What's new

DVI and Conponent both on? (1 Viewer)

BillyH

Stunt Coordinator
If I pick up a Direct TV HDTV rec., are there any units on the market where I can use BOTH the DVI(Or HDMI) at the same time so I can see the same HighDef program on two tvs? I know I can buy a conponent splitter amplifier and sent a signal out to multiple HD sets but that may degrade the signal and if the digital down rezzing BS comes about I will not be covered. Any ideas? I was at BB tonight and saw a Samsung that had DVI out and conponent out. Also it had two composite outs and an S out. I asume those are for 480i. If these are included can I presume that along with a digital out for high def I can get a downrezzed 480i signal to old analog TVs at the same time? With that in mind, would also an analog output like a conponent out also be active at 720p/1080i at that same time as a DVI? What do you guys think, any ideas?

BillyH

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, me again. I see in my haste I neglected to complete my first sentence. (Big head, small brain) I mean, any Receivers that alow both a conponent and a digital output at that same time.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Concerning the Direct TV HD box, I have never seen one that had both DVI and HDMI outputs. I would assume you could do what you ask as long as so far as splitting the signal, but don't know if the receiver would allow that.

I think the Samsung you are referring to is the upscaling DVD HD841 since the HD941 only has HDMI out. Yes, you could hook the composite or S-video out to a plain old analog TV and get 480i from those connections as well as getting the Hi-Res from the component or DVI connections. You would however have to switch the player from DVI/Pscan to Iscan mode each time you wanted to watch from Hi-Res to 480i. The Sammy's remote let's you do this on the fly though; of course you cannot use both the composite and S-video at the same time. It is either one or the other. Keep in mind that you will get 480p from the component and depending on the TV, the DVI connection will give you 480p, 720p, 768p or 1080i. My RCA will only support 480p and 1080i from my Samsung 841 and I usually use the 1080i setting. At one time I had both the component and DVI connections going from the Sammy to my RCA which has one DVI and two component connections. I preferred the DVI connection and freed up one of my component connections for my Gateway DVD recorder. I have had really good luck with the Samsung player and recommend it although most people on this board would not.:) BTW-The Samsung will also play SACD discs and DVD-Audio and plays them both very well.:b

BillyH

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Chuck, that pretty much answered my question. So you say the Samsung will put out only 480P with conponent. I have a 4 year old Sony VPLW10HT that only does conponent. Any suggestions on a Satellite High DEF REC? I would realy hate to only get DVD quality out of the old girl, esp. after holding off this long. Yep, no digital inputs at all. I thought the dec. to downrez analog HD signals was still being fought. Wait, are you refering to an upscaling DVD player and not a HD receiver? I have a perfectly good Sony putting out 480P DVDs but I want my HD both analog and at least 720P/1080i. My original question was a hypothetical about if I were to add an RPTV upstairs. Of course then I would have a fully compatable digital connection. AND THEN, I wanted to run HD from the rec to the Sonys conponents downstairs and to the digital connection(what ever type that may be) to the RPTV upstairs and was wondering how much misery that would entail. Hopefully both would have full HD output and at the same time, otherwise I would forever be switching the outputs on the rec. See what I mean? Take care, Billy PS- Sometimes it realy bites to be an early adopter, huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks