Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF Review: The Village (Recommended)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 of 84 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted January 09 2005 - 11:50 AM

Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#2 of 84 OFFLINE   Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter

• 1,495 posts

Posted January 09 2005 - 01:27 PM

Just thought I'd toss out David that you've come an amazing distance as a reviewer, from a well-spoken and written enthusiast to someone with a truly professional style and system. Outstanding review. As for the movie, I missed it in theaters, so I'll definitely be picking it up to see what was about. I do have to ask, though, when you were talking about Shyamalan's films, what happened to Unbreakable?

#3 of 84 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,695 posts

Posted January 09 2005 - 02:02 PM

Very good review David. Although I consider it the weakest of Shyamalan's efforts (my favourite remains Unbreakable), it is still a decent film and Bryce Dallas Howard is fantastic in it. I will be picking this up on Tuesday.Posted Image
Recently watched- Burn Notice: Season 5, Riddick, The Chronicles Of Riddick, The Postman, The Hunger, April Love, Summer Lovers, Journey To The Center Of The Earth(1959), The Bounty, Mississippi Burning, The Wolf Of Wall Street, First Men In The Moon, The Jewel Of The Nile, Romancing The Stone, They Live, Into The Storm, John Wick, Finding Nemo 3D

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 3, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 4, Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season 1, Game Of Thrones: Season 2, Heroes: Season 2, The Pacific, Burn Notice: Season 6, Battlestar Galactica: The Definitive Collection, The Walking Dead: Season 5

"You keep what you kill."

#4 of 84 OFFLINE   ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter

• 1,657 posts

Posted January 09 2005 - 02:12 PM

Nice review, I feel it is his weakest outing, my favorite may be Unbreakable. Despite my disappointment in the movie, I feel that Bryce Dallas Howard gave perhaps the finest leading actress performance of the year. I may pick this up.

#5 of 84 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,777 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 09 2005 - 02:19 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie but HATED the ending as much as I loved the rest of the movie. Hopefully when I rewatch it (and know the ending) it won't bother me as muchPosted Image

#6 of 84 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted January 09 2005 - 02:41 PM

Travis,

I agree that the ending leaves a bit to be desired...it felt somewhat forced and somewhat rushed...and just lacked the elegance of the rest of the film.

Regarding Unbreakable...I've never seen it and and don't remember ever getting a screener for it (February 2004 release date?). Knowing how much I like The Village and Signs...do you all suggest that I'd enjoy it? If so, I'd consider purchasing it and doing a disc review as well...

-dave Posted Image

#7 of 84 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,777 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 09 2005 - 02:48 PM

My personal Shyamalan movie is Unbreakable as well. Although I feel that his best work as a director is The Village. David- I think that anyone that liked The Village and Signs will definitely enjoy Unbreakable. Maybe someone can come up with a spoiler free synopsis of the movie for you. I'd do it but I'm sure there's a ton of people who can describe better than I ever would. And Unbreakable came out in early to mid 2001 on DVD.

#8 of 84 OFFLINE   Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter

• 1,683 posts
  • LocationNYC Area

Posted January 09 2005 - 04:04 PM

Unbreakable is a must if you enjoyed The Village and Signs. It's a great DVD release coupled with a stellar film.

#9 of 84 OFFLINE   Romier S

Romier S

Producer

• 3,533 posts

Posted January 09 2005 - 05:09 PM

You must. Immediately. I'm also of the mind that it is M. Knight's best work.

#10 of 84 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted January 09 2005 - 09:28 PM

Nice review. I thought this was a bad film, not as bad as some critics made it out to be, but bad nonetheless. One problem was that the whole film seemed to have relied on the suprises (which were predictable) - there wasn't much else going for it. The dialog was terrible and the whole film could've easily been shortened by 30 minutes - as it felt like alot of it was filler. I look forward to seeing more from Bryce Dallas Howard, even though she doesn't give a convincing performance as a blind person (there were times I thought another twist was that her character could see - she just wasn't believable). The way M. Night made his cameo had me rolling my eyes. How self-important can one director be? I'd recommend renting this stinker first, if only for the cinematography from the amazing Roger Deakins.

#11 of 84 OFFLINE   Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,662 posts

Posted January 09 2005 - 09:43 PM

Mark me down as being one who feels Unbreakable is his best film. I went in knowing absolutely nothing and was rivited the entire time. I also agree with David's spoiler comments. i felt the final 30m could have been edited better so as to provide more impact. -paul

#12 of 84 OFFLINE   Hans M.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted January 10 2005 - 12:29 AM

David's going to have to revise this review after seeing Unbreakable. Beyond it being better than The Village, by many's standards, his review also makes no mention of it whatsoever. Before writing any review (I write music reviews for several publications) I always research the artists' discography, the same should be done for any director's filmography, especially the younger ones like M. Night Shyamalan.

#13 of 84 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted January 10 2005 - 12:35 AM

Hans, very true, and if I get a chance to see Unbreakable soon enough I'm sure my review will modify slightly...but do remember that the main objective is picture, sound, and extras in HTF reviews (technical details)...the "movie review" is an added bonus and one reason why I make no attempt to "score" the actual film as I do picture and sound...(ie, this isn't a review about "The Village", it's a review about The Village *DVD*) -dave

#14 of 84 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,653 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted January 10 2005 - 01:53 AM

i have a copy to watch today. i'm sure the dvd is a terrific dvd in terms of video and sound. the movie itself, not so much. saw it last year because i look forward to his movies. sixth sense #1 then unbreakable for me. i was very disapointed in the village. good idea but was poorly exacuted. the reveal came too early. then it was the wrong "secret". i would have preferred a different direction then the one they went to. the film was marketed wrong, but i can almost give a pass on that because it is hard to sell this film without giving much away. howard roaming through the woods seemed to go on forever.
facebook.com/whotony

#15 of 84 OFFLINE   Ian Currie

Ian Currie

Stunt Coordinator

• 65 posts

Posted January 10 2005 - 02:23 AM

David, Excellent review. You're at the top of your game here. I can't express how much I enjoy and look forward to your reviews. You cover every aspect (especially AV quality) thoroughly, and I know exactly what to expect when I get the DVD in my hands. Very much appreciated. I hope you don't tire of doing this! And as for Unbreakable: In my humble opinion, it was his worst film. While I was entertained, the ending was so abrupt, it felt like he merely ran out of time... and didn't make any sense for me.
Ian Currie

#16 of 84 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted January 10 2005 - 02:29 AM

"the reveal came too early."

Agreed.

that moment in the shed could have been saved for a flash-back later in the film to keep our fear-level higher during the woods scene.

Still liked the movie though Posted Image

#17 of 84 OFFLINE   Reagan

Reagan

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted January 10 2005 - 02:57 AM

David, Great review and you must see Unbreakable - it's my 9th on my all time favorite movie list. Get ready to be disappointed by PQ on the DVD though. EE so thick it looks like it was drawn on by a kid with a crayon. Glad to see that the Village fares much better in that department. -Reagan
The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.

#18 of 84 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,285 posts

Posted January 10 2005 - 03:03 AM

I agree, Unbreakable is Shyamalan’s best work, a truly marvelous film. With Signs falling in 2nd, The Village comes in a close 3rd. I've got a big movie night planned with 3 other couples for Saturday and none of them have seen this yet. Thanks for the excellent review David!
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#19 of 84 OFFLINE   Robert_eb

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor

• 967 posts

Posted January 10 2005 - 03:15 AM

Isn't the village his fourth film? 1. The Sixth Sense 2. Unbreakable 3. Signs 4. The Village

#20 of 84 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,653 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted January 10 2005 - 03:17 AM

it is his 6th film he directed. 2. Wide Awake 1. Praying With Anger if you count the films he wrote a screenplay, you can add stuart little.
facebook.com/whotony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users