-

Photo

Resident Evil Deluxe edition ???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Bolivar G

Bolivar G

Second Unit

• 318 posts

Posted September 05 2004 - 01:01 PM

Is this just a repackage for the upcoming new movie or is it a new transfer??? Havent heard to much about this new release.
Just wondering what the differces are going to be.

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

• 1,348 posts

Posted September 05 2004 - 01:41 PM

The audio and video seem identical to the first release. There's now a second commentary track with director Paul W.S. Anderson and the visual effects supervisor. There are also a bunch of new making-of featurettes and an alternate ending (separate from the movie). A nearly half-hour making-of documentary has been dropped from the previous DVD and a music video, but the additions make the new release a worthwhile upgrade for the extras.

Ace online reviewer and HTF member Colin Jacobson has an excellent review comparing the two here:

http://dvdmg.com/res...vildeluxe.shtml
Randy A. Salas
DVD Columnist & Feature Writer
Minneapolis Star Tribune daily newspaper

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Lev-S

Lev-S

Second Unit

• 324 posts

Posted September 05 2004 - 01:46 PM

It's a repackage, DD5.1 (no DTS),

"New to this DVD edition of the film is a commentary from director Paul Anderson and visual effects supervisor Richard Yurisich, the effects supervisor having been the supervisor on such films as "2001", "Blade Runner", "Close Encounters" and, more recently, "Mission: Impossible". The commentary is very informative, if a little dry at times: we learn a great deal about the various aspects of the effects shots and the various sets. The track is very informative and there's a few good stories about issues the production ran into, as well.

Continuing the new material included on this release, viewers will find a new featurette regarding storyboarding the movie, as well as a new group of brief pieces (The Creature, The Elevator, The Laser, The Train, Zombie Dogs).

Director Paul Anderson discusses an alternate ending that was partially done, but never completed. Essentially, it ended the film on something of an up note, but never felt right and never quite worked as the action moment it was intended to be.

We also get a clip from the upcoming sequel and filmographies.

Despite the fact that it was not available with my review copy, retailers list that retail copies of this deluxe edition will include a "movie money" coupon for a ticket to see the sequel, "Resident Evil: Apocalypse", which hits theaters this Fall."

dvdtalk.com
My DVDs

Homer: So, Mr. Malloy, it seems that the cat has been caught by the very person who was trying to catch him.
Skinner: How ironic.

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   Bolivar G

Bolivar G

Second Unit

• 318 posts

Posted September 05 2004 - 02:19 PM

Thank for the info much appreciated.
Think I'll hold on to my current copy if its the same transfer. I'm trying to cut down on my double dipping.

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   Rolando

Rolando

Screenwriter

• 1,318 posts

Posted September 05 2004 - 02:27 PM

So everything from the first release did not get ported over? Man CTHE sucks. How hard is it for the next edition to just have all so we can upgrade and at leat dimish cost a bit bit selling old one.

I guess they want to make sure sure the freaks have 2 copies (or 3 with superbit) or each of their films.
Rolando Avendano

My Collection

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted September 05 2004 - 07:53 PM

Well, I personally still expect a DC out sometime late, perhaps for a trilogy box set or something like that.

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Chris_Marin

Chris_Marin

Stunt Coordinator

• 172 posts

Posted September 06 2004 - 10:31 AM

We've got a detailed comparison review of tomorrow's release of the Resident Evil Deluxe Edition vs the current US and UK Special Editions here.

Quote:
Snippet:
I thought Resident Evil was a great little, relatively low budget, zombie movie with a big-budget look and a fantastic central heroine in Milla Jovovich. The three versions here have identical transfers and audio track quality, so the decision has to come down to whether or not you want the extra features. Still, it is not quite as simple as ‘this is the definitive version’ because the new Deluxe Edition turns out to be a mixture of new stuff and re-hashed old stuff, with some elements even missing from the previous editions. It clearly has the edge, most notably because of the extra commentary, the alternate ending (one of the best I have ever come across – as per Blade) and the clip from the upcoming sequel, but still – is it worth a re-buy?

Personally, I would have happily bought two copies of Resident Evil and would be satisfied with the extras on the new version, and if you have to choose one, it should probably be the new definitive edition – but most will be content to stick to the Special Edition, be it region 1 or 2.

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   Bolivar G

Bolivar G

Second Unit

• 318 posts

Posted September 06 2004 - 02:31 PM

IS the deluxe Edtion going to come with movie cash?? That make it worth a double dip.

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   JasonKZ

JasonKZ

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted September 07 2004 - 12:00 AM

Yep. Comes with ticket to the new movie opening Friday. Unfortunately, I ordered with Star Trek Generations, so now my whole order is held up. Grrr....

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Michael Allred

Michael Allred

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted September 07 2004 - 06:54 AM

Quote:
retailers list that retail copies of this deluxe edition will include a "movie money" coupon for a ticket to see the sequel, "Resident Evil: Apocalypse", which hits theaters this Fall."

My copy did not come with any free ticket/movie cash. Nothing, nada, zip, zilch, a big fat 0. I got my copy from Best Buy.

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   Cory-C

Cory-C

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted September 07 2004 - 08:56 AM

My copy didn't come with any movie cash either. I too got my copy from Best Buy ... can someone help us w/ who we should contact about this?

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   Michael Allred

Michael Allred

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted September 07 2004 - 12:35 PM

I called Best Buy and they checked some other copies, none had the movie cash so they're calling the distributor about it.

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Rob T

Rob T

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted September 07 2004 - 01:40 PM

I got mine from HMV and it had the movie cash. Posted Image

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   BrandonJF

BrandonJF

Second Unit

• 436 posts

Posted September 07 2004 - 02:03 PM

I got mine at a Best Buy and it had the movie cash.

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Jon B NY

Jon B NY

Stunt Coordinator

• 180 posts

Posted September 07 2004 - 02:39 PM

When I went to Best Buy I noticed that half the copies there had a sticker advertising movie cash inside, and half of them didn't. Check the sticker on your packaging, because some of them listed special features, other stickers advertised movie cash inside. Maybe you should go back and ask for an exchange? Claim it's defective?

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   SteveCallas

SteveCallas

Second Unit

• 475 posts

Posted September 07 2004 - 05:18 PM

Yeah I had quite an experience today getting this dvd. First went to Best Buy and were going to have them price match Circit City, but none of Best Buy's had the sticker on them. So I decided to just go ahead and buy it from Circuit City, but they were completely sold out. Then I tried the mall stores and the only one that had the ticket was like $16.99. Reluctantly I tried Walmart (my Walmart is horrible with dvds) and sure enough they had plenty of them with the sticker and price they matched Circuit City.

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts

Posted September 07 2004 - 07:01 PM

I have my free movie ticket. I do wish they would have included the current trailer for the sequel on the Deluxe Edition DVD (I also reviewed the Deluxe Edition DVD)).
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   Bolivar G

Bolivar G

Second Unit

• 318 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 02:43 PM

I saw them at Best Buy. Some had the movie cash sticker and some didnt. So I guess you have to watch out for what you buy.

Forum Nav Content I Follow