Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Buzz Noise from Receiver when TV is On.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 Glenn Verde

Glenn Verde

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted July 19 2004 - 02:28 AM

I am getting a low buzz noise through my speakers when the TV is turned on to play DVDs. When I just listen to music and the TV is off, there is no noise. At first I thought there was some kind of ground loop causing the noise and thought it could be my NAD reciver or my amp, until I found out that the TV being on was causing it. Could the noise be coming from a bad groung through the cable box? Thanks. Glenn

#2 of 3 ColinM

ColinM

Screenwriter

• 2,057 posts

Posted July 19 2004 - 03:00 AM

Interference from the CRT, methinks. I get the same thing, but my AVR is stacked next to the TV in a cabinet, so I'm not suprised.
You call that a knife?

#3 of 3 Lee Distad

Lee Distad

Stunt Coordinator

• 166 posts

Posted July 19 2004 - 03:34 AM

Also, you may well have a ground loop hum coming from your RF cable line.

If it's not properly grounded, the simplest and cheapest way to eliminate it is to buy two 75-ohm to 300-ohm pigtail connectors, mate them so that the 300-ohm ends are together, and interpose the contraption into the cable line before it reaches your cable box.

I'm no electrician (not even close), but it's a $3 solution that was shown to me years ago, and time and again it works, although in all honesty, I have no idea why. I can guess, but better qualified people than me on this board can probably explain it better.