What's new

DIY Projector mounts. (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Show me your DIY projector mount! As you may have read in the projectors forum I'm buying a front projector since my RPTV died. I will want to build my own projector mount, and I'd like to see yours or see links to places that show you how to make one. I'm planning on a DIY screen as well.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
What kind of projector? I have lots of links and stuff for unistrut mounting of CRT projectors, but if you're talking digitals, that's probably way overkill...;)

Michael Carey

Auditioning
OK, while I get my digital camera back from my boss to take some pictures of my DIY LCD projector ceiling mount, check out the Pictures page of my web site. I can't put a direct link in here yet so please check my profile to get the URL.
I have placed a small link at the bottom of my Pictures page that brings up a folder of images of my screen.
I got a local metal fabrication company to make it from 50mm Aluminum. The 25mm square tubing on the back was placed so I could fix brackts to the frame and then directly into the window frame behind my screen. The screen was able to be slid up and down to get a keystone free image and then fixed.
The actual screen was made out of cloth backed marine PVC, normally used on boats. The screen is held flat in the frame with a combination of stainless steel turnbuckles at each corner and black nylon cord threaded through the eyelets in the edge of the screen and small stainless steel eyes rivited to the frame.
I still have to make a black frame to cover the aluminum and mask the viewing area of the screen. Hopefully this will stop the "Dude, why is there a trampoline on your wall?" remarks!!
Stay tuned for pics of my DIY projector mount.
Regards,
Michael.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
I just made this for my X1 a couple weeks ago.

Couldn't have been easier. Three pieces of wood, two floor flanges, one really small piece of threaded pipe to join the the floor flanges, various bolts and screws, an old wall speaker mount, and a battery :D

I can adjust the tilt with the old speaker mount and adjust the left to right with the threaded pipe.

The mount wasn't quite level so the battery fixed that :)

I just made a page on my site about my X1 which has more details about the mount that I made. You can see the page here http://www.moesrealm.com/hometheater/infocus-x1.html

If I can be of any help let me know.

My G70 was a lot easier to mount :D

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Like Chris Moe's above, I built mine with 1.5" galvanized pipe and floor flanges with 3/4" mdf plates. The component cables hide nicely inside the pipe for a clean look and the total price tag was about $12.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Here is mine. It is a little different than most but gives me a built-in look that matches the rest of the theater decor - sanded antique white for all trim and wood detail. It is holding an HS20.

You can see in the next pic that the box slides open. I actually mount the projector to the slide out mount first and then slide it into the ceiling box. This makes it very easy to mount.

Anthony F.

Stunt Coordinator
I have a somewhat low ceiling and was able to use this secured directly to the tripod mount on my Panasonic projector (pretty light weight). Up for over a year with no problems. (Edit--just saw the weight rating on this one, and the one I have supports over 10 pounds, not 2.5)

Omnimount

HeatherM

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone found a good solution for mounting the Infocus X1 projector? I was thinking of using a ceiling fan mount and possibly a piece of wood. The wood would be used to secure the Infoucs (which has three screw holes) to the ceiling mount pipe. I would rather not use wood b/c it is not very appealing to the eye. Does anyone have a better idea of something I can use to screw th Infocus into? Does anyone think that my idea would work?

Conrad Ebel

Agent
I like the plexi idea with the pipe fittings for my (future) SP4805. That's probaly what I'm going to do. What thickness plexi will I need? I only remember the thin stuff at Home Depot. Do they have any thicker stuff there?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks