-

Photo

HD-DVD Titles Announced for 4th Qtr Release-

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
529 replies to this topic

#1 of 530 OFFLINE   Spero D

Spero D

Second Unit

• 490 posts

Posted January 06 2005 - 04:39 PM

Posted by amillians-

Warner/New Line/HBO/etc. just announced 52 HD-DVD titles for release Q4 '05:

http://www.tmcnet.co...Jan/1106003.htm

ABOVE THE LAW
ALEXANDER
ANGELS IN AMERICA (HBO)
AUSTIN POWERS: INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY (NEW LINE)
BATMAN BEGINS
BLADE (NEW LINE)
CATWOMAN
CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY
CONSTANTINE
CONTACT
DARK CITY (NEW LINE)
THE DUKES OF HAZZARD
ERASER
EXECUTIVE DECISION
FINAL DESTINATION (NEW LINE)
FRIDAY (NEW LINE)
FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON (HBO)
THE FUGITIVE
GOTHIKA
HARD TO KILL
HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE
HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS
HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN
HOUSE OF WAX (2005)
THE LAST SAMURAI
THE MASK (NEW LINE)
THE MATRIX
THE MATRIX RELOADED
THE MATRIX REVOLUTIONS
MAVERICK
MILLION DOLLAR BABY
THE MUSIC MAN
MYSTIC RIVER
NEXT OF KIN
NORTH BY NORTHWEST
OCEAN'S ELEVEN
OCEAN'S TWELVE
PASSENGER 57
THE PERFECT STORM
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (2004)
THE PLAYER (NEW LINE)
THE POLAR EXPRESS
RED PLANET
RUSH HOUR (NEW LINE)
SE7EN (NEW LINE)
SOLDIER
THE SOPRANOS (HBO)
SPAWN (NEW LINE)
SWORDFISH
TROY
UNDER SIEGE
U.S. MARSHALS
WILD WILD WEST

Paramount just announced 21 HD-DVD titles for Q4 '05:

http://www.mysan.de/...ticle21498.html

THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE
SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS
ELIZABETHTOWN
COACH CARTER
ITALIAN JOB
SCHOOL OF ROCK
SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW
FORREST GUMP
BRAVEHEART
GHOST
GREASE
MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 2
BLACK RAIN
SAVE THE LAST DANCE
SLEEPY HOLLOW
U2 RATTLE & HUM
VANILLA SKY
LARA CROFT: TOMB RAIDER
STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT
WE WERE SOLDIERS

Universal just announced 16 HD-DVD titles, likely for Q1 '06:

http://www.prnewswir....2774126&EDATE=

THE BOURNE SUPREMACY
THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK
VAN HELSING
APOLLO 13
U-571
12 MONKEYS
DUNE
THE THING
END OF DAYS
BACKDRAFT
WATERWORLD
THE BONE COLLECTOR
SPY GAME
PITCH BLACK
CONAN THE BARBARIAN
DANTE'S PEAK

It begins Posted Image Can't wait.

Update 5 February-

Quote:
"Hollywood to sell HD DVD titles for US$19-29

TOKYO - Warner Bros Inc, Paramount Pictures Corp and Universal Studios will likely start selling HD DVD movie titles in Japan and the US in October for 2,000 yen to 3,000 yen (US$19-29).

The three major Hollywood movie studios, which back the HD DVD format, had already announced their plans to release a total of 89 HD DVD movie titles in the two nations. Most of these are expected to hit the market this year.

The generous pricing, which will put the differential between the HD DVD software and conventional DVD movie titles at no more than 1,000 yen, is believed to be aimed at aiding in HD DVD's fight against the rival Blu-ray Disc format. The HD DVD standard is being pushed by Toshiba Corp and others, while a separate group led by Sony Corp is rallying behind Blu-ray.

Thomas Lesinski, president of Paramount Pictures Worldwide Home Entertainment, said the differential between his company's HD DVD and conventional DVD movie titles would likely be around US$5-10. Since the firm's DVD movie software sells between US$15 and US$20, HD DVD titles will likely retail for 20-US$30.

Warner Bros and Universal Studios have yet to announce any decisions on pricing of HD DVD software, but their prices are expected to be in line with Paramount's. "

#2 of 530 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted January 06 2005 - 05:02 PM

I promised myself I would wait 2 or 3 years for this. However, I just bought a new HDTV and just got HD Cable ---- and I know it's going to be SO tough to hold off looking at some of these titles. Posted Image

#3 of 530 OFFLINE   Spero D

Spero D

Second Unit

• 490 posts

Posted January 06 2005 - 05:04 PM

Dave I know what you mean. Now all I have to do is decide when to sell of my current DVDs titles that are mentioned in the list above Posted Image

Spero D.

#4 of 530 OFFLINE   Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted January 06 2005 - 05:13 PM

THE DUKES OF HAZZARD
The tv series, or some upcoming movie adaptation?

#5 of 530 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted January 06 2005 - 05:20 PM

However, if the Cinram replicator statements are correct these mostly may be on those oh so wonderful DVD-9/HD-DVD-15 hybrid discs.

I don't know about you, but 15 GB is not enough for optimal HD video or audio. Especially not enticing since players will be around $1,000 to start. For that much I want the best. Period.

I'll wait to see what Blu-Ray counters with. I'm sure it'll be interesting to see the "can you top this" game! Posted Image

#6 of 530 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,471 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted January 06 2005 - 05:40 PM

North By Northwest?

I wonder if this means Warner had Lowry Digital re-do their restoration. Their first restoration still looks wonderful, but looking at it today... it still has a touch too much fading.

While I have no idea if the color timing is actually correct (given that the source apparently had fading), this is what looks correct to me:

DVD:
Posted Image

Corrected(?):
Posted Image

It looks a lot like the problem with Lawrence of Arabia's original Limited Edition. Pink sand and pink skies.

#7 of 530 OFFLINE   Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted January 06 2005 - 05:51 PM

Quote:
DUNE

Are we looking at the reason that the Dune: Collector's Edition was delayed?

Also... no Lord of the Rings upgrade from New Line? You'd think they'd be putting that on shelves in the first run...

Oh, well. Not too many titles on that list that I'll be getting, so HD-DVD is looking uninteresting to me until at least next summer. That list better grow a heck of a lot longer fast if they intend to entice people -- I mean a few hundred titles before year's end before I'm going to even start thinking about getting an HD player.

Quote:
I'll wait to see what Blu-Ray counters with. I'm sure it'll be interesting to see the "can you top this" game!

Ditto.

#8 of 530 OFFLINE   Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,703 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted January 06 2005 - 06:09 PM

Wow. That's a nice list. Quite a few that I would be willing to re-buy if I had a player. But I probably won't pay more than 150 for it with my current income. Of course, by the time these things hit, my income should be significantly higher.

#9 of 530 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted January 06 2005 - 06:13 PM

Titles should be the least of your worries. How about video and audio quality? True 1080p? Lossless or uncompressed audio?

HD-DVD doesn't look all that hot spec. wise if they're using only 15 GB single layered discs right out of the gate. At the very, very least Blu-Ray starts at 25 GB on a single layer and they have the newest MPEG-4 AVC High Profile codec to use (supposedly at least visually meets D-5 tape quality at 16 Megabits/sec average bitrates for 1080p/24 content... you can't do that and lossless audio on a 15 GB HD-DVD). HD-DVD has not ratified usage of the HP version of MPEG-4, which also seemed to beat Microsoft's regular VC-1 codec in comparison tests given similar bitrates.

Dan

#10 of 530 OFFLINE   Spero D

Spero D

Second Unit

• 490 posts

Posted January 06 2005 - 06:35 PM

Quote:
Titles should be the least of your worries.

I like your enthusiasm Dan for Blu-Ray but I disagree with this comment. Without content there is no format. I believe that the format that is 1st out onto the market with large content support will win. I agree with you about getting the best picture and lossless sound and also hope Blu-Ray will win. However that won't stop me from buying a HD-DVD player and titles come September-December and the same goes for Blu-Ray.

#11 of 530 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted January 06 2005 - 09:22 PM

That's an impressive list of titles.

Se7en and The Player are the only titles that I'm interested in myself, but there are alot of big titles that are aimed at the mainstream - which is a smart move.

Looks like some of those titles will be released simultaneously with their DVD debut as well (ie. Batman Begins). Very smart to give the consumer the opportunity to purchase a debut title on HD-DVD without forcing them to purchase the DVD first.

#12 of 530 OFFLINE   John H Ross

John H Ross

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted January 06 2005 - 11:03 PM

I'm assuming these will all be "bare bones" releases to be followed by inevitable SE's at a later date?

Any idea on the cost of each film? $30? $40

John

#13 of 530 OFFLINE   Paul Strilka

Paul Strilka

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 12:02 AM

I would assume most of us here have some high end components.
I was watching DVD's this holiday break on a HD 50inch Samsung Plasma. I'm using a Denon 3910 with SDI into an Iscan that pushes it out 1280x768. I can't imagine the image getting much better.
Will the difference in quality be worth the extra $20 per disc? Don't sell your collection just yet. Wait and see.

#14 of 530 OFFLINE   Phil L

Phil L

Supporting Actor

• 784 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 12:16 AM

Quote:
I don't know about you, but 15 GB is not enough for optimal HD video or audio. Especially not enticing since players will be around $1,000 to start. For that much I want the best. Period.

Would someone need a set-top box or could I go the HTPC route for these discs?

#15 of 530 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,902 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 12:45 AM

I would easily plop down $1000
to get into HD-DVD by year's end.

The problem? Dual formats.

It is just disgusting that the
industry could not agree on just
one format, and as a result, are
going to prevent early adopters
like myself from investing in a
new format that requires having
to buy two players.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#16 of 530 OFFLINE   Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor

• 882 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 12:50 AM

Amen to what Ron says.
Government in action = Government inaction

#17 of 530 OFFLINE   Martin Jeeves

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor

• 699 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 12:53 AM

I bet "THE PERFECT STORM" will look awesome in HD on a big screen!Posted Image
M.J.

#18 of 530 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 01:06 AM

Amen, Ron.

I'd buy a $1k HD DVD player right now if I knew that there was only 1 format.

#19 of 530 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted January 07 2005 - 01:09 AM

I agree with what Ron says.....with two formats fighting it out, I'm going to wait and see who wins...besides, if they follow the same pattern that DVD did, these titles will likely be bare bones and the picture quality will be adequate for now followed by future special, superbit, ultimate, extreme editions to make us buy them over and over again as the format matures.

It took me 2 years to adopt DVD....I expect it will take at least that long - perhaps even longer - to accept the new format....whoever wins.
Recently watched- Lost: Season 5, I Am Legend, Krull, The Beast Within, Subspecies, Lost: Season 4, District 9, Lost: Season 3, The Warrior's Way, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Godzilla 3D, The Walking Dead: Season 4, Lost: Season 2, Dracula(1979), Lost: Season 1, True Grit(2010), Tales From The Crypt: Season 1

Currently watching- Planet Earth, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3, Lost: Season 6, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2

"I can help! I can save you! I can save everybody!"

#20 of 530 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,623 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 07 2005 - 01:10 AM

It is just disgusting that the
industry could not agree on just
one format, and as a result, are
going to prevent early adopters
like myself from investing in a
new format that requires having
to buy two players.

Same here for me. I bought my first dvd player during the summer of 1997, but I'm going to sit out this format war until a winner or some kind of resolution has been declared.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow