Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Columbia/Sony releasing several Classic Westerns on 4/5/05

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

#1 of 50 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,470 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted January 24 2005 - 12:09 AM

Columbia are on the double dip trail again, but this one may just be worth it. From DVD Answers:

Columbia Tristar Home Entertainment has kindly sent over the official artwork for a new special edition release of The Professionals which stars Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster, Robert Ryan, Woody Strode and Jack Palance. This Richard Brooks directed film, will be available to own from the 5th April, and should retail at around $19.94. I'm afraid we have no further details on this one at the moment, but we hope to bring you some more news soon.

Box shot here.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#2 of 50 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,639 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 24 2005 - 02:27 AM

I think this was one of the best westerns ever made with a great cast and some of the best dialogue ever written for a western. Richard Brooks and Conrad Hall did an excellent job while filming this movie. The previous dvd release has a good presentation, but I will definitely purchase it again for any bonus material. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#3 of 50 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,470 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 02:35 AM

Same here. You might be interested in more westerns from Columbia / Tri-Star in R1 on April 5; look out for the 1966 Audie Murphy western The Texican, Fred Sears Bonanza Town (1951), Charles Vidor's 1943 film The Desperadoes with Randolph Scott and Glenn Ford (Columbia's first Technicolor feature), Fred MacMurray in A Good Day For A Hanging (1959), the brilliant Delmar Davies western Jubal (1956) with Glenn Ford, Rod Steiger and Ernest Borgnine, Ford again in Lust for Gold (1949) and again in George Marshall's 1941 film Texas alongside Bill Holden and Claire Trevor. Lastly the unbiquitous Ford stars with Barbara Stanwyck and Edward G. Robinson in 1955's The Violent Men.
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#4 of 50 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,639 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 24 2005 - 02:41 AM

John,
This is great news and yes I'm interested in most of those titles. I especially can't wait for the following:
  • A Good Day for a Hanging
  • Jubal
  • Lust for Gold
  • The Violent Men
I hope Columbia doesn't screw up the proper aspect ratio for those movies filmed in the widescreen process like they did "Cowboy". I just watched a widescreen presentation of "The Violent Men" last week on Turner Classic Movies channel and it was in need of some work.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#5 of 50 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,153 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 04:29 AM

Curious as to what kind of bonus materials they'd have for the film. The previous bare-bones DVD was a rare "blind-buy" for me that paid off in spades-- I picked it up based on Brooks' and the cast's reputation and was really pleased.

#6 of 50 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,470 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 04:55 AM

Forgot to mention the other western from Columbia on April 5 - apparently their Silverado CE Giftset (2 discs, Movie Scrapbook and Silverado Playing Cards) will also have a DTS track, plus 'a never-before-seen featurette with interviews from the cast and the filmmakers!'
Film Journal Blog

#7 of 50 ONLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 811 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 08:02 AM

Good news indeed, but - honestly - I'm also still hoping Columbia will eventually release the classics directed by Budd Boetticher, all starring Randolph Scott.

#8 of 50 OFFLINE   Karl F

Karl F

Stunt Coordinator

• 103 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 08:10 AM

Yeah! Especially The Tall T. --K

#9 of 50 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,090 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 10:35 AM

Excellent news re: Jubal Posted Image A great overlooked Western.

I'll probably double dip on The Professionals though it's kind of a weird choice as there was nothing wrong with the original release.

I'm also hoping for the Boetticher/Scott titles to show up & yes bring on The Tall T - please.
Death before Streaming!

#10 of 50 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 11:50 AM

I couldn't agree more. I absolutely LOVE The Tall T. It has an attitiude all of it's own. It has to be one of the most intelligent and fatalistic Westerns ever made. The exchanges of dialogue between Randolph Scott and Richard Boone are just amazing. Like Mann's extraordinary, Man from the West, it was way ahead of it's time as a pre-Spaghetti-era Western. There are hardly any Boetticher films on DVD, it's so frustrating. Columbia own: Buchanan Rides Alone Decision at Sundown Ride Lonesome Comanche Station The best of the rest: Horizons West (Universal) The Man from the Alamo (Universal) Seven Men from Now (Warner) Westbound (Warner) The Man from the Alamo is available in the UK from Universal with a decent transfer. Sorry for getting off topic! I feel that Columbia should have done a SE of The Professionals the first time around. It's a great Western and the transfer was superb. Heaven knows why they decided now, after the fact, that it deserves extra features (not that that it doesn't, although most of the cast and crew are dead). I'm not sure what we'll get from Columbia, but I have read that it was a fun shoot, with Strode and Marvin getting up to all kinds of shit. But I won't spoil any anecdotes!

#11 of 50 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 01:34 PM

What are the other westerns coming on Aug. 5th, I didn't see them mentioned in this thread despite the title? As for "The Professionals", being a huge fan of American westerns, this is one I haven't seen, though the cover art posted for the upcoming Special Edition makes it look incredibly cheesy.. From what I've read online after clicking the above link, it seems to have been very well recieved and even nominated for some academy awards so I guess this is definitely one to keep an eye out for despite the corny marketing as depicted on the cover art!

#12 of 50 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,686 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 24 2005 - 02:22 PM

Yeah, you can't judge a book (or a good movie) by its coverPosted Image

#13 of 50 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,661 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 05:21 PM

Great news! These'll be on my shopping list for sure:

JUBAL (if OAR is respected, that is)
TEXAS
LUST FOR GOLD

Maybe I'll double-dip on THE PROFESSIONALS, too, if the extras on the new edition really are special. The film itself certainly is.

Count me in for more Boetticher on R1 DVD, especially THE TALL T and RIDE LONESOME.

Unless things have changed, I thought Paramount was going to release SEVEN MEN FROM NOW on DVD in 2005, possibly as soon as this May, as it is one of the "Batjac" titles Paramount acquired from the Wayne estate, along with THE HIGH & THE MIGHTY, MCLINTOCK!, HONDO, ISLAND IN THE SKY, TRACK OF THE CAT, etc.

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#14 of 50 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,405 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 24 2005 - 07:35 PM

Great news about The Professionals. Yet another time when my limited budget has saved me from a future double-dip. Posted Image

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#15 of 50 OFFLINE   Derek Estes

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 08:00 PM

I just bought The Professionals two weeks ago...oh wellPosted Image
Helen: Jim! How do you live?
Jim: I steal...

#16 of 50 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,784 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 25 2005 - 03:26 AM

They were all mentioned between a couple of different posts, but here's the full list so it's all in one place:
  • The Professionals
  • Bonanza Town
  • The Desperadoes (1943)
  • A Good Day For A Hanging
  • Jubal
  • Lust For Gold
  • Silverado
  • Texas
  • The Texican
  • The Violent Men

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#17 of 50 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,784 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 25 2005 - 03:30 AM

Here's the feature list for The Professionals: Special Edition:
  • Full Screen Presentation
  • Languages: English (5.1, 3.0 / LCR)
  • Subtitles: English, French
  • Featurette: "Professionals" - A Classic
  • Featurette: Burt Lancaster: A Portrait
  • Featurette: Memories from "The Professionals"
  • Bonus Previews
  • MSRP: $19.94
You read it here first! Posted Image
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#18 of 50 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,784 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 25 2005 - 03:31 AM

And here's the official feature list for the new Silverado, which is listed as a Superbit title:
  • Widescreen Presentation
  • Languages: English (5.1 / DTS), French
  • Subtitles: English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Korean, Thai
  • Exclusive New Featurette: A Return to Silverado with Kevin Costner
  • Along the Silverado Trail: A Western Historians Commentary
  • Superbit Presentation
  • Top Western Shootouts Featurette
  • Talent Files
  • Bonus Previews
  • Exclusive Scrapbooklet
  • Collectible Silverado Playing Cards
  • MSRP: $19.94 (pretty good for a 2-disc set with premium goodies included!)

#19 of 50 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,470 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 03:40 AM

Full screen? Either that's wrong, or Columbia have misplaced their marbles... (BTW, Marco it's April 5)
Film Journal Blog

#20 of 50 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,784 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 25 2005 - 03:56 AM

Good point. I have an email in to Sony, and I'll report back what they say.