What's new

is it really worth it to get stb for hdtv yet?? (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
there are so many different boxes that all seem to do so many different features it seems like an awful lot of trouble and money to spend for 1 network of OTA HD programming(CBS).
and only 2 or 3 dbs channels. one of which is only a demo channel so its not even a real channel.
i keep trying to talk myself into getting one for my tv. i have a tosh 56x81. but i just cant seem to do it. plus it still seems like too much money to spend for only a couple channels.
i really have no interest in hbo or showtime as i try to watch all my movies on dvd or at the movies because i refuse to watch anything chopped off to fit my screen. so i wouldnt want to subscribe to hbo or showtime just to watch 1 channel of hi def. and i could be wrong but is it true those channels dont even broadcast in widescreen format most of the time?
so someone talk me into it please because maybe i'm missing something and i really would love to watch tv with the best picture possible.
it just doesnt seem like it is such a big deal yet.

David Judah

Screenwriter
The only reason to get one now, IMO, is if your area is offering some OTA HD(more than one station).
I'm waiting because here in Albuquerque the local stations haven't started broadcasting yet. Our PBS station and CBS station are supposed to start in a few months, but I'm going to wait until the other stations are onboard as well.
DJ
[Edited last by David Judah on August 27, 2001 at 11:05 PM]

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Aston Pa, appears to be just outside of Philly. As far as I know, Philly is among the top 5 areas of the country for OTA HD.
Seek out someone in your area that can show you a HD PBS demo called "Visions of Italy". Bring a napkin because you will probably wind up drooling all over the floor. Perhaps a barf bag because the helicopter shots (basically the whole demo) will have you feel like you are flying.
Do you like college football? Go to Sears on a Saturday and check out the CBS college game of the week. Watching Lemuix playing the Rangers late last season (cablevison) is a HD moment I'll always remember. Watching the Devils in HD up to the cup finals (cablevision) was great as well. On & on...
As far as a stb goes, for Direct you have multiple choices as you said. Dishnetwork only offers the 6000 at this time.
Seriously, if you need to be talked into HD, then you just don't get it. There are plenty of people around the country who are crying for what is right under your nose.

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
David,
I don't have any OTA HDTV yet, but I can get 6 HDTV channells on Satellite. I very much think it is worth it. I wouldn't have missed the HD Cubs game for anything.
Kevin C. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
yes its true we do seem to have many stations hear near philly that are hi def capable but when i look up to see what is actually broadcast in hd it is only cbs, pbs demos and nypd blue on abc. so it seems there still aren't alot of over the air.
oh and leno but i wouldnt watch him unless you paid me.
you can look up what is being aired in hd on this web site www.titantv.com. you can do this for any city/area.
this site lists 5 channels now braodcasting digital but only a few shows in hd.
so is a digital broadcast diferent then a hd broadcast?
[Edited last by TonyD on August 28, 2001 at 12:31 AM]

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I think it depends on whether the HD programming available in your area is of interest to you and at what price point you feel comfortable entering the world of HDTV. I finally purchased a STB a few weeks ago. In my case, college football this fall on CBS and a good price point on the STB (Samsung OTA-only, $414 delivered after rebate) was the deciding factor. I have watched a few of CBS's prime time shows to see what they look like in HD, but prime time network TV is not my cup of tea. On the other hand, PBS has a few interesting HD shows.
FYI, I do not have a satellite system, but there are 6 local channels in my area broadcasting a digital TV signal. This includes the local affiliates for Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS, UPN and PBS.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well thanks mike i. you have convinced me to go out and buy a box for hdtv in my home.
rolleyes.gif

i was actually hoping for more detailed replies though. so when i do make a purchase i know what to buy and what is compatable for my tv. :)
------------------
"who needs padding when you can have quality over quantity? more isn't always better." just my 2 cents on post count padders.-----

VicRuiz

Second Unit
I'm not sure what it is that you want to hear. The above posters have told you the bottom line: It depends on what your preferences are and the channels available in your area. There's nothing more to it. With Philly being one of the top HD markets in the country and the confirmed increase in HD shows by the networks this fall, this decision should be a no brainer!
Just so you have some point of reference look at my situation. I'm very happy with my HDTV viewing. I get to watch shows I like in HD almost every night, movies that look ten times better than the DVD, and local and national sporting events. Is all this not worth $300-$400 for a STB and maybe $20-$25 a month for a DBS subscription? It certainly is to me.
------------------
Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I have a Pioneer Elite 610HD since January. It's a DVD monitor right now -- still haven't taken the plunge into a STB for HDTV yet. Regular cable TV ranges from "not too bad" to "horrible" in quality when viewed on this 58" RPTV.
I'm in range of Pittsburgh, which as of now only has CBS, ABC, and NBC broadcasting digitally. PBS is supposed to be on October 1 per titantv.com. FOX next year.
Here's a question: How good do digital (non-HD) broadcasts from local stations generally look? Is the video quality significantly better than what I can get from cable (not very good)? Is it comparable to DVD? Even just getting a much-improved signal from local channels for sports, etc., would be a big plus.
If I had to get a setup today I'd probably be leaning towards the Dish 6000, at which point I'd scrap the cable. How good will Dish DBS look on my set?

David Judah

Screenwriter
Yes, Kevin, I have a funny feeling that once I get the Mits HD TV I'm buying next month, a Mits SRHD-500 will follow soon after. I probably won't be able to hold out either. This hobby is fun, isn't it? :)
DJ

Brian Mello

Stunt Coordinator
Here's a question: How good do digital (non-HD) broadcasts from local stations generally look? Is the video quality significantly better than what I can get from cable (not very good)? Is it comparable to DVD?
For the most part, depending on your local affiliates, it is much better than Cable and Satellite!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok i'm basically convinced but a few more questions i have.
my main interest is ota so not as much for dbs but if i should decide to go with dbs hd who is more committed to future programming directv or dish network.
i need to keep some contact to directv because who knows if profootball will ever be obtainable on any other system.
and what is the best or most compatable for my tv tosh 56x81.i need to know by friday as some coupons i have expire then.
thanks everyone.
------------------
"who needs padding when you can have quality over quantity? more isn't always better." just my 2 cents on post count padders.-----

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Currently Dish network is more committed to HDTV and provides much more content...I have the Dish 6000 hd receiver and tosh 56x81 and it is very compatable with each other..The 6000 is probably the most versatile HD box currently on the market..
If Dish does end up buying out Direct tv, the issue over Dish not having the NFL sunday ticket will go away...No one can say for sure what will happen for sure when Direct tv is sold..
------------------

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
thanks mike it looks like the way to go is the dish 6000. now if anyone knows if sears pricematches and accepts competitors coupons i'm in business. anyone?
------------------

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well i just read something about opentv for dish6000 not being available for 6000 but for a new stb coming out or already out? so now this goes back to my first post about so many diferrent boxes and features that it is impossable to choose which one to buy.

Mike I

Supporting Actor
The dish 6000 is still the only box available from dish network and will not be changed for at least another year..Dish also has the dish 6023 package which includes the dish 6000 and ota 8vsb module, but it is the same box..
------------------

errol

Stunt Coordinator
Hi TonyD,
It is a bit overwhelming isn't it? =)
But look at it this way, if you go back a year or so ago, there really was only one game in town: the DTC-100. Now, a few months later, the long awaited release of the STBs from various manufacturers are out. The consumer now has a wider selection to choose from.
Choosing one, however, is a personal decision. Only you can decide which one best meets your viewing requirements.
Thanks,
Errol
------------------
Keohi HDTV
Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well if anyone cares i went to my local dish net store to by th dish 6023 system buit a small problem was they dont carry the ota module. i would have to go to their website to buy it. well i went home first to check the price and it was a good one $99 with a rebate for shipping fees. but the were out of stock. so i check some other etailers. they all charge sinif more plus s&h fees. as much as 150 plus s&h. so i guess i'm still waiting.
anyone have a place to buy ota module for dish hd for good price?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well with the recent announcements from abc and cbs for more ota hd programming it does seem worth it to by a stb.
so now i need to buy one. i'm sure that someone has posted a list of good online retailers for buying these things so i'll do a search to check. but if anyone wants to post a list here don't let me stop you.
wink.gif

------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks