Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

ESPN Top 25 Sports Movies

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#1 of 52 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted June 30 2004 - 04:52 AM

ESPN Top 25 - 25 Years

As picked by ESPN's Expert Panel and a separate list by SportsNation users.

Anyway, I'm sure everyone will agree wholeheartedly with both lists. Posted Image

#2 of 52 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted June 30 2004 - 05:00 AM

How the hell is The Hurricane a sport movie?!

--
H

#3 of 52 OFFLINE   Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor

• 962 posts

Posted June 30 2004 - 05:21 AM

How is Finding Forrester one as well ???
Good lord, there's nothing worse than the foul stench of desperation when someone wants to be famous.

- Luis Esp

#4 of 52 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted June 30 2004 - 05:33 AM

Quote:
The Hurricane

I would venture to guess because Carter was a boxer and a Bob Dylan song (he could've been champion of the world).

Quote:
Finding Forrester

The main character is mainly a basketball player, and it figures to be a big part of his life. He just happens to be gifted in writing.

Searching for Bobby Fischer is the questionable one, but then my definition of sports is pretty strict.

#5 of 52 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,442 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted June 30 2004 - 05:39 AM

um where's Ben-Hur (1959)? Posted Image

eeek no Rollerball (1975) either??

Oh jeez I can't see Rocky (1976) on the list, a misprint!!?
Blame the sequels for diminishing any respect the first Rocky had.

Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#6 of 52 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted June 30 2004 - 05:43 AM

The lists are a bit odd. I realize Ruben Carter was a boxer, but The Hurricane isn't a sports movie. And surely the original Rocky deserves to be somewhere on one of those 2 lists.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#7 of 52 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted June 30 2004 - 05:49 AM

Well I put 25 years in the link text but I guess I should have been more clear. I think its 1979-2004 (the time period ESPN has been around). I was wondering myself if Miracle got over-looked or if there was a cut-off date. I'm too lazy to look around ESPN for an explanation of the rules/process. Posted Image

#8 of 52 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,790 posts

Posted June 30 2004 - 05:57 AM

Nevermind. I didn't see the 25 years listing until I went to another page on EPSN.

Fine list, fine list. Posted Image

- Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#9 of 52 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted June 30 2004 - 05:57 AM

Quote:
Searching for Bobby Fischer is the questionable one, but then my definition of sports is pretty strict.
I can look at this both ways. The main reason (I think) that it would not be considered a sport, is due to a lack of physical activity. OTOH, chess as played at the highest levels requires considerable physical stamina and discipline in order to concentrate for long periods of time (top tournaments take a while). Certainly there is no question as to the competitive challenge, nor to will and determination to succeed being important components, along with natural talent and the long training that it takes to bring that talent to fruition.

Probably the same arguments can be made about cards. Duplicate bridge comes to mind, and probably the plethora of poker tournaments on TV these days.

Don’t forget that it was ESPN that brought us spelling bees as sports.
¡Time is not my master!

#10 of 52 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted June 30 2004 - 06:10 AM

Quote:
Not a terrible list, but like most of these there are probably a few too many recent films for my liking...

I think that the 25 year rule disqualifies all your additions, with the possible exception of Breaking Away (a gem of a small movie). 1979 should be the cutoff year, so I would have thought that this one could have been included.

Hoop Dreams is the one missing that I think should be included (along with Breaking Away if it was eligable (and if it was, perhaps North Dallas Fourty as well).

EDIT: sorry Walter, I did not read your second post.
¡Time is not my master!

#11 of 52 OFFLINE   Scott Shanks

Scott Shanks

Second Unit

• 381 posts
  • LocationLouisville, Ky

Posted June 30 2004 - 06:14 AM

Rocky not making the list is just wrong. The Color Of Money shouldn't have made the cut in my opinion.

All of their lists are flawed, though. The list of the Top 25 worst teams of all time does not include the 1976 Tampa Bay Buccaneers. They were the first team (I'm pretty sure) in the modern NFL era to lose every game in a season. The head coach John McKay was the only redeeming value in the entire season with the quotes he would come up with in his press conferences after yet another loss.

When asked what he thought about his team's offensive execution, he replied, "I think that's a great idea!". He also made the suggestion that since his team could not win on the road and could not win at home, that all of their future games be played at a neutral site. It was hillarious.
Scott Shanks
Louisville, KY
My DVD Collection

#12 of 52 OFFLINE   Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch

Screenwriter

• 2,156 posts

Posted June 30 2004 - 06:35 AM

Lew, I'm pretty sure I remember reading that documentaries weren't eligible. Scott, Rocky came out in 1976 and the earliest possible release year for inclusion was 1979. That also explains the '76 Bucs not being included, as all the lists only encompass the ESPN era (1979-present).
"Old theatres are irreplaceable. They could never be duplicated at today's costs - but more importantly, their spirit could not be duplicated because they remind us of a day when going to the show was a more glorious and escapist experience. I think a town's old theatres are the sanctuary of...

#13 of 52 OFFLINE   ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait

Screenwriter

• 2,187 posts

Posted June 30 2004 - 06:43 AM

I think Rudy is about 21 places too low on the ESPN experts list. When I voted, my top 5 were:

1) Field of Dreams
2) Hoosiers
3) Rudy
4) Raging Bull
5) Caddyshack

I'm glad the Mighty Ducks didn't make the list. They're not bad movies, just not really good ones.

#14 of 52 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted June 30 2004 - 06:46 AM

Quote:
Lew, I'm pretty sure I remember reading that documentaries weren't eligible.

Thanks Andrew—that would explain it.

My all-time top sports list would include Downhill Racer—which does not seem to be very well known today.
¡Time is not my master!

#15 of 52 OFFLINE   Scott Shanks

Scott Shanks

Second Unit

• 381 posts
  • LocationLouisville, Ky

Posted June 30 2004 - 06:53 AM

Thanks for the clarification, Andrew. Makes me feel a little better about the choices.
Scott Shanks
Louisville, KY
My DVD Collection

#16 of 52 OFFLINE   Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch

Screenwriter

• 2,156 posts

Posted June 30 2004 - 08:05 AM

No problem. When ESPN.com is your homepage and the only TV channels you ever watch are ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNews, you tend to know those kinds of things off the top of your head.Posted Image
"Old theatres are irreplaceable. They could never be duplicated at today's costs - but more importantly, their spirit could not be duplicated because they remind us of a day when going to the show was a more glorious and escapist experience. I think a town's old theatres are the sanctuary of...

#17 of 52 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted June 30 2004 - 08:20 AM

I didn't catch the time limit regarding Rocky. That would also explain some other missing films I was wondering about such as Body & Soul, and the ultimate ESPN tough guy chick flick disguised as a guy movie so it's OK for sports fans to cry, Bang the Drum Slowly. Posted Image
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#18 of 52 OFFLINE   MichaelD

MichaelD

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted June 30 2004 - 08:38 AM

The Sandlot definitely should have made it, expecially over The Hurricane or Finding Forrester.

#19 of 52 OFFLINE   Chris_Richard

Chris_Richard

Supporting Actor

• 515 posts

Posted June 30 2004 - 09:04 AM

I just have a problem with films like Field of Dreams or Bang the Drum Slowly being classified as sports films. In films like these the sport is either a metaphor or ancillary to the main action.

I agree, both Breaking Away and The Sandlot should be on the list. Cobb? Only to induce sleep.

#20 of 52 OFFLINE   Richard Kim

Richard Kim

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted June 30 2004 - 09:16 AM

I can't believe that Slap Shot didn't make the list. Posted Image

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow