Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Avi Arad talks 7 more sequels for Spider Man

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

#1 of 55 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted June 27 2004 - 08:00 AM

http://superherohype...dex.php?id=1624

wow that is a lot

Quote:
Spider-Man 4 or more? "Sure. We wanna go to nine. You're looking at something that started in 1962, became on its own in 63, and thriving. Every time we do it, I think this movie, in my opinion, is better than the first one. I think we get the story. It's not about planning 6, 7, 8. If we all sit around and get stuck, we say we really don't have a story to tell, then we'll stop. Spider-Man and Peter Parker are too valuable just to put them out there. I hope the characters don't age too quickly. I don't think so, they seem pretty young. Again, we shouldn't think that far. But opportunities for material and stories within the Spidey universe, technically you can go on for a long time.

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#2 of 55 OFFLINE   Shoaib Lateef

Shoaib Lateef

Second Unit

• 403 posts

Posted June 27 2004 - 09:00 AM

read my lips :

AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN...
Displays: Panasonic AE900U projector, Sony A10 series 50" RP LCD, Samsung LN-T4642H flat panel LCD
HD-DVD: Toshiba HD-A2
Blu-Ray: Samsung BD-P1000

Format Neutral: I swing both ways!

#3 of 55 OFFLINE   Magnus T

Magnus T

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted June 27 2004 - 09:00 AM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
There is no spoon...
but there is a fork with a cork!

#4 of 55 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted June 27 2004 - 09:17 AM

I could picture two more, but definitely not seven. It's just a strange number. Do they have storylines or particular character arcs they wish to fulfill?
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#5 of 55 OFFLINE   Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony

Producer

• 3,218 posts

Posted June 27 2004 - 09:35 AM

No, but they have merchandising to think about..

#6 of 55 OFFLINE   Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted June 27 2004 - 09:46 AM

If they start doing the future sequels every four years instead of 2, it could work.Think of it like James Bond. Posted Image
At last my body is reunited with my soul which was always feminine.

#7 of 55 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted June 27 2004 - 09:56 AM

I read Kirsten Dunst says she is out after 3 and doesn't think Tobey Maguire and Sam Raimi will do any more. She also said she hopes Spidey dies and leaves her pregnant with a litter.
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#8 of 55 OFFLINE   Scott Thomas

Scott Thomas

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted June 27 2004 - 03:07 PM

Well, from a super-villan stand point there's:

The Lizard
Hob-Goblin
Venom
Carnage
Kraven
Mysterio
Electro
Shocker
Black Cat
Green Goblin 2 (Harry Osbourne)
Doppler-ganger
Demi-Goblin
Silver Mane
Hydro-man
Sand-man

and I'm sure MANY more

#9 of 55 OFFLINE   Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor

• 7,588 posts

Posted June 27 2004 - 03:14 PM

Well none of the primaries is critical to the franchise IMO. They have all done outstanding work of course, but other great directors, producers, actors, etc. do actually exist.

As long as they have good scripts and can replace talented people with other talented people then I say go for it.

Bond and Dracula have both been revisited as characters time and again and the success is dependent on who is doing the film and the script more than "the character just got tired".

Spidey is one of the all-time great characters, period. Hero or otherwise. Lots of material and conflict to be mined if they want to.

I like his attitude of "hey, we aren't planning it, but we also aren't anti-planning it (ie, ruling it out)". If they can make more good ones even without the original artists then why not?

BTW, clearly they need to do EIGHT of them. Posted Image

#10 of 55 OFFLINE   Paul_Sjordal

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts

Posted June 27 2004 - 04:54 PM

I wish I could be as optimistic as you, Seth, but let's face it: the chances aren't good.

Sci-fi/fantasy/superhero franchises traditionally turn to crap by the third movie or so, then die a horrible death one or two movies after that. As for the Bond comparison, I'm not sure that inspires me; I happen to think the Bond movies stink and always have.
“It’s great to be known, but it’s even better to be known as strange.” —Takeshi Kaga

#11 of 55 OFFLINE   Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted June 27 2004 - 05:14 PM

It is possible, the superman series went strong. I just don't see 9 happening at the pace that are right now.

#12 of 55 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted June 27 2004 - 05:49 PM

Silver Sable should be added to the list of baddies

also his spy parents android duplicates, the clones, ummm

Also Spider-Girl, his daughter from an alternate future could be a possible continuation of the film
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#13 of 55 OFFLINE   Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted June 27 2004 - 06:17 PM

Please let that be the last mention of the misbegotten clone storyline Posted Image
Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#14 of 55 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,897 posts

Posted June 27 2004 - 11:56 PM

Quote:
I read Kirsten Dunst says she is out after 3 and doesn't think Tobey Maguire and Sam Raimi will do any more.

The Wall Street Journal reported last week that Raimi and Maquire were on board for #4.
I posted the quote from the article in the Spider-Man 2 discussion thread.

#15 of 55 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted June 28 2004 - 12:37 AM

You guys are forgetting 2 villians I think could work really well on film 2 of my favs - Scorpion and The Vulture (I always preferred the old man version)

I thought the plan was for 6 films. Kirsten did say shes out after 3 but $$$ talks. With Sam and Tobey on for 4, I wouldnt be suprised to see Kirsten stay.If she doesnt they can always go on with out her.

I actually preferred when she wasnt around in the comics.

#16 of 55 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,287 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted June 28 2004 - 12:46 AM

Quote:
It is possible, the superman series went strong.
Only if you compare it to Batman. And that's only 'cause they had the original Superman to keep things from going too shitty.

I mean, if Superman IV hadn't had Reeve Supes and Hackman Lex it would have been just another power rangers-style clone.

#17 of 55 OFFLINE   Adam Portrais

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator

• 215 posts

Posted June 28 2004 - 01:34 AM

I'm going to have to agree with Seth. I'd love to see as many Spider-Man Movies as long as they are done at the same level of quality as the first and second (of which I'll be seeing tonight!!!).

Oh, and Tory, don't ever mention the Clones again.Posted Image
(that is unless it's to bash them Posted Image )

#18 of 55 OFFLINE   Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted June 28 2004 - 02:49 AM

It's not impossible to consider. Initially, the Salkinds had envisioned somewhere between 7-10 "Superman" films with Christopher Reeve in the role. Of course, we all know fully well what happened there.

Then, of course, there's the "Zatoichi" (sp?) series from Japan, with at least 27 films in that series (not counting the TV series or the recent remake).

But realistically, as for a planned series of films, the sequel should be as good as the first one in order to sustain the life of the series. If there's more "Spider-Man" films in the works, I'll be happy with them, as long as the quality is maintained from the original and the new sequel. If not, it could easily go by the wayside big time - can we all say "Batman and Robin"?
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#19 of 55 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted June 28 2004 - 03:50 AM

Quote:
Only if you compare it to Batman. And that's only 'cause they had the original Superman to keep things from going too shitty.

If you can't speak up, who is going to listen to you?

#20 of 55 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted June 29 2004 - 02:32 AM

Batman and Superman suffered because the directors changed. If Raimi sticks onto this for the long run, who knows what could happen. Back-to-back shooting is the best bet, IMHO. If they do LOTR-like filming and kill three birds with one stone, they could have Dunst on for 3, 4, and 5. Or, they could go onto unprecented ground and shoot all 7 at once. Posted Image

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow