What's new

Colorized Stooges Why Columbia Why ? (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Regardless that the B&W versions will be there its a travestry that the next batch of Stooges Classics will be colorized by Columbia. I tell you no respect for the past

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I don't understand the problem as long as the B&W version is still available. It's really simple - don't watch the colorized version, just as you don't watch the Fullscreen version of a film such as Monsters, Inc. that has both on the same DVD set.

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator
I think the problem is that they're going to implement the discs with two angles so that viewers can flip between the colorized and b&w versions on the fly. I can't understand why they decided to do it this way, because it seems like it's going to lead to more compression artifacts.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
The real problem is that there will be four shorts on each disc. There could have been at least eight.

And some of the shorts have previously been released by Columbia on earlier dvds.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
And why now, instead of 20 years ago?

This is Columbia we're talking about. All the illogic of Disney Home Video, none of the "magic."

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
I think the only real problem here is that it feels like they're testing the waters. What happens if they get a huge positive reaction to having them colorized? Will they continue to release the B&W along with the colorized? Or will they start having dual releases with some stores (like Wal*Mart for example) choosing only to stock the colorized versions?

As long as the two versions get released together, I'm ok with that. I just hope this doesn't eventually lead to a future where only the colorized versions of B&W movies are available.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I've always been a Stooges fan but I stopped collecting these DVDs a while back already. Too pricey, and to tell you the truth, I didn't like the way the shorts were being matched up. Do you think I'm living in a dream to hope that one day Columbia offers: The Complete Curly Collection, The Complete Shemp Collection, The Complete Joe Besser Collection?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
That would be good. Something similar to what WB and Disney are doing with their short cartoon libraries.

Considering the truly reasonable rates on their TV show sets (which come out to a dollar an episode), Columbia are using a release/pricing mode that has been practically the same as when Coca-Cola owned the studio. This is what keeps me from buying more of the Stooges DVDs.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Bad idea all the way around. Colorized versions drive up the cost, take up disc space, and reduce the number of shorts that can appear on one disc.

Joe Lozo - I like Joe Besser too. I think he was a very underrated comedian. His work with A&C was priceless even if his work with the Stooges wasn't the cream of the crop.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks