-Not Logged In-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

More Superbits Coming Oct. 26th

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 of 52 OFFLINE   Robert Franklin

Robert Franklin

Stunt Coordinator

• 154 posts

Posted July 27 2004 - 12:50 PM

For those of you who like Superbits such as I, according to davisdvd.com, The following titles will be available on Oct 26, 2004. Bad Boys II Cliffhanger Dr. Strangelove The Guns Of Navarone The Missing Once Upon A Time In Mexico S.W.A.T. Underworld Looks like I'm going to go broke on that day.

#2 of 52 OFFLINE   craig_curtis

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts
  • LocationGlen Ridge, NJ

Posted July 27 2004 - 01:00 PM

underworld. crap. i just double dipped and bought the new version.... since I have you here, is it really worth buying the superbits? is the quality THAT much better?
Signature? What signature?!

#3 of 52 OFFLINE   Gregory E

Gregory E

Second Unit

• 266 posts

Posted July 27 2004 - 01:18 PM

I'm just wondering which cut the Underworld Superbit will be. The theatrical or extended cut..... I'll probably buy it either way since I didn't pick up the other two.

#4 of 52 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted July 27 2004 - 01:36 PM

Damn, what about some of their older stuff like First Knight?
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#5 of 52 OFFLINE   David Galindo

David Galindo

• 1,264 posts

Posted July 27 2004 - 01:40 PM

Cliffhanger...what a nice surprise. Ill pick up that one for sure.

#6 of 52 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

• 4,798 posts

Posted July 27 2004 - 01:42 PM

I wonder if it'd be worth picking up the Dr. Strangelove SB even though I have the Kubrick set and the transfer looks pretty damn great... I wish every Superbit release would have the option of regular single disc and SB deluxe like The Patriot so that all the supplementals and/or commentary tracks could still be offered on the bonus disc. How's the current transfer on the Cliffhanger C.S.?

#7 of 52 OFFLINE   Jesse Blough

Jesse Blough

Second Unit

• 251 posts

Posted July 27 2004 - 01:50 PM

Crap, I just bought Once Upon a Time in Mexico last week... I'll only double-dip if the video and audio on the superbit is far superior.

#8 of 52 OFFLINE   Ryan Wong

Ryan Wong

Stunt Coordinator

• 134 posts

Posted July 27 2004 - 01:59 PM

No Hellboy?
Ryan Wong

#9 of 52 OFFLINE   Scott Burke

Scott Burke

Second Unit

• 458 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted July 27 2004 - 02:51 PM

I love superbit titles, but the video on Underworld is top notch already, and so is the audio. I wasted(and it was a waste) my money on the extended cut. I'm not buying the superbit. However, I might buy the swat dvd. The soundtrack just was not upto the experience I had in the theater. So if the DTS is right, I'll double dip.

#10 of 52 OFFLINE   Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor

• 902 posts

Posted July 27 2004 - 03:32 PM

Give it time. My guess will be spring/summer of next year.

#11 of 52 OFFLINE   Zachary Cohen

Zachary Cohen

Stunt Coordinator

• 115 posts

Posted July 27 2004 - 05:06 PM

Yeah, it was just released and already there has been a second edition announced. Sony would look ridiculous advertising a third version to come out just weeks after the second version. Not that they don't look ridiculous in the first place...

#12 of 52 OFFLINE   Haggai

• 3,883 posts

Posted July 27 2004 - 05:10 PM

I don't like the Strangelove transfer as it is now. Lots of hair and debris all over the picture. I've heard before that it was going to be a superbit, which surprised me because I didn't think they did that for old non-widescreen mono movies. But if the transfer improves on one of my all-time favorite films (the extras on the current SE are pretty cool), I'll probably double dip.

#13 of 52 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

• 4,042 posts

Posted July 27 2004 - 05:13 PM

I think Dr. Strangelove is supposed to look beat up.
My Collection

#14 of 52 OFFLINE   BrunnenMatt

• 40 posts

Posted July 27 2004 - 05:32 PM

Thanks Robert, Once Upon A Time In Mexico and Bad Boys II sounds good.

Hellboy SB will come out eventually, going by an interview I read by the director, not sure if he meant extended or Theatrical! What version is getting SB for Underworld?

Kumite (2007) is an action-packed story of courage, friendship, and redemption, set against the backdrop of the most brutal and elite fighting tournament in the world, The Kumite. Vic Latour (Jean-Claude Van Damme), the only westerner to ever win the Championship of the Kumite, returns to defend...

#15 of 52 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

• 3,530 posts

Posted July 27 2004 - 11:41 PM

Err... no it isn't. I have seen it a few times in 35mm and those prints were pristine with no hairs, scratches or excessive grain. The current transfer isn't that great. I have heard that the Japanese Superbit transfer is superb. Hopefully, the region 1 edition will also be of high quality. Dr Strangelove is one of the jewels in Columbia's crown and deserves a pristine, high bitrate transfer.

#16 of 52 OFFLINE   JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,794 posts

Posted July 28 2004 - 12:48 AM

Wow a Dr Strangelove SB Posted Image

#17 of 52 OFFLINE   Magnus T

Magnus T

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted July 28 2004 - 12:55 AM

Hopefully CHTV makes the right decision and releases Dr. Strangelove as a Superbit Deluxe. Who am I kidding... Posted Image
There is no spoon...
but there is a fork with a cork!

#18 of 52 OFFLINE   Grady Reid

Grady Reid

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts
  • LocationOlathe, KS

Posted July 28 2004 - 12:57 AM

Remeber when Criterion did their Spec. Ed. of Strangelove back in the early 90's? According to Maria Palazzola (a name familiar to any CC nut), it took them an unusual amount of time to get the transfer right. They originally did a transfer with a matted aspect ratio of 1.85:1. When Criterion sent it to Kubrick for his approval, he said that was wrong- and asked them to remove their mattes exposing his in-camera mattes. I remember how unusual that looked when I first saw it that way. But after seeing it another 100 times you forget they're there. I for one am quite happy with the current shape of the transfer. The current Spec. Ed. is quite crammed with extras. When Sony puts out their SB, I hope its the same director-approved transfer, just without the extras so it can "breathe" a little better. I also hope they don't monkey with the sound. Keep it mono. It's one of the great mono mixes I've ever heard. OK, I'm done.

#19 of 52 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

• 1,608 posts

Posted July 28 2004 - 12:58 AM

Strangelove could definitely use a remaster. They've been using the old (albeit Kubrick-approved) transfer for a while now. I was kind of surprised that Columbia didn't follow Warner's lead and restore it, especially since they went to the trouble of producing special edition content and including it in the Warner box set.
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#20 of 52 OFFLINE   Magnus T

Magnus T

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted July 28 2004 - 01:17 AM

Let me clarify what Superbit Deluxe is since you obviously don't know. The Superbit concept is ALWAYS having the movie ONLY on one disc. A Superbit Deluxe consists of only the movie on one disc and the extras on another disc. There's no good reason for CTHV not to do this.
There is no spoon...
but there is a fork with a cork!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users