What's new

Region-free DVD player as main unit (1 Viewer)

StevenA

Second Unit
After numerous seaches (both here, other forums and Google), I still can't determine whether there's an all-region capable player that is solid and reliable enough to replace my current player, and to be used as my only DVD player for NTSC discs also.

The Philips 642 sounds decent, but then there's the option of paying more for a Momitsu, a Cambridge Audio, a Denon, etc., which I don't mind doing to get a better product.

The main things I need are:

Flawless Pal-NTSC conversion
Excellent NTSC video quality
Good anamorphic downconversion

Any ideas?

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
The Cambridge is region-free out of the box, does flawless PALNTSC conversion and has a superb analogue output for CD and DVD-A. It is not equipped with DVI, however, and I'm not sure what you mean by anamorphic downconversion (I'm more of an audio guy).

StevenA

Second Unit
Anamorphic downconversion being the process used to display anamorphic/16:9 images on a conventional 4:3 display, which I am stuck with for the time being, unfortunately :frowning:

Thanks for the recommendations, guys.

I have heard good things about both, and am especially drawn to the Denon 2910.

Chris, I have read through the thread on the firmware update, but am a little confused. Is there any risk involved, and does doing this break the warranty?

Also, I have read that only a few all-region players can handle PAL-NTSC conversion correctly (can't remember exactly what the problem is with the way certain players handle it.) Does the Denon (and the Cambridge Audio, for that matter) do a "true" Pal-NTSC conversion?

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I can't speak to the Denon, but I have the Cambridge and I have a few PAL discs. They look and sound fine on my TV (analogue CRT). As for anamorphic downconversion, while my TV has what I call a 16x9 "cheat" (Sony WEGA), I've use it in the conventional manner and widescreen anamorphic films look fine, with everything in proper proportion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks