What's new

aluminum vs steel for amp stand support poles. Any effect on the amp? (1 Viewer)

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
Would there be any audible advantage or disadvantage to using steel vs aluminum support poles on my audio rack which will hold my sherbourne 7/2100? I am planning on going with a Sanus euroEFABII base and EFASII shelves. I read somewhere about possible interference with steel poles and the tor transf. in the amp, is this true? Is steel O.K. to use for an amp/audio stand?

Yogi

Screenwriter
Steel, wood, concrete everything would be ok. There would be no audible effects whatsoever. Dont worry about it.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Some stands are "fillable". Meaning you can fill the tubes or bases (whatever) to make them have more mass, more rigid, more stable. Some claim on speaker stands it will enhance the sound. WE WON'T GET INTO THAT HERE.

You can use the afore mentioned sand, lead shot, gravel, M&M's, play-dough, ice cream. Ice cream is best because the cooling properties help keep the air around the amp cool. Hence the amp runs cooler.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
IC,
Since that is the case then id rather fill my stand with fully burned in Kingsford charcoal briquets since in general I prefer my amps to run on the hot side.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sand absorbs vibration giving a damping effect to the rack or stand. It doesn't "enhance" the sound of a speaker, IMO, just keeps the stand from resonating.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's relevant, what's wrong with discussing it here? As long as it doesn't turn into a cable debate...:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks