Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Region-free DVD player as main unit

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   StevenA

StevenA

Second Unit

• 350 posts

Posted December 22 2004 - 02:49 PM

After numerous seaches (both here, other forums and Google), I still can't determine whether there's an all-region capable player that is solid and reliable enough to replace my current player, and to be used as my only DVD player for NTSC discs also.

The Philips 642 sounds decent, but then there's the option of paying more for a Momitsu, a Cambridge Audio, a Denon, etc., which I don't mind doing to get a better product.

The main things I need are:

Flawless Pal-NTSC conversion
Excellent NTSC video quality
Good anamorphic downconversion

Any ideas?

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Chris_Liberti

Chris_Liberti

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted December 23 2004 - 10:10 AM

denon 2910 and then download the region free firmware.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,583 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted December 23 2004 - 12:31 PM

The Cambridge is region-free out of the box, does flawless PAL<>NTSC conversion and has a superb analogue output for CD and DVD-A. It is not equipped with DVI, however, and I'm not sure what you mean by anamorphic downconversion (I'm more of an audio guy).
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   StevenA

StevenA

Second Unit

• 350 posts

Posted December 24 2004 - 05:26 AM

Anamorphic downconversion being the process used to display anamorphic/16:9 images on a conventional 4:3 display, which I am stuck with for the time being, unfortunately Posted Image

Thanks for the recommendations, guys.

I have heard good things about both, and am especially drawn to the Denon 2910.

Chris, I have read through the thread on the firmware update, but am a little confused. Is there any risk involved, and does doing this break the warranty?

Also, I have read that only a few all-region players can handle PAL-NTSC conversion correctly (can't remember exactly what the problem is with the way certain players handle it.) Does the Denon (and the Cambridge Audio, for that matter) do a "true" Pal-NTSC conversion?

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,583 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted December 24 2004 - 09:53 AM

I can't speak to the Denon, but I have the Cambridge and I have a few PAL discs. They look and sound fine on my TV (analogue CRT). As for anamorphic downconversion, while my TV has what I call a 16x9 "cheat" (Sony WEGA), I've use it in the conventional manner and widescreen anamorphic films look fine, with everything in proper proportion.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.