What's new

Do you think there's a market for a ht retail gallery? (1 Viewer)

Al Spencer

Auditioning
I'm contemplating opening a retail gallery showroom store geared toward ht decor and design. This would be similar to htmarket.com and other on-line stores. It would showcase several different lines of ht seating, semi-custom and custom cabinetry and furnishings as well as ht accessories (soda machines, lighted movie poster frames, popcorn machines, etc.). It would also feature an interior design service that would design and implement ht's at multiple levels (do-it-yourself to entry to high end).
I'm currently doing my research for the business proposal and the feasibility of opening such a store. Does anyone know of other such retail stores or where to search for other information (demographics, revenues, etc.)? What are your thoughts? I appreciate your help/input.

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator
I think you would do well, I see Home Theatres published in magazines, etc that talk about where it was done, etc. I am sure there are some weathly, or not so weathly people that want certain things like chairs, screens, posters, etc.

I see a lot more HT recliner/chairs around lately, like in the Furniture stores, etc So you may have something going for you there. I would definitely go to your store if there was one and see what you had!!

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I personally think that it would go over well. I am not sure who to send you to for business information regarding HT interiors, etc. I am sure you will get some feedback from those that do.

Good luck with your idea.

Parker

shaniceMW

Stunt Coordinator
where would it be located? if in the dc metro area, you would have a large market. most model homes around here feature home theaters and ht interior design is very sought after.

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Are you talking about a "real", physical "bricks and mortar" type of thing, or a "virtual" store, i.e. internet only?

There's a place for both.

Personally, I tend to go to B&M stores for interior design items, because I want to see/touch/feel/smell. Same for loudspeakers... certainly want to listen first. For more commodity-type items, I usually tend to go straght to the cheapest (reputable) internet source, eliminating any middlemen.

Gerry S

Stunt Coordinator
There are a few of these types of stores in the Metro Atlanta area.

One is geared more towards audio/video, with furnishing, design and acoustic treatment services as well.

Another I can think of is a furniture store that has three demo theaters in the store. They have a subsidiary of the furniture store that does basement remodels, theaters, etc.

Finally, Dennis Erksine is opening a showroom in metro Atlanta feturing his Design services. I believe he offers plans for DIY, as well as handling all phases of construction for upscale theaters.

Some food for thought, how about adding other items to your business model. Perhaps some of those hard to get construction supplies such as GOM fabric, acoustic treatments (bass traps, etc.) sound isolation products, and lighting controls.

Al Spencer

Auditioning
Dave-
This would be a physical gallery showroom with several media rooms and home theater rooms showcased including the a dedicated theater that showcase the high end theater this would have a facade "exterior" with ticketbooth that would open into a lobby with concession stand and then culminate with leading into the theater.
There would also be furniture groupings in the main showroom which would also include examples of the semi-custom and custom cabinetry and furniture that would be available.

Gerry-
My plans for this store would be much like an interior design store in which I would carry capeting samples, fabrics for wall treatments and acoustic panels, as well as for curtains for the stage to hide the screen.
The lighting is a good idea but I want to kind of stay away from the hardware and installation of the equipment. I am hoping that this store would work in conjunction with rather than a competitor to the custom A/V electronics firms in town, as well as to local home builders that are involved in new construction and home additions.

Sean C

Auditioning
Hi Al

I think this sounds like a GREAT idea...I would definitely visit your store. Would you be carrying multiple lines of home theater seating ie Lazyboy, Berkline, etc. Something like this would save a lot of time...as it is, I have had to drive all over town to look at different lines b/c each dealer only seems to carry one line, maybe two at the max.
Anyway, I think a specialty store like this could really have some potential.

Nick P

Second Unit
I think this is probably the best way to go. You could find a well established, well known installer who wants to offer decor items but can't stock such merchandise and form some type of working relationship or maybe even a partnership.

Al Spencer

Auditioning
Sean,

Yes, I would carry multiple lines such as those you mentioned and others (higher end names like Cinema Lounger, etc.). Thank you everyone that has responded so far. Feel free to put your two cents in; it would help me a lot. Suggestions and input would be great and most appreciated.

Al

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Visiting is nice, but you actually have to buy something for it to succeed. ;-) The challenge I see with this model is that it's still a niche market from the perspective HT accoutrements. The other challenge is that this stuff is still ridiculously expensive even online. Factor in physical overhead and it's tough to keep pace. You would have a distinct advantage with locals, however, who can see before they buy and avoid shipping costs.

A key in helping you succeed would be co-marketing agreement with select electronics stores. They tell their customers about you. You tell yours about them. And offer special promotional pricing for referals where they purchased gear from participating stores.

Mitch N

Stunt Coordinator
HT's, pre-wired homes, in-wall speakers, and more are all things that people are requesting in their newly built homes. Or the builder is offering them as upgrades. On top of that, people on their 2nd or third home are getting dedicated HT rooms now that they can afford a larger home and have an extra room or two.

I think a business like this can only do good. Of course the market changes every 18 months, and you will probably have to adjust accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks