Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF Review: Van Helsing

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#1 of 147 OFFLINE   Jason Perez

Jason Perez

Second Unit

• 310 posts

Posted October 13 2004 - 01:46 AM

Padawan Learner in the Mystical Art of Home Theater!

Display Tweaked to Perfection by Calibrator Extraordinaire Gregg Loewen!

#2 of 147 OFFLINE   David Galindo

David Galindo

Screenwriter

• 1,264 posts

Posted October 13 2004 - 01:58 AM

I hate Universal's choices of which movie gets DTS tracks. This would be an instant buy if it had one. I love Alan Silvestri’s score, and its nice you mentioned it- it really made the movie! Great review!

#3 of 147 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,246 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted October 13 2004 - 02:28 AM

I thought this was a lot of fun. No, it's not as good as The Mummy, but remember how much that one got slagged by critics when it first came out; the same critics were singing its praises in comparison to VH, which tells me that their memories are failing them in some sense.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#4 of 147 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted October 13 2004 - 02:40 AM

Jason, I wholeheartedly agree with your review of the movie, and somewhat on your takes of Sommers' Mummy films. I actually enjoyed The Mummy Returns much more than The Mummy, but The Mummy is still a decent movie, and much better than Van Helsing. If a sequel is made, I will hold out hope that it will be much better written than its predecessor. Even so, I still might watch this again and see if I can enjoy it, seeing as I know what to expect this time around. Watching a movie for the second time has changed my opinion of several films, and I hope it will be the case here. Thanks for the review!

#5 of 147 OFFLINE   DustinPizarro

DustinPizarro

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted October 13 2004 - 03:04 AM

Great review Jason! You pretty much summed up my feelings on the movie. I had such high hopes for this one especially during the opening scene at Frakenstein's castle but by the end of the movie I was so disappointed. It just got worse and worse as the movie rolled on. I've waited so long to see these classic Universal monsters revamped but they were just completely mishandled. I hope the filmmakers are not seriously thinking of a sequel. Needles to say, I'm skipping this one but I might rent it just to give my system a sonic workout.

#6 of 147 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,760 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted October 13 2004 - 03:42 AM

I enjoyed the film for what it was, a deliriously silly summer blockbuster. Over here we have the choice of a 1 or 2-disc version, I bought the 2-disc on monday, plenty of extras to peruse, but it seems like they're delaying the 2-disc R1 for next year, looks like Universal wants the R1 fans to buy it twice, not very nice is it?

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

My DVD and Blu-ray Blog

#7 of 147 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,947 posts

Posted October 13 2004 - 04:10 AM

I was really looking forward to this film in the theater. I am a big Hugh Jackman fan. the film started good, but the leads have the same problems over and over with the same solutions that went on forever and eventually for very boring. Too bad. I heard if this film did well there would be a Van Helsing 2 and 3. I hope this doesn't happen. I'd like to see Hugh Jackman do better things where he can really act.

#8 of 147 OFFLINE   Keith M.

Keith M.

Second Unit

• 489 posts

Posted October 13 2004 - 04:17 AM

Could someone enlighten me on the different versions that will be available next Tuesday... Thanks in advance...

#9 of 147 OFFLINE   John_McKittrick

John_McKittrick

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts

Posted October 13 2004 - 05:53 AM

I'll just get the one disk.
Long Live XBox and DVD!!

#10 of 147 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,909 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted October 13 2004 - 06:03 AM

I believe in the US (R1), we get:

- Single disc version (WS or FS), with the film and a couple extras, but basically bare-bones.

- Three-disc collectors version with both WS and FS versions of the film, lots of extras (probably similar to or same as the R2 disc 2), and a third disc with the classic "Dracula," "Frankenstein," and "Wolf Man" films from the 1930's.

Anyone who bought the Legacy editions of the Classic Monster films earlier this year, and wants the "Van Helsing" bonus features, really gets shafted because they have to pay a premium to get the second disc but already have all the films on the third disc ($15 coaster anyone?).

So you can have bare bones, or pay for a lot of extra stuff you probably already have. No happy medium unless you import from R2. Typical Universal nonsense! Posted Image
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#11 of 147 OFFLINE   Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted October 13 2004 - 06:12 AM

How can you attack Universal for putting DTS on Meet the Parents? DTS is not action movies only. Anything that improves sound for any movie is worth it, if it by chance made Meet the Parents a little more engrossing then by all means. Really, why is DTS considered for action movies only?

#12 of 147 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted October 13 2004 - 06:16 AM

"The biggest problem is that Sommers appears to be following in the footsteps of George Lucas, whose recent films are all about style over substance." The Mummy begs, borrows, and steals from Lucas' Raiders of the Lost Ark...if I were to compare Van Helsing to another movie, it would be Hook...i.e., a giddy, jokey, yet bloated and unconvincing production of a fun idea.

#13 of 147 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,573 posts

Posted October 13 2004 - 06:19 AM

Think they'll finally get the audio right on Dracula?
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#14 of 147 OFFLINE   Jason Smalley

Jason Smalley

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted October 13 2004 - 07:05 AM

I don't believe it was a case of "Van Helsing" instead of "Meet the Parents." It seemed to me that it was in addition to.

Especially since Universal has taken the rather unfriendly approach of ensuring a double-dip later on with a second disc of extras and the quasi-obligitory DTS track for the reissue.

Just my thoughts.

#15 of 147 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Executive Producer

• 10,060 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 13 2004 - 08:33 AM

Well, maybe it was my low expectations, but I quite enjoyed this one. Sure, it was silly, but it was fun!
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#16 of 147 OFFLINE   Matt Goddard

Matt Goddard

Stunt Coordinator

• 174 posts

Posted October 13 2004 - 10:05 AM

I've been trying to figure this out since Van Helsing was announced on DVD. Doesn't the inclusion of the three classic films make the Ultimate Edition a no-brainer, assuming you're interested in the feature presentation? Although it may be sans extras, that third disc seems to be a bargain for $40 or whatever the Ultimate Edition winds up being. Incidentally, I agree that Van Helsing was very disappointing. However, my review to others was that while the movie sucked, I was sure it would make an awesome DVD. It's interesting how this addiction shapes our movie reviews.

#17 of 147 OFFLINE   Jim Barg

Jim Barg

Second Unit

• 395 posts

Posted October 13 2004 - 10:50 AM

After seeing the film last May, I thought it was a waste of a bulletproof idea. That said, there's still a part of me that wants a sequel, if only to see the filmmakers try to get it right. Do they deserve it? No. But odds are since the film did well overseas and probably will sell well on DVD, Van Helsing 2 will probably get made anyway. As for the DVDs, I might look into the 3-disc since I don't own any of the Legacy sets. We'll see...

#18 of 147 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,909 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted October 13 2004 - 11:09 AM

When you've already paid $60 or more for the Legends collections that came out last spring, it's just superfluous padding that's driving up the cost of what should be a reasonably priced 2-disc set of "Van Helsing."
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#19 of 147 OFFLINE   AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted October 13 2004 - 12:09 PM

Quick Question: Has Universal finally at the very least made the trailers that appear when you put the disc in skippable? If so, I might consider a rent, but otherwise, I don't know why I should put up with crap like forced trailers for a movie that people have said is only so-so.

#20 of 147 OFFLINE   Mark Oates

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted October 13 2004 - 12:17 PM

Something pretty frickin' bizarre going on at the moment. According to Universal's PR company, the three-disc Ultimate Collector's Edition has been pulled, but I know at least one online retailer who reckons they have the UCE in stock and ready to ship. Posted Image
J Mark Oates
Do Not Be Afraid. That sound is simply my mind boggling.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DVD Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users