What's new

The Stanley Kubrick Archives... (1 Viewer)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

Hardly. First, someone ordering the book from outside the UK (such as the poster to whom you were replying) will not pay VAT. As for shipping, it's not nearly that bad. I can get it delivered via 5-7 day air mail £6.98 (1-2 day express shipping, completely unnecessary, is available for £22.48). I can get it for a total of £76.98, or approximately $147.14.

DJ

Real Name
Anthony
Bad news - amazon uk is now listing the book as being released in April, and has put up the price to £104.10 !

I hope they'll honour the first price but I'm doubtful they will. Bummer. :frowning: :thumbsdown: :angry:

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Rip off!

As much as I love Kubrick's films, I'm not paying £104 for a book that is 50% photo-stills of films I can watch any time on DVD. Someone is taking the mick. :thumbsdown:

And what the hell has happened to Powell and Pressburger: A Cinema of Magic Spaces by Andrew Moor? I pre-ordered it in December and it was due in January. Then it was changed to March, but is now listed as being available in 4-6 weeks? Why?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...Fencoding=UTF8

Very frustrating. :frowning:

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
I'd just written amazon UK about the book. They didn't even tell me it had been pushed back to April, just that there seemed to be a delay at the publishers. Very annoying about the price hike, and I'll probably cancel my order now.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Hmm. I'm annoyed it's been pushed back, and a simple notification from Amazon about this would've been appreciated. But it's still showing at £70 in my orders list, so I'll stick with the Amazon order for now.

Jon Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Amazon are normally very good with misprices. Im sure they will honour the price.

But anyway, the most i would pay for this is £30. :frowning:

Charles Ms

Stunt Coordinator
Play.com shipped mine today. (for 74.99 GBP incl. delivery) :)

Let's hope it arrives soon and in mint condition....

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Price has dropped a whopping $74 US on Amazon.com HERE. Now at $126.00. As it will come out imminently, I wonder if now is the time to pre-order and save? Its still listed at $200 US on Amazon.ca. Amazon will honor the new price on past pre-orders.

Best,

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Any more news about a 2001 special edition?

I ask because the distributor for the video store I work for has a 2001 DVD listed on their website as a pre-order for 5/31. Before anyone gets excited, let me say that I'm still not sure if this is just a new printing of the extant remastered DVD -- for example, The Phantom Menace was also listed as a pre-order, even though it's the same DVD printed four years ago.

Here's the interesting part: the title line of the item reads 2001: A Space Odyssey (DVD WS SPL ED).

It retails $19.97 and there is a placeholder image of the old cover art and the old features are also listed. However, the remastered version is listed as OOP and is *not* referred to as a "SPL ED".

Am I holding my breath in vain, or am I justified in pre-ordering this?

I say again, I am *not* convinced this is anything more than a cataloguing error. It just has me really, really curious. Cheers!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Elijah -

It's an error. Warner's business site lists that 5/31 release as a re-promotion of the current 2001 release. It's part of a larger promotion from Warner called "DVD Advantage".

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yet, Peter, that disc notwithstanding, there are persistent rumors of a 2001 special edition coming. It certainly deserves an all-out special edition.

Richard Hardbattle

Stunt Coordinator
Mine had arrived, and it's massive! It comes in a box complete with a carry-handle!

I'vd not had a chance to go through in detail, but here's a few comments:

It's a bigger format than the Some Like It Hot book - something like A3.

The CD and Filmstrip (mines the wormhole sequence) are glued on the inside front cover.

The first third of the book is a series of beautiful sequenced photos from all of Kubrick's films, all in the correct ratio's.... (but not enhanced for widescreen - as per Mr. Kubricks request;) )

The pages are all have tabs on them, relating to each film/year.

More comments as and when I've time to sit and look at this monster!

Melson

Agent
I'm spending next week on holiday in Prague. It will be SO NICE if this baby is waiting for me when I get back!!!

BTW, Richard: where did you order it?

Richard Hardbattle

Stunt Coordinator
I've not had a chance yet to give it a good looking over. The CD is about 1.2 hours long, and is interesting.

The detailed behind the scenes of each film is amazing, loads of info and new photos, like set designs, costumes etc. Also an interesting section on aborted projects, like Napolian etc...

The A.I. Section is also illuminating, as many of the old drawings match exactly what ending up on the film....

It was bought as a gift, so I'm not sure where it was from...

Real Name
Anthony
Mine hasn't arrived yet but I had a leaf through a copy in a shop yesterday. It's a beautifully produced book and I don't really see how any Kubrick fanatic could be without it. The second section of the book looks especially fascinating.

That said, a couple of things disappointed me. I agree with the earlier poster that was dubious about the pictorial guide through Kubrick's films - I'd rather have seen the whole book dedicated to the actual archives. Also, the layout of the stills (which differs from film to film) sometimes places pictures across both pages, which is a graphics no-no in my book.
In the second part, script pages are presented but they're a little too small, and - from what I could see - the interviews with Kubrick himself are already widely available. The Michael Herr essay is an abridged version of the (excellent) articles from VANITY FAIR (also published in book form).

Bear in mind, though, that this was just a cursory look. The good here far outweighs the bad. There's a lot of new stuff here. I'm only mentioning these niggles for the benefit of those who are on the fence about this book. I'll add more when I get my copy.

BTW, it's back down to £70 on Amazon UK, but they haven't shipped mine yet. It's not the pink cover as shown there but the red one on the Taschen website.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks