What's new

where's the love for The Wire? (1 Viewer)

RobertW

Supporting Actor
the first season comes out today, and i haven't seen anyone discussing it. who's picking this one up?

shaniceMW

Stunt Coordinator
i'm getting it!!! the wire is my favorite show. from episode 3 season 1. then when they showed the marathon, i was hooked!

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent show, but I'll wait awhile, probably get 1 and 2 at the same time (as I did 6FU). Still have to get Oz 1-3 (and by the time I do, 4) 'one of these days'.

I don't have many friends watching The Wire- they watch Sopranos and 6FU but let Wire pass them by- the sets will make great 'loaners' someday.

The new tie-in book is great, too- a must for fans...

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
The Wire is a great show, and a shitty DVD set.

I can't help but feel that HBO rapes their customers every time they release a DVD set. 13 episodes for $100 SRP is a lot, so you'd think they would want to include a lot of bonus material so fans feel as though they're getting something for their money. Nope, all they include are 3 lame commentaries. I haven't seen any improvement from HBO since they started releasing TV shows on DVD.

Gord

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
I'd rather pay $100 (or $70 from Amazon) for 13 episodes of The Wire than pay $10 for 26 episodes of most other shows being sold on DVD.

Ryan

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
I've got to agree with Gord on HBO raping its customers with the price of its DVD sets. The only HBO sets that I am currently buying are the Sopranos. I would love to sample some other titles such as Six Feet Under and Oz, but I won't pay those prices. I now have dozens of TV on DVD titles and generally the price per hour of entertainment is between $2.00 and $4.00 when bought at a discount retailer such as Amazon. HBO is charging approximately $5.00 to $7.00 per hour with no extras to speak of.

HBO shows are usually of a pretty high caliper, but so are many of the Fox and WB titles. There is simply no excuse for this kind of gouging, and until their prices come down, I for one won't be buying their stuff.

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
I totally agree about the outrageous pricing for HBO's dvd sets, but in the case of the Wire, I had to have it and the greed factor that is HBO be damned. (Besides I had $55.00 in Best Buy Reward Zone Coupons saved up for this very Purchase):D I mean C'mon' y'all, the scene where Omar is strolling down the way with 12 gauge in hand whistling that eerie tune while the local grassroots are scattering for cover is just "balls to the wall" classic

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I picked the setup blind after reading the glowing reviews. I never really checked the show out on HBO, and since it's not a show that you can really come into in the middle of the season, I felt like the time was right to check it out. Watched the first episode last night-enjoyed it a lot.

I just hope they put Deadwood out soon. I really wanted to watch it but missed the firts part of the season.

Lou_Toth

Auditioning
I too have been waiting for some chatter about The Wire, which IMO, is the BEST show on TV. I do however agree that the price is too high, given the lack of special features in the set. It would be nice to see some behind the scenes stuff, or maybe a "tour" of the areas where the show is shot.
I like the third season a lot too.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
On Tuesday I did a search for The Wire and found nothing.

I too am surprised that there has not been more metion of this show. I absolutely raved about this show when it came on. It is an A+ spectacular show. Anyway, I did pick this one up on Tuesday. Walmart had it for $66.50 and Circuit City price matched it. So $66 for the show isn't that bad. If I would have had to pay Circuit City's sale price of $94.99 I would have definately passed.

I do agree that HBO is totally screwing people with these prices. I would probably become a fan of some of their other shows if they would lower the damn prices!

I want to buy seasons of OZ and 6ft Under but am not going to pay these outrageous prices. Heck, one of my favorite shows ever, The Sopranos,I only own season 1 and 2 because of the price.

HBO really needs to wake up and realize that there would be a lot more sales and a lot more people becoming fans of their shows if they would make prices reasonable.

I mean I just bought another spectacular show Boomtown not too long ago for only $30. That was one of the best $30 I have ever spent for dvd's. If I break that into a dollar per hour ratio, hmmmm $1.66 per hour for IMO one of the best shows ever made. Not $7.69 per for like HBO prices.

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
Yo Man/Woman! I think we as dvd collectors/fanatics, should unionized and start dictatin'/demandin' reasonable prices to the likes of HBO and its' ilk. VIVA LA REVOLUTION!:D

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
Over $100 (after taxes, in Canada) for one season of a TV show quieted down my urgency to get it. Thats way to much cash (for me). The same does for my lack of collecting The Sopranos unfortunately.
If it ever goes down in price I'll jump all over it, but not at this price point.

Well this price point is what makes netflix so valuable! My main beef with HBO isn't their high prices (not that I'm excited about them though) but their horribly long release lags. They stay at least a season behind on dvd, which means that a new viewer can't catch up prior to the start of the new season. Why they can't figure out that if new viewers had a chance to watch BOTH season 1 and 2 of a show like the Wire prior to the start of season 3, then maybe they'd get HBO.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Todd, sounds like they're taking that approach for season 4. I almost flipped over in my chair when I read that the second season of The Wire would be out in early 2005. It makes sense that we would see season 3 out before season 4.

Gord

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks