Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Looney Tunes Golden Collection 2 - List of cartoons

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
169 replies to this topic

#41 of 170 Paul Miller

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor

• 567 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 07:13 PM

After the last set, I had hoped we would get more Wile E. Coyote and "Hyde and Hare" so I am happy.

Only complaint I have is, I really wish there was some (or any) Foghorn Leghorn on it. He was sort of ignored on the first DVD and on this set he didn't get anything at all.

Paul

#42 of 170 LeonaB

LeonaB

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 08:26 PM

Truthfully, I would prefer that they release sets devoted to single characters. I'm a Bugs Bunny fanatic, so I'd like just "The Complete Bugs Bunny" DVDs.

Any chance of that happening?

#43 of 170 Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

• 1,065 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 12:29 AM

Quote:
I Love To Singa makes it all worth the money, te others are great too but this is by far the best "Owl" Jolson cartoon! A Great Tex Avery!

That's one of my 3 favorites on this disc (Besides the classic Bugs of course...he's still number 1). My other favorites are One Froogy Evening and The Three Little Bops. A definite MUST BUY!
I'm a classic TV fan. Widescreen? What's that?

#44 of 170 Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 02:06 AM

Since they have begun the series like this, I doubt they will release character sets. Personally, I would love character sets as well, as the Complete Bugs would be the first thing I would buy, followed by the complete Road Runner followed by Daffy.
http://doctordoom.blogspot.com

We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#45 of 170 Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 04:58 AM

Thanks for the scoop, Gord & Dave.

Obviously this one's a must-buy for me.

It'll be interesting to see if there's a 2-disc set also. I'm guessing WB was using the 2-tiered release as a test and the Big Set won! Actually I'd be quite curious to see the sales figures for Golden vs. Platinum.

#46 of 170 Jorge Montes

Jorge Montes

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 05:05 AM

A bit too heavy on the Sylvester and Tweety, but with all that Road Runner/Coyote, why the heck am I complaining?! Go WB! Total must buy!!

#47 of 170 Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted June 20 2004 - 06:14 AM

I don't think I'd want a "complete" set devoted to just one character. I think it would be too much to watch 55-60 cartoon shorts containing the same character. I'm glad they're spreading these out.

These Golden Collections are perfect. They offer a very nice variety so people won't get bored with just one thing. Take the first set for example. The first disc contained 14 Bugs Bunny shorts, which was the perfect amount. The second disc focussed on Porky Pig & Daffy.....a beautiful mixture of cartoons there. Then disc 3 & 4 had a mixed bag of all the favorites. Perfect.

A set with just one character would be a little too monotonous for me, and it would probably take a great deal of time to get through something like that. That's only my opinion anyway.
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#48 of 170 Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 07:32 AM

Hopefully a release day purchase. Excellent list without using up the options box for an awesome third volume. Posted Image

#49 of 170 Joseph G.

Joseph G.

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 07:48 PM

I'm really excited about this one, The first golden collection is one of if not the best tv on dvd box set I own. Warner truly did a great job with the first volume, just as I'm sure they will do with the 2nd volume. Can't wait, immediate must buy!

#50 of 170 AndrewCrossett

AndrewCrossett

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 01:40 AM

I'm glad to see "Dover Boys" made the cut...the first classic Chuck Jones cartoon.

I was also hoping for "Miss Glory" (the first classic Avery), but you can't have everything.

I wonder if "Have You Got Any Castles" will include the original opening with the Alexander Wolcott caricature. Does that footage even exist anymore?

#51 of 170 PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 03:55 AM

Why is this in the TV forum? Posted Image

#52 of 170 Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 05:21 AM

No "Transylvainia 6-5000"? Bummer! One of my favs! Other than that, looks like another excellent set! Posted Image

#53 of 170 Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

• 1,065 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 06:47 AM

Quote:
Why is this in the TV forum?

Because these cartoons have existed exclusively on TV for the past 40 yrs.
I'm a classic TV fan. Widescreen? What's that?

#54 of 170 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,886 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted June 21 2004 - 07:05 AM

Quote:
I don't think I'd want a "complete" set devoted to just one character. I think it would be too much to watch 55-60 cartoon shorts containing the same character. I'm glad they're spreading these out.

Not only that, but it's a shrewd business move for WB. Just think: everybody knows a Bugs Bunny set would sell well, but would a Speedy Gonzales set or a Tweety set sell equally as well as Bugs? Most likely not.

By mixing things up a bit, they can spread out their more popular characters (Bugs, Daffy, Road Runner) over the course of many more releases, and at the same time, sprinkle in lesser-known characters and stand-alone cartoons (just like you mix in a few of the "stinkers" with the classics, because who is going to buy a set that has a huge proportion of unpopular 'toons on it).

#55 of 170 PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 07:31 AM

Quote:

This can be said for about 99% of all theatrical motion pictures; doesn't mean that if you can only see it on TV, it's a TV product. These shorts were made for theatrical distribution and were originally shown in theaters. They are no different than any motion picture that they were shown in front of. You wouldn't put Psycho, for example, in a TV forum, would you, although for most people they could only see the film on TV for the past 40 years. These shorts have nothing to do with TV and this thread should be mereged with the one that's in HT Software forum. It's sad that people think Looney Tunes is a freaking TV show!

#56 of 170 Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 08:02 AM

I agree with ya Paul, 100%. These are theatrical shorts, not "TV Shows". I butted heads over this several months ago (the thread probably still exists) to no avail. Even a mod I PMed didn't care (or even understand the distinction!). So I've tried to rein in my armchair moderating, as hard as it is to do so! Posted Image

Nevertheless, I'm limiting my commentary on the Looney Tunes DVDs to the thread over in the proper forum Posted Image

P.S. To be fair, a few of the bonus features in the first set were of television origin. But that's the case with many DVD bonus features, "HBO First Look" featurettes and what have you.
-Jay

#57 of 170 WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,213 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 08:29 AM

Quote:
No "Transylvainia 6-5000"? Bummer!

Yeah, I was hoping for that as well along with "Rebel Rabbit"

I like how they are including a bunch Road Runner/Coyote shorts. I was hoping for at least one with Wile E. and Bugs. The set seems to be pretty light on Bugs Bunny/Yosemete Sam shorts as well. I was hoping for the one where Sam was going to inherit a bunch of money but he loses some everytime he blows his temper with Bugs. Knighty Knight Bugs would have been great as well. Would have also liked to have seen the one where Bugs dresses up like Granny to thwart Sam from marrying her for her money. I would have liked to have seen at least one short with Sam and Ralph also. But I guess we can't have then all at the same time. Any speculations on Special Features? I would expect commentaries. It seems like they really packed the first set, so what else is out there that would make for good supplimentary material?
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#58 of 170 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,381 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 02:57 PM

Gord and I report on Looney Tunes releases at TVShowsOnDVD because of television series after television series, year after year, that shows these, in largely the same format they were produced in.

We should, and possibly will, report the same way about the upcoming Tom & Jerry collection, since the theatrical shorts for them were also shown on weekly nationally broadcast TV series, starting in 1965. The important difference is that the shorts were modified, both for aspect ratio in several cases, but also with wrap-around sequences added and with some editing. So Gord & I have to discuss, but we may "rule against".

Compare both of those with, say, Three Stooges, which have never had a nationally televised regular weekly (or daily) series that ran their film shorts in a TV Series slot. The shows were broadcast separately on all sorts of occassions, but never shown as a "TV Show". At least as far as we know. So by-and-large, it's out.

I use these to explain why Looney Tunes is news-worthy at TVShowsOnDVD, and by way of that explain why I put this thread in the HTF "TV-on-DVD" section. If a mod wants to move this to the "Films on DVD" section, then that's up to them; either is suitable.

For more debate on either Tom & Jerry, or Three Stooges, let's start a separate thread. Instead of hijacking this one! Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#59 of 170 PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 04:10 PM

Dave, with all due respect, what you say

Quote:
Gord and I report on Looney Tunes releases at TVShowsOnDVD because of television series after television series, year after year, that shows these, in largely the same format they were produced in.

is still the same argument as

Quote:

Please, these shorts are not a TV show. Yes perhaps they later were modified for a TV format, but anyway, that's not what we'll be getting. We'll be getting the actual original theatrical cartoons. Same with Tom and Jerry.

#60 of 170 Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 04:15 PM

Hey, TVShowsOnDVD is your site, you can post whatever you like there, no matter how off-charter it is. Posted Image

I'm glad you did, since I was eager for the info..TV or not TV!
-Jay

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow