Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Invaders

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
823 replies to this topic

#1 of 824 OFFLINE   Chris Muermann

Chris Muermann

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted August 09 2004 - 10:43 AM

Does anybody know if the 1967/1968 series THE INVADERS will be released on a DVD box in the future ?
On EBay there are often VHS tapes for sale. Often the whole 43 episodes. I´m not sure if I should buy them or wait of a DVD release.

Best wishes,

CHRIS

#2 of 824 OFFLINE   Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted August 09 2004 - 10:52 AM

Bring on the DVDs!!!

#3 of 824 OFFLINE   Weston

Weston

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted August 09 2004 - 11:33 AM

^
Right On!!

#4 of 824 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted August 09 2004 - 04:47 PM

Posted Image

"How does a nightmare begin? For David Vincent, architect, returning home from a business trip, it begins at a few minutes past four on a lost Tuesday morning, looking for a shortcut which he never found. It began with a welcoming sign that gave hope of black coffee. It began with a closed, deserted diner, and a man too long without sleep to continue his journey. In the weeks to come, David Vincent would go back to how it all began...many times!"--Opening narration from the premiere episode of THE INVADERS (ABC-TV entitled "Beachhead" (10/01/1967) teleplay by George Eckstein from a submitted script by Anthony Wilson and directed by Joseph Sargent.

"Twenty-five years before THE X-FILES posited that aliens are already among us and up to no good. David Vincent began his lonely two-year quest to save the world. Alternately pursuer and pursued, openly unhappy about his role as a modern-day Paul Revere, and often pessimistic about his chances of success, Vincent proved a far more complex hero than 1960s television audiences were used to, and the perfect centerpiece of a SF series more downbeat and realistic than any that had preceded it. Using subterfuge to infiltrate human society, the aliens relied on humans' natural skepticism toward 'crackpots' like David Vincent to protect them from anyone who stumbled onto their existence and tried to blow the whistle on their invasion plan."--Stephen Bowie, SF Television Historian.

"It's an oft-repeated statement that KOLCHAK: THE NIGHT STALKER served as the inspiration for THE X-FILES, but Chris Carter's cult tv series owes a lot to Larry Cohen's 1967-68 series THE INVADERS. Carter should be thankful for THE INVADERS' mood, atmosphere, persistent paranoia, and not least, the alien conspiracies that abound in Earth's society without the knowledge of the general public. Although he's credited with creating the concept of the series, what's not so well known is that Cohen actually had no participation in the making of the series. Cohen left THE INVADERS in executive producer Quinn Martin's capable hands and departed, occupying himself with other projects. Martin's series focused on the life-changing events for architect David Vincent (actor Roy Thinnes), as he stumbled across the starkly cold and sober realization that extraterrestrial aliens were among us, and were preparing for an invasion of our planet. THE INVADERS lasted for two seasons and detailed the adventures of Vincent as he wandered throughout the United States, trying to penetrate the aliens' agenda on Earth. Frequently, he tried convincing important people that he's not crazy and that THE INVADERS are real and alive on the planet. Eventually, a group of 'believers' joined him in the crusade including a billionaire who helped on the financial side of things. But THE INVADERS went off the air, as many series do, without a resolution."--Frank Garcia, SF Television Historian.

"THE INVADERS was no kiddie SF outing like LOST IN SPACE. In fact, it was so unrelentingly serious, it made STAR TREK, which had a season's jump on THE INVADERS, look like CAPTAIN VIDEO. Where STAR TREK had fun amid its moralizing, THE INVADERS was a bleak, uncompromising examination of an obsessive hero trapped in a world-wide conspiracy. THE INVADERS was cancelled after two seasons. ABC-TV had a problem with it. It was too sophisticated for a SF show and too wild for the audience that enjoyed THE FUGITIVE."--Will Murray, Entertainment Media Writer and Interviewer, Author (DOC SAVAGE, THE SHADOW).

THE INVADERS! Did someone here mention THE INVADERS?

Ya! When are we going to see this superb, brilliant, exemplary, magnificent, fantastic, amazing and cool 1960s SF tv series masterpiece finally released on DVD?

Does making a request in this particular discussion forum really help any?

Anyhow you have my undying support.

Bring on THE INVADERS starring ROY THINNES!

"How does a nightmare end? Not here in the forgotten town of Kinney...perhaps in Bakersfield. Perhaps at some undiscovered beachhead in another state...or another continent. Perhaps for David Vincent it will never end!"--Closing narration from "Beachhead."

Jeff T.

#5 of 824 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,347 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 12:56 AM

Loved the show - though I found Thinnes to be a bit a cold fish. Ah the music, the throbbing sound effect, the glowing, yeah it brings back great memories...
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#6 of 824 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,648 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 04:34 AM

I want THE INVADERS on DVD so badly, I can taste it! Mmmmmmmm, martian-y... Posted Image

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#7 of 824 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 08:32 AM

Posted Image

"Alfred Ryder tired to convince me that he was really an alien. He stayed in character on the set. Roy Thinnes was rather quiet like David Janssen was from THE FUGITIVE. QM Productions has a thing for these good-looking brooding types. Roy was larger-than-life to me but acted down-to-earth something I didn't often experience with series stars".--Pat Cardi, Actor ("The Peacemaker").

Speaking of Roy Thinnes in the TV Guide magazine (dated the week of August lst - 07th, 2004) feature article "The 25 Top SF Legends" David Vincent (Roy Thinnes) placed an impressive sixth place.

Still a further testament to the series' well-deserved renown.

Jeff T.

#8 of 824 OFFLINE   john_hood

john_hood

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 09:14 AM

Bring on The Invaders and its communist invasion subtext. Loved the show Posted Image
A Star Trek convention? You could have told her it was the X-Men!
Online since 2001

#9 of 824 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted August 12 2004 - 09:01 AM

Well? Is there anyone on this discussion forum who can alert Paramount Pictures-Viacom International about the interest expressed here for a possible DVD release of THE INVADERS (ABC 1967-68) tv series starring Roy Thinnes?

While you're at it I'd also like to know just why THE INVADERS doesn't seem to be currently available as a tv syndication property in North America either.

Incidentally the original unaired extended version of THE INVADERS' pilot episode entitled "Beachhead" (10/01/1967) was actually 75 minutes in length and was publicly screened only once at the Museum of Modern Art's SF film retrospective in 1969.

Would it be possible for Paramount to include both the ABC-TV Primetime hour-long version of "Beachhead" and the unaired 75 minute version in such an INVADERS collection?

Jeff T.

#10 of 824 OFFLINE   Mark To

Mark To

Supporting Actor

• 574 posts

Posted August 12 2004 - 01:28 PM

I actually knew someone who knew a guy who had a copy of the 75 minute pilot. Unfortunately it was in the days before VHS so he had sold it before we could get it transfered. I always wondered if it really did exist but now this confirms it. Just wonder where it resides these days.

#11 of 824 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,992 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted August 13 2004 - 12:49 AM

Quote:
Would it be possible for Paramount to include both the ABC-TV Primetime hour-long version of "Beachhead" and the unaired 75 minute version in such an INVADERS collection?

Possible? Yes. Likely? No (this is Paramount we're talking about).

#12 of 824 OFFLINE   Mark To

Mark To

Supporting Actor

• 574 posts

Posted August 13 2004 - 03:54 AM

Because what are the chances that anyone involved in one of these releases knows about the existence of something like that. There was a thread I started a while back, asking why studios don't involve people who are experts on a given show. This is exactly the type of thing I was talking about. These people are not fans nor are they collectors. They don't know about things like unaired pilots and the like and by never looking beyond their four walls to seek out experts on a show, they never find out. That, plus the merger mania that has taken just about every syndicated show and put it under Paramount, leaves a company with 30+ year old and more product that they have no knowledge of whatsoever. What is someone at Paramount going to know about some show from the 60s that was syndicated by Worldvision or Republic for all of those years and that they just acquired a couple of years ago?

#13 of 824 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 01:36 AM

I'm certainly not one to put all my eggs in one basket and it's time to drum-up more support for a DVD release of THE INVADERS (ABC 1967-68) tv series starring (the incomparable) Roy Thinnes.

Once again the most important point is: WILL ANYONE HERE WHO HAS (ACTUAL) CONTACT WITH THE REPS AT PARAMOUNT PICTURES-VIACOM INTERNATIONAL TELEVISION ASK ABOUT THE CURRENT DISPOSITION OF THE INVADERS AS A TV SYNDICATION PROPERTY AND AS A POTENTIAL DVD RELEASE? PLEASE!

Otherwise what's the real good of lobbying for a particular tv series on this specific discussion forum? Who outside of the registered forum members here will even know about any of the requests and inquiries being made?

When it comes to some of the other tv series those who have (actual) contact with the company executive decision makers are certainly opinionated enough. Well it's high-time that somebody here also stood by and lent their support to THE INVADERS which is certainly one of the finest (and most popular) SF tv series ever produced.

Come on Paramount just what's the (infernal) holdup anyway?

And no this discussion thread isn't going to disappear either!

Jeff T.

#14 of 824 OFFLINE   Mark To

Mark To

Supporting Actor

• 574 posts

Posted September 09 2004 - 04:55 PM

I think this would do well as great SciFi always sells. However quality has little to do with releases. Paramount owns too much product. Honestly, while many of us love this show, do you really think that a company that is first getting around to putting out the Andy Griffith Show will be doing The Invaders any time soon? I want the show too but they haven't even done far more popular shows yet like the Brady Bunch, Mission Impossible, The Fugitive and many more. I feel we will see it someday but I'm afraid its going to be a long wait. Unless someone like Image or Shout Factory licenses it. You want to be proactive, contact them and see if you can drum up interest. If not, I have a feeling we'll be waiting a long time.

#15 of 824 OFFLINE   David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts

Posted September 10 2004 - 12:31 PM

I would like to see this show on DVD too. This show clearly had an influence on FIRST WAVE (another show I want to see on DVD).
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

#16 of 824 OFFLINE   Javier Gaminde

Javier Gaminde

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted September 11 2004 - 07:32 AM

The Invaders is certainly a must-have, not only for a sci-fan but for all those who appreciate a well written tv. show.

Scary at times (great fun!) but highly entertainment. Hope we don´t have to whait too long before it´s finally released.

#17 of 824 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted September 13 2004 - 09:05 AM

"I think this would do well as great SciFi always sells."--Mark To.

Here I am perpetuating a discussion thread initiated by someone else...but it's for a great cause!

Mark's observation (posted above) is precisely why Paramount Pictures-Viacom International Television should give priority consideration to a DVD release of THE INVADERS (ABC 1967-68) tv and not relegate it as just another tv property to be held in inventory for future consideration.

I'm sure that most (prospective) customers of a DVD collection of THE INVADERS wouldn't consider buying THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW (CBS 1960-68) so to indiscriminately lumping the two together and marketing them for a generic classic tv market would be poor judgement and THE INVADERS has to primarily be targeted at the enormous and lucrative SF market.

Whether there are other tv series in the Paramount Pictures television library for consideration is irrelevant and what really counts is the worldwide SF market out there that is primed and ready for such a momentuous DVD release.

So what's holding you up Paramount?

Also relying upon the Paramount Pictures executives to come to a decision about a DVD release of THE INVADERS may prove to be fruitless and a disappointment for the tv series' anxious fans. There's no proof that THE INVADERS is even currently under such consideration and this is precisely why the company has to be apprised of the interest in such a premium.

So I reiterate (once again) is there anyone here in this discussion forum that can contact Paramount and make some inquiries about the possibility of a DVD collection and its current status a tv syndication property?

Lastly, does making such DVD requests in The Home Theater Discussion Forum do any real good?

Jeff T.

#18 of 824 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted October 28 2004 - 01:10 AM

It's been reported that the current tv syndicated episodes of THE INVADERS (ABC 1967-68) starring Roy Thinnes airing in the U.K. now bear the Paramount Pictures - Viacom International Television logo instead of the previous Worldvision Enterprises trademark at the end of the segments (after the closing title credits) which is a strong indicator that Paramount has finally gotten around to distributing this classic 1960s SF tv series once again...at least abroad since the distribution company acquired this Quinn Martin produced television property in the late 1990s and hopefully Paramount Pictures will also commence making THE INVADERS available for the tv syndication market in North America (the U.S. and Canada) as well if not in a DVD release.

Contrary to previous reports the entire run of all 43 hour long colour episodes will be shown in the U.K. and in the wake of all this evidence that's now come to light it (certainly) doesn't sound like the SF tv series is being aired just to fulfill a previous outstanding contract with Worldvision Enterprises the former series copyright owner-distributor.

Jeff T.

#19 of 824 OFFLINE   Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

• 1,348 posts

Posted October 28 2004 - 08:01 AM

Quote:
hopefully Paramount Pictures will also commence making THE INVADERS available for the tv syndication market in North America (the U.S. and Canada) as well if not in a DVD release.

Paramount also now holds the syndication rights to Combat, for example, but that DVD came from Image with the masters provided by (I believe) Disney since it was an ABC show. There's no telling where the DVD will come from on some of these shows.
Randy A. Salas
DVD Columnist & Feature Writer
Minneapolis Star Tribune daily newspaper

#20 of 824 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,992 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted November 01 2004 - 01:23 AM

Quote:
hopefully Paramount Pictures will also commence making THE INVADERS available for the tv syndication market in North America (the U.S. and Canada) as well if not in a DVD release

Yeah, but will any of the US cable stations actually buy the show?

I'd love to see The Invaders and a lot of other old TV on the cable/satellite channels, but the programmers have (generally) gone to the dogs for the past 5-6 years. Stations that used to be havens for old TV (TBS, Sci-Fi Channel, USA Network, Family Channel, for example) are now almost exclusively airing content only from the 1990s on up. There is extreme prejudice against anything that programmers don't think will appeal to 18 year olds. That is why it seems over half of the cable stations, in addition to local independent stations, are airing Friends and Raymond reruns. Used to be that all these recent network shows only turned up on local independent stations. Now, people like TBS are getting in on the act, too.

I think we're more likely to see DVDs of The Invaders than reruns (unless it's on a small niche channel like Good Life which most people, satellite customers included, can't even receive.

Forum Nav Content I Follow