Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New Soundtrack to Tour of Duty Season Two!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 Adam T

Adam T

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted November 09 2004 - 01:46 AM

According to TVShowsonDVD.com Columbia not only dropped the price of the second season but it now says on the cover art "TOUR OF DUTY features a new music soundtrack including popular songs from the Vietnam era!" Does this mean some of the music will find its way to the DVD and does it include the opening title song "Paint it Black"? (Not holding my breath)

#2 of 11 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted November 09 2004 - 03:12 PM

Sounds like the exact opposite to me, i.e. the original songs will be dropped, and replaced by other songs "from the Vietnam era". Sigh.

Don't you "love" marketing? Making it sound like having a "new soundtrack" is a good thing, when it's nothing but.

#3 of 11 Steven_Kale

Steven_Kale

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted November 09 2004 - 05:30 PM

Well, this is Columbia after all, the same compay that won't fork over the money for the damned theme song to Dawson's Creek! How expensive is ONE song?

#4 of 11 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,382 posts

Posted November 09 2004 - 09:52 PM

Quote:
How expensive is ONE song?
More than you would think. WAY more. You should read through the Married...with Children - Season 3 thread where the similar situation with that Columbia property is being discussed. Neither Gord nor I discuss the actual dollar amount there for the "Love & Marriage" theme song that is being yanked from that release, but you can get an impression of how big the amount is by reading our posts.

In my first post in that thread - the 40th post on the 2nd page - I predicted that Columbia would try to spin the change positive. I believe the wording on the back of the Tour of Duty - Season 2 box bears out my prophecy, because they'll do the same thing for MwC-S3. Here's what I said:

I don't find the "the music change will be noted on the packaging" argument as acceptable for not using the theme.
My biggest criticism of Columbia in this situation, beyond the understandable disappointment in the music change, is that Columbia will probably dress it up with wording like "Contains Exciting New Theme Music!", which will confuse the average purchaser and hide the actual fact to them that they are the ones ultimately getting screwed in this deal.
My proposed wording for MwC-S3 is scarily close to what is actually on the back of the ToD-S2 box! Posted Image

Worse, Adam T's reaction represents what I meant in that many consumers won't understand that this is NOT a good thing. On the other hand, what's Columbia supposed to do? Put wording on the box that discourages buyers from getting the set? Nah, their stockholders might have a problem with that.

Adam T, if I recall correctly, Paint It Black wasn't on the first season of ToD, so expect it to be a victim of changes on S2 as well.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#5 of 11 Steven_Kale

Steven_Kale

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 11:48 AM

I didn't realize the same thing was being done with the "Married with Children" theme.

Talk about ridiculous. Even if it is expensive, I think studios should at least purchase the theme songs of these shows. If it means cranking up the price a bit, it would be worth it, and I'm sure most consumers wouldn't mind

#6 of 11 Dan*T

Dan*T

Supporting Actor

• 525 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 03:45 PM

I agree that the whole music rights thing really sucks. Especially for us enthusiasts. However, with T.O.D. being one of my favorite shows, I am very happy that it has been released on DVD and will continue to collect it even if the music is screwed up.
I checked my tapes from the original broadcasts, and Paint it Black was used on the second season, and I believe even the third.
Dan T.

#7 of 11 Adam T

Adam T

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted November 11 2004 - 02:22 AM

Quote:
Adam T's reaction represents what I meant in that many consumers won't understand that this is NOT a good thing.

Dave when I read the news that there would be a "new music soundtrack" released with TOD season two, I was suspicious and confused.

How could a company that has already released a product that did not have to what some consider an “important part of the show”, all of a sudden add a "new music soundtrack "?

When I first saw the news I had, for a brief second, the thought of maybe the theme song. But it can't because it was never released with the first. I still bought the first season knowing "paint it black" would not be there and was fine with it. I also knew along with many others who bought the set that there was little chance of it ever being put on.

Your 100% right Dave, when you say Columbia is misleading their costumers when they put something like "New Music" on the packaging so they could sell sets.

My question, when I created this thread was, what the hell is going on and what are they doing?

#8 of 11 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,073 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted November 11 2004 - 02:17 PM

Quote:
Even if it is expensive, I think studios should at least purchase the theme songs of these shows.

I'm making a total guess here, but from what Dave has hinted at I would venture to say that the Love & Marriage song would have cost Columbia somewhere between $250,000-$750,000 - and that's a minimum. I wouldn't be surprised if it was even in the several millions.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#9 of 11 LorenzoL

LorenzoL

Second Unit

• 313 posts

Posted November 12 2004 - 05:38 AM

The worst part was that recently I saw a commercial of a videogame (a first person shooter based on the Vietnam War) using the song "Paint it Black".

At first I thought it was a commercial for Tour of Duty but then I realized it was a videogame.

#10 of 11 Steven_Kale

Steven_Kale

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted November 12 2004 - 08:19 AM

Here's a question-The first 2 seasons of Dawson's Creek on DVD included the original theme song, but for Seasons 3 and 4, the song wasn't used.

Do you think this is a case of the company just being cheap?

It seems like they're being cheap to me because the song was used in the first two seasons.

Hell, ALL of the original songs were used in Season 1, then with season 2 they kept the theme but changed over half of the music, and with Season 3 they dropped the theme song and changed even MORE of the music.

The impression I get is that many of these studios are just greedy, and want to put as little effort into these releases as possible.

#11 of 11 Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,375 posts

Posted November 12 2004 - 12:42 PM

As has been said before, music rights are a tricky thing. No two TV releases are alike.

I know that Dawson had the same problem as Married with Children. The price for the theme song went up considerably for seasons 3 and beyond.

I do however also have a sneaking suspicion that the budgets over at Columbia are set a lot lower than at other studios. Probably in the hopes of selling more copies they seem to be trying to keep the SRP as low as possible, and quality suffers as a result (lower disc count etc.)

Also, I find it strange that Columbia shows seem to be marred by necessary music replacements more often than shows from the other big studios (exceptions, such as Roswell, apply).
I still wonder how much of the Dawson music could have been saved had they set the SRP at the same level as comparable shows from others, i.e. 60 bucks instead of 50.

But I'm just guessing here. I can't really know what's going on behind the scenes (although I would love to). And I'm pretty sure not being able to give us "the perfect product" must be very frustrating for the people working on the DVDs. However, they're not the ones who set the budgets.

Chris

Forum Nav Content I Follow