What's new

Andy Griffith Show Season 1-Any Info Yet? (1 Viewer)

Dan Lassiter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Lassiter
I recall the first season of The Andy Griffith Show was spoken of a few months back for release in September. I still have not heard a firm date or seen any cover art or any more discussion of this.

I believe it was to be released by Paramount if I'm not mistaken.

Has anyone heard any more about the greatest comedy series of all time. All I know is I can't wait for this one!

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
October 12 is the last date I heard.

I'm not aware of a press release on special features, etc... that info should be available sometime in August.

-Scott

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Funny you should ask. Amazon just today (or maybe yesterday) put Season One of Andy G. up for Pre-Order. (No info as yet on Special Features.) :emoji_thumbsup: :) ..............

THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW: COMPLETE FIRST SEASON;
RELEASE DATE -- OCTOBER 12, 2004.

Great price! Just $27.29 for the 4-Disc collection, which will include these 32 episodes..............

The New Housekeeper (Originally Aired: 10/3/1960)
The Manhunt (10/10/1960)
The Guitar Player (10/17/1960)
Ellie Comes to Town (10/24/1960)
Irresistible Andy (10/31/1960)
Runaway Kid (11/7/1960)
Andy the Matchmaker (11/14/1960)
Opie's Charity (11/28/1960)
A Feud Is a Feud (12/5/1960)
Ellie for Council (12/12/1960)
Christmas Story (12/19/1960)
Stranger in Town (12/26/1960)
Mayberry Goes Hollywood (1/2/1961)
The Horse Trader (1/9/1961)
Those Gossipin' Men (1/16/1961)
The Beauty Contest (1/23/1961)
Alcohol and Old Lace (1/30/1961)
Andy the Marriage Counselor (2/16/1961)
Mayberry on Record (2/13/1961)
Andy Saves Barney's Morale (2/20/1961)
Andy and the Gentleman Crook (2/27/1961)
Cyrano Andy (3/19/1961)
Andy and Opie, Housekeepers (3/13/1961)
The New Doctor (3/27/1961)
A Plaque for Mayberry (4/3/1961)
The Inspector (4/10/1961)
Ellie Saves a Female (4/17/1961)
Andy Forecloses (4/24/1961)
Quiet Sam (5/1/1961)
Barney Gets His Man (5/8/1961)
The Guitar Player Returns (5/15/1961)
Bringing Up Opie (5/22/1961)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I'm eagerly awaiting this release, thanks for the link to Amazon.com David that looks like a good price that might be hard to beat.

Dave Farley

Second Unit
I hope they don't use the edited syndication versions. 32 episodes for such a low price worries me. The upcoming Happy Days release is priced very low as well, making me think it could be missing original music and scenes. I hope I'm wrong as these are two releases I'm looking forward to buying.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I was thinking along those lines as well.

Although I'm doubting a bigger-name outfit like Paramount is going to risk ticking off so many "TAGS" fans (and we know from the show's popularity that there are a bunch) by NOT putting uncut shows on the DVDs and by not utilizing the original whistling theme.

Plus -- given the track record of just about every TV show to date that's been put on DVD (not counting the cheap-o, horrid Public Domain releases; just talking about the better-quality seasonal sets), it would be very surprising to me if Paramount went against the grain of the current season-set trend by placing chopped-up, altered versions of any TV show onto DVD -- esp. a beloved classic like "TAGS". If they did/do that, they better start running for the hills -- because the TAGS lynch mob will soon be after them. :)

I'm guessing, given the pretty low MSRP, that Special Features will be non-existent (or virtually so); and they'll be putting just the eps. on the 4 discs. But a few bonuses WOULD be nice, IMO. I know there are a bunch of original CBS TV commercials (Sanka, Grape Nuts cereal) that could be included as extras.

It'd be exactly 8 episodes per disc, which (sans any extras) should still yield A-1 PQ -- a la TMTMS, which also has 8 eps. per disc and they look terrific.

BTW -- Can someone answer this inquiry? ..... Does it take up "more disc room" to put a Color show onto DVD vs. a B&W program? Or does it not make a bit of difference?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Unless I miss my mark, the set to look to as a guide for TAGS is Have Gun-Will Travel. It is also on the Paramount label, also contains over 30 episodes (it has 39 episodes), and is also to be handled by the CBS division. I'm certainly no expert, but I don't believe any of the HGWT episodes are cut. A couple of them seem to have a syndication credits sequence--I assume the original endings were lost--but it's a great set, and I have every confidence TAGS will be just as pleasing.

Seven episodes per disc seems to be the magic number for 30-minute shows. Obviously, those numbers won't work out if it's really four discs. I bet eight is right.

Dan Lassiter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Lassiter
From what I remember reading in the original announcement, the shows will be in their uncut form for the first time since first broadcast. I swear I remember possibly 6 minutes will be restored to each show, but I could be wrong there.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
Looking forward to TAGS.

And by the way, Happy Days isn't really priced low at all, it's only 16 episodes. That TAGS price, on the other hand, is amazing.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
And yes David, I've have been told in the past (probably here) that it takes more disk space to replicate a high quality color program than the same video/audio time in black and white.

All in the Family has 8 color episodes per disk at about 25 minutes. Married With Chidren has 9 at about 23 minutes. I don't either would be described as great reproduction. Good enough for me.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

I wonder if they'll add back in the tag scenes that were in-character advertisements for coffee and the like.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
Well the Box is up at TVshowsonDVD. It says 15 hours, 15 minutes, which assuming it's just the 32 episodes is an average of 28.59 minutes per episode.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Yes, true. But we must also consider that AITF is from a "Taped" source, not film. That is, I've always assumed, the reason the AITF eps. look quite a bit worse (PQ-wise) than, say, TMTMS -- which look great (and it's a color show done on "film" and not tape).

Hopefully, Paramount will do up Anj & Barn the right way -- meaning: "The Dick Van Dyke Show way!" :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Sometimes the picture of a box type doesn't match (thickness-wise) the real thing. Perhaps the thickness of the TAGS box is distorted a bit by the picture.

But I hope you're right (re. "ThinPaks"). I'd like that. It'd somewhat match the Van Dyke Show presentation (plus those are both Danny Thomas/Sheldon Leonard productions; so there's a link in that regard).

I really like the cover art! (A perfect image to fit the spirit of the series -- Andy & Opie at the fishin' hole. Nice.) :) ...............

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
There's no possible way that 15:15 figure is correct -- unless they're giving us all the original CBS commercials integrated into the episodes (which is highly unlikely). Each ep. (sans comms.) should run about 25:30 or so.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
It appears that there's some confusion as to the true MSRP of "TAGS-S.1". Amazon & DVDEmpire seem to favor the lower ($39+) SRP; while DDD and DVD Planet like a $49.95 figure.

:confused:

I noticed that TVShowsOnDVD doesn't show ANY MSRP on its site (which is very unusual for any release).

Perhaps David L. or Gord L. can fill us in on what the proper price should be.

So, TAGS fans, I'd recommend Pre-Ordering from Amazon now, just in case the higher figure is correct & is changed later.

Note, also, that that DDD take-home price (just $28) is being based on the higher MSRP. (42% off!) Imagine the great deal at that e-store if they had put up a $39 MSRP? (It'd be around $23 based on their current 42% discount. :eek: )

At that incredible price, you could buy a couple sets, and still probably have ample coin jingling in the pockets of your Salt-'n-Pepper suit to treat Anj and Thelma Lou to the Blue-Plate Special at "The Diner". (Plus, enough to leave that quarter tip for Juanita!) :) :)

Reggie K.

Agent

IIRC, Paramount DVD's do not have SRP's. They tell the dealer how much each set is going to cost them, it is up to the dealer to price them. They started doing this with their Star Trek DVD's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks