite possibly, all WB) films in the future. So they have all abided to this day, because nobody wanted to run afoul of him. I'm sure the estate still holds sway on this matter years after his death.

Real Name
Anthony
I've had this on order for a while now. I agree that the idea of a pictorial history of Kubrick's films is not particularly inspired but if ARCHIVES comes anywhere near the standard of Taschen's gorgeous SOME LIKE IT HOT book, it should be a thing of beauty.

What really intrigues me is this 70-minute interview CD. I had no idea such a thing existed and I'm amazed (and grateful) that the Estate has agreed to its release. All the signs are that the family have a very sane attitude to Kubrick's legacy, balancing a respect for his wishes against the historical value of his career, and it perhaps bodes well for future re-releases on DVD.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Since it is public domain, I guess it's OK to talk about this. I have it on DVD but the quality is prety poor. I have never known a decent copy to exist on any video format. Has anyone actually been able to find a copy that is actually a step beyond "barely watchable"?

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
Just curious, Jack, but is it really a bootleg if it's in the public domain? I also own "Fear and Desire" but am always on the hunt for a better copy. If it's truly considered a boot, my apologies and I'll refrain from discussing it further.

As for the film itself, it's both jaw-droppingly terrible and yet profoundly inspirational. I mean, if Kubrick can start this low, and reach the unreachable heights that he eventually did...well, I think that gives hope to us all. And as bad as "Fear and Desire" is, there are some fleeting (and fascinating) glimpses into the future master filmmaker that Kubrick would become, simply in terms of shot design and lighting.

I know Kubrick was embarrassed by it, but I think "Fear and Desire" is an essential chapter in an absolutely phenomenal career. It really should get a properly-mastered release, along with "Day of the Fight," "Flying Padre" and "The Seafarers."

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Sorry guys... my review copy arrived. Luck of the draw would have it, here is a segement of my included film strip...

Sometimes you get lucky in life...

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks